Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Lab Bosstone Fuzz VS. Super Fuzz

All you Voodoo Lab lovers . . . .

. . . can you guys tell me what is the diff's (in tone) between the older VDLab Bosstone (two knob) fuzz, and the newer VDLab Super Fuzz ?

Or is the Super Fuzz just a Bosstone version with more knobs ?

I already have the Super Fuzz. So is it worth getting the older two knob Bosstone ?

Thanks guys

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Voodoo Lab Bosstone Fuzz VS. Super Fuzz

its the same circuit.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      its the same circuit.

. . . so it just have more knobs ?

Thanks.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

i believe so...they are both jordan bosstone clones.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Again, thank you very much !

Comment

Not really, I have an original 1970’s Jordan Bosstone (Based on the California circuit), Mahoney Buzz Tone which is a close copy of the Jordan Bosstone, Voodoo Lab’s Superfuzz, and had a older version (two knob) Voodoo Lab Fuzz.

The tone of each is different and while they are close to the original Jordan Bosstone, none are exactly like it.

The original was a pain to use, but when I was using it, I placed it into a home made pedal box that allowed me to turn it’s use on and off, as well as use it in a parallel mode in conjunction with a volume pedal - this was super great for an early Carlos Santana tone with killer sustain.

Closest is the Mahoney copy which is also called the Nashville sound of the Jordan Bosstone.

Finally, DYI sell a circuit that you can make that will get you that tone.

ENJOY

PS: I use a Wampler Velvet Fuzz which has the best fuzz tone of all!
            Last edited by Stratman; 04-07-2014, 04:37 AM.
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I have an original plug-into-the-guitar Bosstone, a VL Bosstone, and a Super Fuzz. I agree that the VL Bosstone is close in sound to the original, but not exact. The Super Fuzz has more tonal options.
              Mahoney makes both the original Bosstone plug-in units, and the same circuit in a pedal. I've always wanted to get one, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. He also sells replacement parts (like the thumbwheels and pots) for the originals, and also an adapter that coverts an original plug-in Bosstone into a pedal, so it can be used with guitars like Strats with angled input jacks. He also makes versions of many other Jordan pedals, in both forms. I think this guy is the king of Bosstone clones, I don't know why there isn't more discussion of his pedals.

http://mahoneyguitargear.com/

I don't see the knobs and adapter plate on this new site, but I think if you emailed him he probably still sells the parts and accessories. I know the knobs for the originals are on Ebay.

He also has an Ebay store, where he sells many of his products.

Al
              Last edited by Zombiwoof; 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X