banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

settings for boss DD7 and CE5 / and suggestions for others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• settings for boss DD7 and CE5 / and suggestions for others?

Im trying to get my pedal board dialed in. I run a Boss DD7 and CE5 currently and Im trying to find the best settings. On the delay, Im looking to get a great thick lead tone for soloing. (80s metal style mainly.)
    And then with the chorus, just want a good lush (but not over the top) chorus tone. My ears keep tricking me (im about 80% deaf, so not unusual) and one setting will sound good for a few min, then seems off.
    Does anyone use either of these pedals, and if you do, can you recommend some settings I can try as a starting reference?

Next, Can anyone recommend maybe a better delay and chorus pedal that wont break the bank, or are these pretty good when dialed in?

Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: settings for boss DD7 and CE5 / and suggestions for others?

I'm interested in seeing the suggestions on the CE-5 as well, as I just picked one up today.

Comment

The dd7 gets used on many pro gigging boards worldwide, so I would consider that to be a very good delay pedal. Not boutique but readily available in most shops, reliable onstage & sounding fine in a mix. No idea on the CE5.

I use dual delays(in series) on my gt10 for fatter sound without making a delay mess, one set to 30ms with very low feedback & other to ~500ms for longer delays. Ofcourse I can't do this with my pedalboard since I only have one delay pedal but I've found using modulated analog delay ~480ms with medium mod rate & low depth setting to fatten up the sound quite a lot. These settings don't really help with the dd7 much alone I guess but you can combine it with the CE5 to get more control. Try placing the CE5 before & after the delay to see where it helps if any.

Hmmn, see if you can find something in the tape or modulated mode on the dd7 that works. A little clean boost before the delay can help too to fatten things up. The best thing would be to get a second delay pedal or something that allows subdivisions might be useful too like the tc delay pedals.
      Last edited by Hank-; 04-09-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I used a CE5 for several years and could not find a setting that didn't end up feeling a bit too bright and unnatural. It always felt very much like an effect on top of the sound of the guitar and never really blended well into the sound. Traded it for a small clone and was much happier.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Turn knobs till you like the sound?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I used a CE5 for several years and could not find a setting that didn't end up feeling a bit too bright and unnatural. It always felt very much like an effect on top of the sound of the guitar and never really blended well into the sound. Traded it for a small clone and was much happier.
            AH ha!! Seems to be exactly my issue. I found settings that seem good for a bit, then it keeps sounding "just not right" but cant put my finger on why. Thus, my creation of this thread. So, maybe its not just me then. Thanks for the small clone suggestion. Ive heard many good things about them..

Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post
            Turn knobs till you like the sound?
            See above... Ive tried that for hours and get it where its close, but then seems not just right. So thats why I was reaching out. I think the CE5 may just not be the right pedal for me. With the Delay, Im kinda new to them, and Ive found a few tones I like, but its easy to get what may be too much. So, Im asking for advice as to see what has been tried and true and works best in a band sitch.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              AH ha!! Seems to be exactly my issue. I found settings that seem good for a bit, then it keeps sounding "just not right" but cant put my finger on why. Thus, my creation of this thread. So, maybe its not just me then. Thanks for the small clone suggestion. Ive heard many good things about them.
              Yeah, that's kinda where I kept ending up. There's something about it that just doesn't quite work . . . some weird bright/brittle thing that kept gnawing at me. I remember reading that there are two versions of the CE5, one is analog and the newer one is digital, mine was the digital version . . . don't know if that has anything to do with it though.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
              X