Recommend me a smooth OD pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a smooth OD pedal

I have been playing with the MOOG Drive. It is cool, two gain stages with the ability to go from light overdriven boost to punch in your gut distortion. The nice thing is it is very easy to control the voice of your guitar with the pedal it allows you to accentuate frequencies so it you want your mids to pop or a bit more sparkle on the high end it is easy to dial in.

Comment

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want a boost, but without fuzz or distortion? The Duncan SFX-01 is perfect for that job.

Comment

I use the Xotic EP Booster a lot. It is probably the only pedal I won't leave home without.

The Way Huge Pork Loin is also a great sounding OD with a lot of versatility. If the enclosure wasn't so darn big, it would live on my pedal board.
        Originally posted by DreX
        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

One of the smoothest OD pedals I have I'd the Blackstone MOSFET OD.

Some folks actually say the Blackstone is too smooth...I don't feel that way but it is smoother that anything else I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

thanks for all the recos guys.

So far, I'm digging what I'm hearing from the Zendrive/Zenith drive, the Barber Direct Drive, and the Xotic AC booster. Also piquing my interest are the Xotic SL drive, the Suhr Shiba Drive ReLoaded, and Wampler Euphoria/Ecstasy. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

The Timmy, while I can see why it's so desirable, not sure if that's for me. Seems almost like it'd be too transparent and too fuzzy. Seen a bunch of demos of it and I'm just not liking the sounds coming out of it.

I like the sounds coming out of that Horus overdrive more than the Timmy, but too much top end sparkle. I want something that'll smooth off the treble and be rich and creamy.

The SHO... I dig what it does, but same sorta deal as the Horus - I need smooth,warm, rich, not fat and sparkly.

Comment

You may also want to check out the JHS Colour Box.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've been getting incredible results with my Rawkworks Light OD. The range on the tone knob makes it surprisingly versatile, and it excels with the gain under 9 o clock.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Looks like there is no lack of smooth OD pedals to try!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I like the sweet honey for the most part. seems almost too crunchy though. opposite with the blackstone, I am hearing an overabundance of smoothness. I'd probably want it a bit more if I was looking for a standalone OD pedal to use through a clean amp. In both cases though, they're outta my price range.

The moog drive - I'm hearing what it can do and I want to like it but I don't. too fuzzy, not hearing the smooth warm and rich.

EP Booster - ehh cool pedal, not what I'm looking for.
                    Pork loin - yeah I quite like it too, but it is way too big for my tiny pedalboard and I'm not about to get a new, much bigger pedalboard just to accomodate one pedal.

Artie - I'm not really looking for a clean boost. I'm looking for an OD that I can use sorta like a boost. Thing is I'm stupid and don't rely entirely on my amp for gain, nor do I get all my dirt from pedals. I have my rig set up so that I can dial a whole bunch of "gain stages" to ramp up from pristine clean to over the top mega distortion. on my pedal board I have right now a modded Boss EQ which I use as a clean boost, and my OCD which I use as a gain stage that adds just a bit of gain and some focus in the mids. I can mix those two with the clean/drive/lead channels on my amp for a pretty large palette of drive sounds from my rig as a whole. Most of the time I just leave the EQ on though, and the OCD's switch gets a lot of use. Anyway I want to add another OD alongside the OCD because I don't like the way that the OCD grits up the lead channel on my amp. I've played around with the settings on the OCD ad nauseum, but it's fuzzy character still comes through even when it's set to really low gain levels.

What I basically want to do is have the EQ on all the time. Have this incoming new OD pedal on most of the time (because I don't use pristine cleans all that often) for just a touch of creamy drive (I prefer my amp's lead channel with the gain turned down a bit and then boosted with an OD as opposed to turning up the amp gain - there's better articulation that way...the amp tends to get a bit mushy with the gain knob too far up), and then use the OCD only as a mid+drive boost for leads, while using my amp's channels to set overall level of gain. That way, I figure I can get smooth distortion for my high gain rhythm sounds, and with the OCD used for leads, the grittiness/fuzziness doesn't matter so much.

Comment

This kind of sounds like what a tubescreamer does - so the barber ltd would probably do what you want.

Either that or a bluesbreaker-style pedal with the tone knob turned down a bit. Although the bluesbreaker is probably closer to what your OCD does anyway.

If you want to stay fulltone - maybe a fat boost pedal?
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                        Artie - I'm not really looking for a clean boost. I'm looking for an OD that I can use sorta like a boost. Thing is I'm stupid and don't rely entirely on my amp for gain, nor do I get all my dirt from pedals. I have my rig set up so that I can dial a whole bunch of "gain stages" to ramp up from pristine clean to over the top mega distortion. on my pedal board I have right now a modded Boss EQ which I use as a clean boost, and my OCD which I use as a gain stage that adds just a bit of gain and some focus in the mids. I can mix those two with the clean/drive/lead channels on my amp for a pretty large palette of drive sounds from my rig as a whole. Most of the time I just leave the EQ on though, and the OCD's switch gets a lot of use. Anyway I want to add another OD alongside the OCD because I don't like the way that the OCD grits up the lead channel on my amp. I've played around with the settings on the OCD ad nauseum, but it's fuzzy character still comes through even when it's set to really low gain levels.
                        I really think you would love the Rawkworks if you want to use your new pedal like this. I treat mine like an extra gain stage, both for my amp and my distortion pedal, and it is the most authentic approximation of such that I have tried. It helps you focus the mids just a bit but most importantly it seems to mesh with other amps/pedals better than anything I've ever tried. I use it with my Weehbo JMP Drive dialed in for a nice classic rock crunch, and when I kick on the Light OD (it precedes the JMP in my chain) it's like I turned up the gain on the pedal but it actually sounds better, go figure.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

In both cases though, they're outta my price range.
                          The Sweet Honey I tried was the circuit board version, not the hand-wired version. I'm pretty sure the pcb version was selling for $180 at G.C. Here's one I found on ebay for $169:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400666399013?lpid=82

Comment

oh cool! guess i won't count it out so quickly after all. it sounds pretty similar to the barber direct drive.

Comment

A Bad Monkey plugged into the mixer output, but into a normal amp. Very smooth, and adds sustain without much gain at all. The 2 EQ knobs help a lot.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'll second what GJ said. Sounds like you need a low gain OD and IMO no one does it better than Barber. The Direct Drive is a great pedal but probably too crunchy for what you stated you want it for. Look at the LTD or 1/2 Gainer.
                                -
                                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X