Eventide H9 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventide H9 questions

I'm considering getting an H9 for the last spot on my pedalboard. I was originally going to get just a straight up reverb pedal (Hardwire Supernatural) but I might be able to justify an H9 if it can do some stuff that my Strymon Timeline and Mobius combo can't. So, the questions:

If the plate reverb on the H9 isn't awesome I have no reason to get it. How is the plate reverb in your opinion? I'm not as interested in the spring, but I'd still like to hear opinions on that.

Is there a way to get some cool synth-esque tones out of it? It doesn't need to be any classic tones, I'm just looking for a bit more tweakability than what's on the filter machine of my Mobius.

How tweakable is the Ring Mod? There are some cool sounds in the destroyer machine of my Mobius but it doesn't seem geared toward regular ring mod tones, though it does get some.

Any other neat or interesting tidbits you would care to share about the H9 would be welcome. I'd love to try one but I don't think my local GC carries them. Besides, I won't have time to get out there and spend the kind of time I'd need with it for a few months.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Eventide H9 questions

Hi Ronnie,

The plate is awesome IMO. However you have to buy it extra - should have a coupon in the box for 1 free algorithm. Don't have the spring.

I'd say it should do what you want, but I have not played with the ring synth or synth. It does have some cool octave up/down presets. I like the leslie algo - its not a replacement for a Ventilator but its very cool.

Its only downside is that the dry signal is digitized. I use mine with a mixer.

You can control it from an iPhone or iPad as well as usb/Midi.
    Last edited by LReese; 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Excellent info, thanks Ronnie.

You got the Core too, right? Because that's the one I'd get if I went with an H9. Does it come with the coupon too? Because I'd hate to have to buy a buttload of different algorithms to get the H9 to do what I need.

I remember you saying that the leslie sim is good. Unfortunately, I've no need for that as the leslie on my Mobius keeps me very happy.

I forgot that it doesn't have analog dry through. That could be an issue for me, though I won't know until I try it. Which is a bit of an issue because there aren't any locally... I guess I'll need to find someone with one that will let me borrow it for a bit to see if it likes my rig. Do you know if the dry signal is digitized even when the pedal is off?

Thanks again.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Yep - My core also had the coupon. I went for the modechoverb, plate and purchased the Leslie. Most of the delays are dual delays and I typically use them straight from the preset (except the modechoverb) but dialing back the level significantly.

When the pedal is off you have the option for a buffered bypass.

Send my best to Nancy...

Comment

I love the thing. The reverbs are SPACE algorithms so IMO they are top knotch. It is a digital pedal but even using it mono I find the reverbs to be very warm. Synth-esque tones? There are some presets that sound like beautiful synth pads, I was using those a lot for the 80's synth pop gig. The RING MOD is very cool and a lot more flexible than other I have tried seeing most RIMG MODS have a few buttons and Eventide lets you drill into each parameter. I would personally get the H9 and not the Core due to all of the factory loaded algorithms. I got the RING MOD with the coupon.

Comment

Yep - get the regular H9 if you can afford the extra scratch.

Comment

I just flipped my Mobius to get an H9, I went with a Core. The main algorithms I want are TremoloPan, Octaver, and Synthotron. If you download the H9 control app you can listen to samples on your computer or iOS device. I've been wanting to add some kind of synth for a long time, and the Synthotron sounds perfect for my needs. Being able to grab a couple of the Space algorithms I really liked is icing on the cake. I already have a MIDI controller, so I'm looking forward to it.
              After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for chiming in guys, I appreciate it.

I keep flipping back and forth between getting an H9 and a standalone reverb pedal. I really don't NEED an H9 as pretty much everything I would use it for I can do with my Timeline, Mobius, and a good Reverb pedal. Does having pitch shifting and whatever synth tones the H9 can do that the Mobius can't do validate spending an extra $350? (And that doesn't even include any of the algorithms I really want.) Come to think of it, if I got an H9 I would immediately have to get either another power supply and a bigger board to fit it under. So buying an H9 now means I have to spend like $800. Yeesh.

I'm getting the board and a bigger supply anyway, but not until later this year. I think I'll just get a nice reverb pedal now and revisit the H9 later this year.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                  Interesting. Thanks for chiming in guys, I appreciate it.

I keep flipping back and forth between getting an H9 and a standalone reverb pedal. I really don't NEED an H9 as pretty much everything I would use it for I can do with my Timeline, Mobius, and a good Reverb pedal. Does having pitch shifting and whatever synth tones the H9 can do that the Mobius can't do validate spending an extra $350? (And that doesn't even include any of the algorithms I really want.) Come to think of it, if I got an H9 I would immediately have to get either another power supply and a bigger board to fit it under. So buying an H9 now means I have to spend like $800. Yeesh.

I'm getting the board and a bigger supply anyway, but not until later this year. I think I'll just get a nice reverb pedal now and revisit the H9 later this year.
                  Have you considered replacing the Mobius with an H9? I guess it depends on what all you use the Mobius for. I mostly used the trem and vibe, so the H9 covers that and does things the Mobius can't.

Comment

I haven't, but mostly for signal path reasons. I want my modulation before delay but reverb after it.

I also really love my Mobius. I played with a Modfactor once for like an hour or so and while I was impressed, I feel like I get more enjoyment out of the Mobius. I actually dislike the Vibe on the Mobius the most out of all of its machines - I have a dead on Univibe clone on my board and they sound NOTHING alike. The vibe on the Mobius is very digital sounding with distortion, like a bad Phase 45. Clean it's decent enough, but I can't get my Hendrix on with the Mobius's vibe. It's bad enough that the audience wouldn't know why the Mobius sounds bad but they would notice it did. And I don't use trem too much so the Mobius keeps me very happy. If it could do reverb I wouldn't even consider the H9.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

The Eventide vibe settings are very cool. The Space has a cool Tremverb setting, not sure if the H9 has it but I will check when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        The Eventide vibe settings are very cool. The Space has a cool Tremverb setting, not sure if the H9 has it but I will check when I get home
                        Yep, you can get all of the Space's algorithms. Tremoloverb is one of my favorites!

Comment

I think the H9 would be awesome to have. However, it would cost me about a grand to be able to use it the way I want to. Maybe someday.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

I was playing with it last night with the "Women In Love" setting. What a spot on VanHalen tone, I had fun for hours.

Comment

Well, it looks like one H9 can just about replace the Mobius AND Timeline for me. I am seriously considering a second H9 to replace the BigSky as well, but I'm going to sleep on it a bit first. I think a pair of H9s can give me just as much flexibility, if not more, as the "Strymon trinity" did.

I just downsized to this:

Comment

Working...
                              X