Tube screamer noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube screamer noise!

I dont use pedals much, I find my peavey jsx will get me there without them. And if i dont bother with the tube i just use my peavey bandit with a zoom in front

I do however own a maxon 0d9 pro plus, boss ds1 with the seeing eye mod and a noise gate ns1. Both are fantastic pedals but for me its splitting hairs when it comes to tone and the jsx.

Anyway i took them down to a mates place on the weekend to try in front of his 5150 head. And for the ****ing life of me i could not get the chain to shut the **** up! it created so much unwanted noise it ruined the entire testing for us. I as using a daisy chain for them all In addition to that he was rather close to his amp.

So whats going on? IS there a ground issue? I have heard people/engineers having to ground gear to make it hush down. I know these pedals are naturally noisy but this was too much plus the gate couldn't calm it enough.

They make the jsx noisy to but its not as bad as the 5150 was.

Re: Tube screamer noise!

the 5150 is a noisy amp. definitely noisier than the JSX.

was it static, RF hum or feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
      the 5150 is a noisy amp. definitely noisier than the JSX.

was it static, RF hum or feedback?
      It sounded like static or rf hum. But i am no expert on that stuff. The noise gate cleaned his amp up on its own but soon as a pedal always in front of it it didn't do enough. Like i said tho they are noisy on the jsx but its not as bad.

Comment

I also just noticed the maxon has a voltage switch in the battery box. 8 volts to 19 volts. I think i need to play with this pedal more it cost me a bounty back when i got it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is the amp in this case. Some people have to use TWO noise gates with the 5150: One in the loop and one in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
            I'm pretty sure it is the amp in this case. Some people have to use TWO noise gates with the 5150: One in the loop and one in the front.
            I think the maxon has a fault. The boost switch when on makes the entire pedal go weak and almost half if not more volume. hmmmmm i will try switching up the voltage but i fear its got a issue with the ''pro+'' part of the pedal haha. Now its just a od9 sigh sigh.

Comment

Are you using too much gain on both the amp and the pedal? I had noise issues cos I was using way too much! The drive should be on zero and level to your taste. Back off the gain on the amp as well (less than halfway) and you get a clearer tone. Just another angle on what might be causing the noise.

Though it could be a fault with the pedal itself, like you say.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                Are you using too much gain on both the amp and the pedal? I had noise issues cos I was using way too much! The drive should be on zero and level to your taste. Back off the gain on the amp as well (less than halfway) and you get a clearer tone. Just another angle on what might be causing the noise.

Though it could be a fault with the pedal itself, like you say.
                Yeah i know 10 on every knob would do it hehe.

I fixed the boost switch, I took the battery cover off and moved the batter wires and also switched it between 18 volts and it came good. Its still not needed tho haha so back in the box it goes.

Comment

Working...
                X