Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Script vs Block - check out Mick Mars cover guitar rag

There was an article about "40 years of MXR"

A guy from MXR said there is really no difference between the two Phase 90's. Comments?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: MXR Script vs Block - check out Mick Mars cover guitar rag

The only similarity is that they're both orange.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

I guess one of the guys who mhelped design it during the switchover from Script to Block could be wrong...

Comment

It could be put out there by MXR to bump up the new market vs the used market, they don't get royalties on their pedals. There is a difference in the Phase 90's it is subtle but it is there. I know the newer Distortion+ sound nothing like the older non-led versions that change is more drastic.

Comment

Maybe he was referring to the oldest block-logo pedals. Those Phase 90s were pretty much just script models with new graphics. Later, they added an LED. There are no hard lines in Phase 90 (or any other pedal) development. Transitions occur slowly over time.

In the end, there are some significant differences between an original script Phase 90 and a modern M101, but they didn't occur all at once.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
            Maybe he was referring to the oldest block-logo pedals. Those Phase 90s were pretty much just script models with new graphics. Later, they added an LED. There are no hard lines in Phase 90 (or any other pedal) development. Transitions occur slowly over time.

In the end, there are some significant differences between an original script Phase 90 and a modern M101, but they didn't occur all at once.
            Correct. The the very very early block logos have the same circuit as the script logo. After that is when there were changes to the circuit and such as Rich mentioned.

Comment

He was definitely talking about vintage script/block. I can hear the diff between the newr ones and the old ones.

Still, the script v block thing is pretty strong in the vintage crowd.

Comment

I picked up that issue yesterday. Read the articles with Nikki and Mick, just haven't read that one yet.

As the circuit started to changed post-very early block logo, or 1st Gen Block, that's where you start to have the differences. I used to have pics that showed the differences between each circuit as it changed.

Comment

The later block logo Phase 90's added the feedback circuit, which gives that extra "swish" to the sound, which is very noticeable when you use a distorted amp or pedals. The "Script" circuit has no feedback, and that's why it sounds better IMO with distortion. The early block logos had pretty much the Script circuit (with subtle changes), but later block logos added the feedback, which is what Dunlop decided to clone when they first started making the MXR pedals again. So there is a pretty noticeable difference in the sound of a "late" block logo (or early Dunlop MXR) Phase 90 from the Script and early block logo pedals. So, I think that article is misleading. There were other small changes to the circuits along the line, but the feedback circuit addition is the biggest change they made. The early EVH Phase 90 sound is a script circuit. The circuit with the feedback sounds all right with clean sounds and keyboard guys like them, but with distortion the extreme swish can become annoying IMO.

Al

Comment

Since we're talking about vintage, I politely retract my previous statement. I have no experience with the vintage block logo and thought we were talking about the modern variety.
                     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

So how does the new EVH Phase 90 fit into this? Is the Script mode accurate?

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        So how does the new EVH Phase 90 fit into this? Is the Script mode accurate?

Bill
                        My understanding is that the EVH Phase 90 just has a button that removes R28 (the mod that many do) from the stock Dunlop block logo Phase 90 circuit. It doesn't go all the way to the original Phase 90 circuit, which requires other component changes. For that, the newer Dunlop MXR Custom Shop handwired Phase 90 has the complete script circuit (again, I prefer the Whirlwind Orange Box, which also has the original script circuit, but adds the modern conveniences of LED and true bypass, which the Dunlop handwired script Phase 90 doesn't have).

Al

Comment

I'll have to check out the Whirlwind. Thanks!

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I played a Whirlwind once - it was pretty awesome.

The EVH question is interesting as there was a phaser mod thread a bit ago.

And….we ALL love the EVH script mode. Go check out Astro's modded phase thread.

Comment

the modern block model sounds like ****. it distorts the tone at the top of the cycle. I don't like this at all, a good phaser should enhance your tone not destroy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X