MXR Classic Overdrive good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Classic Overdrive good?

I'm looking for a GREEN kind of overdrive pedal for those SRV type clean/overdriven sounds. Will this fit the bill? I can get one locally for $35. On ebay they're worth more, I know GC has sold them for less... but there's no GC here so that's not an argument I can use for getting the price down. The seller says it's in very good condition.

Re: MXR Classic Overdrive good?

I like it a lot! Has an internal switch to go from classic to zakk wylde. I like the zakk side myself.

Comment

That's a pretty normal price for them. Around $35-$40. They are just a clone of the GT-OD I believe with a switch that can make it a Zakk Wylde OD. I had 2 of them at different times... they are the most tubescreamer you will get for your money.
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
        That's a pretty normal price for them. Around $35-$40. They are just a clone of the GT-OD I believe with a switch that can make it a Zakk Wylde OD. I had 2 of them at different times... they are the most tubescreamer you will get for your money.
        I'm going for it. Clips later.

Comment

Its damn good period, let alone for the money.

Comment

It's a fantastic od!

Comment

They're not the greatest in the world, but they're definitely worth the $35.

Comment

yes they are very good.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Best bang for the buck OD on the market IMO.

Comment

That pedal works good at taking a gainy amp to smooth lead tones better than many others.

Also good into a clean amp with Fenders.

It's a good all purpose OD that's tighter on the bottom than a TS and less honky in the upper mids.

Think of it like this. A Tubescreamer TS-9 adds gain, but sounds skinnier than your un-effected tone. The MXR Classic OD is equal in size. A Way Huge Green Rhino bulks up your tone bigger than unison.
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-09-2014, 09:07 PM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think it's a great pedal. It sounds awesome with my Fender amps especially. So good that I own two of them - and for that price, why not?
                      Originally posted by DreX
                      Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                      The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                      There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                      Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                      I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

I'm digging it but haven't received my new pickups so I can't give it the blues workout it deserves.

Is this pedal really that good? I wasn't expecting so much praise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                          I'm digging it but haven't received my new pickups so I can't give it the blues workout it deserves.

Is this pedal really that good? I wasn't expecting so much praise.
                          I was surprised by how well it works in my setup. For whatever reason, they got this one right.

But don't take my word for it - this pedal has gotten pretty good reviews from a lot of people here whenever it comes up for discussion.
                          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            That pedal works good at taking a gainy amp to smooth lead tones better than many others.

Also good into a clean amp with Fenders.

It's a good all purpose OD that's tighter on the bottom than a TS and less honky in the upper mids.

Think of it like this. A Tubescreamer TS-9 adds gain, but sounds skinnier than your un-effected tone. The MXR Classic OD is equal in size. A Way Huge Green Rhino bulks up your tone bigger than unison.
                            That's a great description Joe.

I'm a fan of the TS-9 to get the slice for leads, but that's me.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              That's a great description Joe.

I'm a fan of the TS-9 to get the slice for leads, but that's me.
                              There's a ts-9 up for sale. I'm going to pick it up and compare. I'm still curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X