Using Compressors with Acoustic Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Compressors with Acoustic Guitar

Trying to even out the volume of notes, I was advised a compressor, anyone got experience in this area? Tips? I don't really want to spend $100, $150 the limit.
    Cheers

Re: Using Compressors with Acoustic Guitar

Does your acoustic have an instrument output, like an Ovation? Are you playing through an amp or PA? Recording?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The only compressor I ever liked on my acoustic was one I never expected.... the Line 6 tonecore Constrictor pedal. Should easily be in your price range. I tried some very expensive compressors.... a Joe Meek Floor Q and Pigtronix Philosophers tone as an example of two in the list, and none of them did what I really needed, like you, even out the tone, until out of curiosity, I picked up a Constrictor for dirt cheap, and tried it. Its the MELLOW switch setting that does it for me on Acoustic. Level at noon and sustain at about 10 O'clock, Gate at 9.

Now the Philosophers tone is great on Electric solid bodies and the Joe Meek worked perfect for my Bass guitar. So they all have their place.

Just my experience, you mileage may vary.

Brad

Comment

I use the blue Boss pedal...I think it's a CS-3, with my Taylor (Fishman), Martin (Fishman) and Takamine (CTB-4) acoustics and it works fine. I set it so that you hear the compressor slightly "pump" and then back it off until it sounds natural. I set the attack straight up, then the level control for unity gain.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

More then price, you want one where you can set the threshold, ratio, attack and release to match your playing. For compression to do any good and still sound natural, it has to match the envelope of your playing.

When working with cheap gear, one trick that works reasonably well for transparency is to use two compressors in series at half the settings. The reason is if you push one compressor hard, it really exposes the quality, or lack of, in the compressor. But running two in series at much more subtle settings you can still really level the signal yet not color it with the gear. I happened upon this using a $99 Alesis rack compressor and chaining one side into the other.

Comment

Working...
          X