Clear All

• NPD -- MXR Micro Flanger

Went to Ludlow Guitars today and tried out a few flanger pedals:

Strymon Orbit
    Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress
    BOSS BF-3
    Empress Nebulus
    MXR Micro Flanger

The MXR had the least impact on the guitar tone and was also the least extreme. The Strymon was entirely too fiddly and I feel it misses the point. The Boss is either too bright or too muddy. The EHX totally messes up the midrange.

In the end it was between the Empress and the MXR. If I did to already have the effects the Nebulus has, it would be a no-brainier, it is a fantastic pedal. But $300 is way too much to spend for a single effect I will only occasionally use. Plus, it doesn't capture the classic flange tone I hear in my head.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: NPD -- MXR Micro Flanger

Nice. I got rid of the electric mistress for the same reason you describe. Glad you found something that worked for you.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Cool beans!

It's funny, I had an Orbit for a while a year or so ago and I didn't bond with it. But I now have a Strymon Mobius and I enjoy it MUCH more than the Orbit. Go figure.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The Strymon was really well built but it seems to have features just for the sake of having them. The polarity switch was only useful to me in the + position. And I would fear for all those mini switches with regular gigging. Sonically it was not the most versatile, either. The Boss had more options.

I actually went into the store to get finger picks lol.

Comment

Comment

I love it. Very subtle, and works good for rythms but its awesome for leads. Fattens things right up.

Comment

Great unit!

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                Great unit!

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Oh, it will have a prominent place in the new song I'm working on.

Comment

I may have to check one of these out. Every FlangerI owned BITD (admittedly, few), and all the newer ones I have tried were way too overbearing.

Maybe because alot of original flange tones were done BITD by clever engineers and studio tricks vs. Pedals?
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I prefer this to chorusing, Jeff. And the MXR shot down pedals costing 3x as much, for my application ... which is probably not too far afield from the type of tone you usually go for.

Comment

I actually prefer (good, analog) chorusing over Flanging, but I would like to have both in the stable for the occasions I want it (I am a phase guy, at heart). I think my local Guitarget across the valley has one of these MXRs to go play around with.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I like having all 3 modulation effects

I have only 2 types of pedals on my hit list now -- wah and talk box.

Comment

Wah is on my list too. I have not used one in about 15 years. I sold my last one to someone here 10 years ago

Comment

I have never owned a wah!

Comment

You both should check out the MXR/Car wah. Its been my favorite for years now. Two modes and a boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X