PHILOSOPHER'S TONE appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHILOSOPHER'S TONE appreciation thread

Background: I have been working on a new song in Logic Pro X, trying to learn the new DAW, and also seeing if there is a way I can track guitars using only LPX's amp sims, then remove the sims, take those tracks and reamp the DI guitar.

Problem: LPX's amp sims are pretty weak sounding. Very artificial and pretty uninspiring overall.

I thought that the entire process could use some warmth and level adjustment so I grabbed my Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone and put that between my guitar/bass and interface (using Divine Noise cables). I used the supplied 15v power supply.

I have not used the PT in some time as I have been using rack mount compressors for recording the past year. BIG MISTAKE! The PT immediately added a warmth, three-dimensionality, and smooth compression that the sims cannot touch.

Using the PT I was able to get consistent -12dBU levels from guitar and bass and then gain matched that with the sims. I noticed a big improvement in the quality of the tones I was getting using the sims with the PT as apposed to going straight into the interface.

Maybe it was just the act of adding some analog colouration to the signal path that makes the difference, in which case something like the EP Booster or z.vex SHO would also work in this regard, but there would be no leveling adjustment and I think the gain would quickly get out of hand with a boost in front of the interface.

Bottom line: regardless of the reason, I was able to kill 2 birds with one stone (consistent level for the DI and general tone press).

KILLER PEDAL!!!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: PHILOSOPHER'S TONE appreciation thread

Comment

You didn't specify a signal chain when using the rack comp, so maybe it's an impedence thing. AFAIK you're using passive pickups which expect to see a load approaching 1M ohm. If you were running guitar -> comp -> interface, your guitar was likely seeing an impedence closer to 10-50K ohms which would kill the tone. If instead you were running guitar -> DI -> comp -> interface, it may just be a case of the philosopher's tone being a better tool for the job as I like some comps for certain tasks, but not others.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I don't exactly get what you are driving at. The interface has an an impedance matched instrument level DI input. The guitar was loaded properly. The problem is the fact that signal chain sounds less good than when I have the PT in front of the interface. I am still using the instrument level input on the interface, but without the simulated compressor. I could probably achieve the same result by strapping one of my Waves comps across the track but I don't want to have a plugin responsible for maintaining a safe reamp level; I would rather get it right at the source.

Comment

Working...
        X