banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a Noise Supressor or a Noise Gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a Noise Supressor or a Noise Gate?

I was playing somewhere yesterday and I went to crank my amp up and I did it was ok, decent amount of feedback and then turn my Zack Wylde Pedal in and all hell broke loose it was a high pitch squeal I turned the pedal off since there was to much feedback....

So what should I get a Noise Suppressor or Noise Gate?

Thanks
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Basses: Ibanez SR605
    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Re: Should I get a Noise Supressor or a Noise Gate?

Get an ISP Decimator G String. If that's a stretch financially a Boss NS-2 will work fine but the Decimator is the best out there.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

+1 on the G String but they do make a cheaper version just named Decimator , get the new version too. The G String has a loop built into it covers both ends of your chain.
      Originally posted by Oinkus
      I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Lol G string XD jk uh ok I'll look into it. Thanks!
        Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
        Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
          Get an ISP Decimator G String.
          yes! My ISP Decimator G String is awesom, I agree

Comment

If you want to experiment 'on-the-cheap', get the Behringer NR 400. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-NR300-LIST

Comment

I am either going Decimator or NS-2

Comment

Mxr Noise Clamp, cant remember what it costs but the official demo vid for it was excellent. Simple & effective pedal.

The NS2 works fine as well, live especially. I dont think it would be easy to tell the difference between that & the decimator g string live. The decay knob comes in handy as well. Get the decimator if funds allow it although still take a look at the mxr too.
                Last edited by Hank-; 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I've tried several of them.

MXR Noise Clamp- Does not release notes fast enough so it cuts off your attack. Some high frequency signal loss. This is used in front of the amp.
                  Boss NS-2- Works well, is double ended, but noticable high frequency loss when used in front of amp. Recommend using in loop.
                  Behringer NR300- Almost as good as the NS-2. Works well in the loop only, noticable HF loss like the NS-2. Not as fast acting as the NS-2.

The only one I would put in front of the amp is a decimator. That will have the same affect as putting your volume on zero.

The NS-2 and NR300 work in the loop, but can only cope with so much noise.

Comment

The g string is really good but $$$.
                    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

How much gain are you using on the amp? If you're running an OD over the dirty channel then there's no surprise you're getting feedback, so either turn the gain on the amp down, or on the pedal. Typically for this set up you'd run the gain slightly less than you usually would and then boost it with the pedal, with low drive and set the level where you like it.

For an ultra clean and tight sound though get the ISP Decimator if you can, I have both the G string and the ISP II, as well as an NS-2. Run the OD pedal in the loop of the noisegate, that way it can track the signal of your guitar separately whilst still taking care of your noisy pedal. I use the Ibanez tubescreamer in the loop of the ISP g-string and it works really well. I have the Peavey 6505+ head which I run the pre-gain on 4. Then I just boost it with the TS-9.

Comment

I highly recommend the Decimator, G String or regular. It may seem a bit pricey but it's seriously worth every penny. It works exactly how you want it to, and does nothing you don't want it to. That's one purchase you will never regret.
                        Originally posted by Rockstar216
                        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by epi View Post
                          I was playing somewhere yesterday and I went to crank my amp up and I did it was ok, decent amount of feedback and then turn my Zack Wylde Pedal in and all hell broke loose it was a high pitch squeal I turned the pedal off since there was to much feedback....

So what should I get a Noise Suppressor or Noise Gate?

Thanks
                          tooooooooooo much gain.

Metal band? You probably don't need as much gain as you think you do. Turn the gain down. The soundman will love you because it will make his job easier.

Noise suppressors and noise gates are only really useful for cutting out lots of background noise/static/hissing due to gain, not necessarily squeals. If you set a noise gate to cut out squeals, basically the gate will need to be so immediate that it'll also destroy any hope you have of using your volume knob and picking dynamics while playing. Of course, if that floats your boat, go for it.......

Comment

My amp has no fx loop lol

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                              tooooooooooo much gain.

Metal band? You probably don't need as much gain as you think you do. Turn the gain down. The soundman will love you because it will make his job easier.
                              +1 to this. Most metal players, especially in their teens use guitar tones with far too much gain and almost no mids. The result of this is a mushy, microphonic feedback prone undefined guitar tone. And it's about as far away from heavy as you can get, as all of the other instruments most likely will be punchier and more defined than your sound.

Semi-non-pointless self-wankage: my background is from a progressive death metal band. Back then, my rig was a PRS loaded with a Duncan JB/DiMarzio PAF Pro, into a HAO Rust Booster (for solos only), and then into a Marshall DSL100 head. My gain knob would seldom go past the 4 mark on the less gainy, non-mid boosted mode of the overdrive channel. Most times it would be more like 3.5, but it really depended on how loud the master volume would be. My mids would be around 7 on the EQ, and the other knobs would be somewhere between 5 and 6. The heavyness of our sound didn't come from massive amounts of gain, it came from super tight, aggressive playing and really clear sounding, loud guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X