banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close are the Bogner pedals are replicating the Bogner sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close are the Bogner pedals are replicating the Bogner sound?

I have a couple of riffs on my upcoming album that could benefit from a modern hi-gain tone. I have my Dual Rec and that will certainly do it, but the sound in my head is closer to a Bogner. My question is: how close will running a Bogner into the power amp of my Dual Rec get me to that sound?

Thanks.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: How close are the Bogner pedals are replicating the Bogner sound?

I thought that the Bogner pedals were lacking as far as high gain sounds go. They were more mid-gain to me.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I've never heard a Bogner in person, but have tried an Extasy Red in front of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and it sounded great. I honestly couldn't find a crappy tone.

Also, I recently bought a used Uberschall pedal, and in front of my amps, it leaves something to be desired, but I haven't thought of trying it directly into any of the poweramps of any of my amps. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance and report back.
      Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
        I thought that the Bogner pedals were lacking as far as high gain sounds go. They were more mid-gain to me.
        This is true, my Uberschall doesn't have nearly as much gain on tap as any of my tube heads.

Comment

Maybe try the AMT B1/B2 pedal. I liked the E1 and P1 pedals better but the B1 did have some good sounds and plenty of gain. It seemed to have a ... deeper .. tone to it than the others.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

My Blue sounds great.. Is it the same as the amps? Nah. Just like a plexidrive or whatever is not as good as a real deal 68 1959.

You are welcome to use my blue pedal if ya want. Keep it as long as you need.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the offer! I will let you know when I get round to tracking the guitar parts; will only need the pedal for 2 weeks or so when that happens (probably late Summer).

Comment

Just LMK.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Owned the XTC Red Pedal last year. Also spent time with the XTC Blue pedal. Owned the real XTC Classic amp the year before, and had possession of an XTC 101B for a while after that. The XTC Red and Blue pedals NAIL the XTC tone. I was using my Red into my Straub 2x6L6 handwired P2P blackface style head and it flat-out sounded just like I still had my real XTC. It was pretty awesome.

Just so happens that these days I prefer the open, thumpy, ballsy tone of the REAL deal Marshall plexi era and JCM800 era amps over the more compressed, less thumpy Bogner sound. But If I was to start hankering for the Bogner thing again, I'd have no problem grabbing a pedal or two versus buying the whole amp. Never did try the Uberschall pedal, but I can tell you that the real Uberschall Twin Jet that I had in my possession for a while was a BEAST. Just overkill for the small amount of metal that I was playing.
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Red_label: the blue is less compressed, right? That's the one I kinda want, even though I'm happy with my setup.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Red_Label!

This is for one section of one song, and maybe a couple of solos. I think the blue will work out just fine. Thanks!

Comment

I have the red and the blue going into my 68 custom twin there pretty awesome! The blues more tighter but the red has a extra gain stage. I use the blue most of the time because of its perfect rock crunch. The Mesa would be decent but the fender cleans were they rival best IMO. Set the boost low and keep it on for the added gain and thickness and adjust the trim pot on the gain side to taste. I had a mesa Mini and i liked the red over the modern channel so I ended up getting a blues deluxe for a year then moving to the twin.
                        tone slut
                        Marshall DSL 40C
                        Fender EVH Striped Series
                        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                        Mogami cables

Comment

I will probably be doubling it w the Mesa (will have to wait and see what actually sounds best), so one layer will be Bogner preamp/Mesa power amp and another layer will be 10% Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                            Red_label: the blue is less compressed, right? That's the one I kinda want, even though I'm happy with my setup.
                            Yup. More old school like an early Marshall.
                            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Tried my Uberschall pedal plugged into the return of my Triple Rec's effects loop with the return level set at noon, and wow, it sounded great! So I imagine your plan will work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X