I do like a quick fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do like a quick fix...

My mate: This is my Fulltone Soul-Bender, it makes virtually no sound at all

Me: *takes a quick look* What power supply are you plugging it into?

Him: A standard Boss power supply

Me: You're plugging it into the wrong type of power supply. Boss is negative centre, this takes a positive centre...

Him: Oh!
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Re: I do like a quick fix...

Result!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

funny...
      i blew up a (cheapo) power supply because i plugged it into a fuzzface as part of the chain.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Someone educate us on why some fuzz's have reverse polarity plugs. I don't get it, and it's irritating. I'm too lazy to research it, so I just bought the Voodoo cables that are made for this. In particular, the Fulltone Octafuzz.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

NPN v's PNP
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
            NPN v's PNP
            Yup....
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I got.a multi efx for free once cause it was broken

Dude gave me the power supply
              24vdc center negative

Pedal said 24 vac

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Not really guitar related, but I got a free LCD monitor that way back in 2006. I was told that it wouldn't power on, but it turned out that the AC plug was oversized and wouldn't fit in the socket on the back of the monitor. I swapped it with another one I had, and it's been working fine ever since.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Someone educate us on why some fuzz's have reverse polarity plugs. I don't get it, and it's irritating. I'm too lazy to research it, so I just bought the Voodoo cables that are made for this. In particular, the Fulltone Octafuzz.
                    Crusty and chris have it right (of course)... but to give you more details: the transistors used in these fuzzes are PNP instead of the common NPN used in most effects (you can google the technical differences all day long if you want the low-down). Usually, most effects using NPN are using silicon transistors (worthwile NPN germaniums are rare and mostly gone off the surface of the planet as far as guitar-effects-useable ones go). Due to the scarcity of NPN germs, pedal builders use PNP germaniums (good specimens of which are getting also harder to find). Using PNP transistors means you have, in most cases, to reverse the polarity of the power source, hence the fact that you need a center-positive power source...

Comment

Could you not just use a negative tip power supply and flip the polarity inside the pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                        Crusty and chris have it right (of course)... but to give you more details: the transistors used in these fuzzes are PNP instead of the common NPN used in most effects (you can google the technical differences all day long if you want the low-down). Usually, most effects using NPN are using silicon transistors (worthwile NPN germaniums are rare and mostly gone off the surface of the planet as far as guitar-effects-useable ones go). Due to the scarcity of NPN germs, pedal builders use PNP germaniums (good specimens of which are getting also harder to find). Using PNP transistors means you have, in most cases, to reverse the polarity of the power source, hence the fact that you need a center-positive power source...
                        Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                        Could you not just use a negative tip power supply and flip the polarity inside the pedal?
                        That's what I was going to say.
                        Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                          There's a difference between -9v and switching your ground around. You need a voltage inverter to do so. It'eadily built on strip or perfboard though.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                            There's a difference between -9v and switching your ground around. You need a voltage inverter to do so. It'eadily built on strip or perfboard though.
                            Empirical evidence shows this is the case, but how would the pedal be able to tell the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              Empirical evidence shows this is the case, but how would the pedal be able to tell the difference?
                              That is a question for which I don't have an answer... I'm sure it's somewhere on the web though.

Comment

Working...
                              X