No announcement yet.

Need a Reverb pedal. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a Reverb pedal. Any suggestions?

Line 6 Verbzilla will cover a lot of ground.
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Indeed a verbzilla would do what you want. Nice spring and plates. I love fender spring and I use the verbzilla for reverb on my non reverb blackface Bandmaster and it's killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Farkus; 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM.
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Ok - here is the rundown - not knowing what you really dig in reverb.

My personal fave: EHX Holy Grail. Warm, Gritty, Organic, and dirt simple; Hall, Spring or that dumb@$$ Flerb with just one knob. Who cares. You are gonna set it on Spring and set the knob to about 8/9 oclock and never touch it again anyway. Holy Grail plus adds a little more control if that's what you dig. Ultimate choice for Don't Fear The Reaper.

Option two: Verbzilla. The swiss army knife or reverb. For those of you need tweakability on a whole bunch of reverbs depending on your mood, the phase of the moon, and what color pants you are wearing. Great sounds, great flexibility.

Recent player on the scene: TC Hall Of Fame. Honestly, nothing for me that the Zilla doesn't have, honestly. However - there is I believe the tone print option for downloading just that exact verb on some record somewhere.

The Digitech Hardwire is a great combo of flexibility, cost, and quality.

The Digiverb is a budget winner in digital.

I'm jonesing/shopping hard for an Oldschool Boss RV-3. Think Digiverb except with delays and delay + reverb! RV-5 is great also, but Digiverb is cheaper, and RV-3 is more flexible.

There are a boatload mor...but one of those is what you want.

oh yeah - almost forgot; Mooer Shimverb is small footprint is what you need.

Or....just for kicks, go all out: A Peavey Valverb AC Tube driven Reverb/Tremolo rack unit. The holy of holies IMO.

(you reading this Scott???? I swear you will build an amp arounf the thing!)
        Last edited by Aceman; 06-13-2014, 08:49 PM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What's your budget? I'd definitely go for the Neunaber WET reverb. I use it for long tails though. If you want a short reverb, others might be a better choice.
          My Soundclick

Comment

You may also want to consider finding a used Yamaha MagicStomp pedal. Just set it to one of the 'verb settings, (plate, spring, etc.), and leave it there. Yamaha is known for the quality of their reverb algorithms, and they seem to be loaded on the MS. I love mine. Especially the "plate" reverb setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
              What's your budget? I'd definitely go for the Neunaber WET reverb. I use it for long tails though. If you want a short reverb, others might be a better choice.
              Honestly, my budget is anywhere between 100 and 250. I also don't want a huge pedal either. Something about average size or smaller so that it doesn't take up too much space on my pedal board.
              Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Ok - here is the rundown - not knowing what you really dig in reverb.

My personal fave: EHX Holy Grail. Warm, Gritty, Organic, and dirt simple; Hall, Spring or that dumb@$$ Flerb with just one knob. Who cares. You are gonna set it on Spring and set the knob to about 8/9 oclock and never touch it again anyway. Holy Grail plus adds a little more control if that's what you dig. Ultimate choice for Don't Fear The Reaper.

Option two: Verbzilla. The swiss army knife or reverb. For those of you need tweakability on a whole bunch of reverbs depending on your mood, the phase of the moon, and what color pants you are wearing. Great sounds, great flexibility.

Recent player on the scene: TC Hall Of Fame. Honestly, nothing for me that the Zilla doesn't have, honestly. However - there is I believe the tone print option for downloading just that exact verb on some record somewhere.

The Digitech Hardwire is a great combo of flexibility, cost, and quality.

The Digiverb is a budget winner in digital.

I'm jonesing/shopping hard for an Oldschool Boss RV-3. Think Digiverb except with delays and delay + reverb! RV-5 is great also, but Digiverb is cheaper, and RV-3 is more flexible.

There are a boatload mor...but one of those is what you want.

oh yeah - almost forgot; Mooer Shimverb is small footprint is what you need.

Or....just for kicks, go all out: A Peavey Valverb AC Tube driven Reverb/Tremolo rack unit. The holy of holies IMO.

(you reading this Scott???? I swear you will build an amp arounf the thing!)
              This is awesome, thanks! So far, the ones I'm liking the most are the EHX Holy Grail and the TC Hall Of Fame. I like having the tweakability because I like a variety of sounds. I don't like to have limitations when it comes to tone. I want to be able to achieve any type of sound that I'm looking for at any given moment if I need it.

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              Take a look at the Strymon Flint. It's the pedal i'd buy if I absolutely needed a reverb pedal.
              It is quite a large pedal, if I do say so myself.

Comment

I didn't realize size was a requirement. Rv-5 is good, hall of fame is too hifi for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                  I didn't realize size was a requirement. Rv-5 is good, hall of fame is too hifi for my taste.

My apologies, I meant to state that in the thread, but at least it's out there now!

And who knows? If I happen to run into a Strymon Flint, and it truly knocks my socks off, I might just get me one Never say never!

Comment

A Strymon BlueSky could also be nice for versatility and 250 bucks (used). Quality verbs, but I find it a tad bit sterile and cold for my taste. Lotsa people dig it though.
                    My Soundclick

Comment

If you don't want anything to fancy, meaning too many options the Line 6 Verbzilla does the trick nicely. I use this in an amp that has no onboard Reverb and the Reverb that I get out of it is lush but it has a slight difference to spring. Its hard to put your finger on what it is but when I compare it to my am that does have Reverb( a Fender) I can notice a mild difference in the decay. Other then that it works fine.

Last edited by Bludave; 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                        If you don't want anything to fancy, meaning too many options the Line 6 Verbzilla does the trick nicely. I use this in an amp that has no onboard Reverb and the Reverb that I get out of it is lush but it has a slight difference to spring. Its hard to put your finger on what it is but when I compare it to my am that does have Reverb( a Fender) I can notice a mild difference in the decay. Other then that it works fine.

I REALLY enjoy that Octo feature. Holy cow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
                          I REALLY enjoy that Octo feature. Holy cow.
                          Yeah, Octo is really fun!! Almost like violins playing over your chords.
                          -Greg

Guitars:
                          2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                          2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                          2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                          Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post
                            Yeah, Octo is really fun!! Almost like violins playing over your chords.
                            It has a very sweet sound. I need to fiure out where I'm going to try one out. It doesn't look like any of the local music shops carry them anymore.

That being said, I think I'm going to make a pilgrimage to the local GC to try out the TC Hall Of Fame and even the EHX Holy Grail if they have it.

Comment

UPDATE!

I went to the local GC to try out a couple of reverbs, and even some other types of pedals, but that'll be a topic for a different day.

They had the Hall Of Fame and the Holy Grail, but the Holy Grail was the nano version, but I figured I'd try it out anyway.

I tried out the Holy Grail first, and I forgot to run it into the effects loop, so my first impressions were not quite good. Then I ran it through the effects loop and it was WAAY better! I know, I should get shot for not running it into the effects loop in the first place, but I just wanted to see how it would sound, and it's meant to go through the effects loop.

That being said, I really enjoyed the pedal. One knob, 3 modes, and you're done. Nothing more, nothing less. I liked that because then I could get straight down to playing right away. The Spring Reverb was okay, but the Hall Reverb is the best sounding out of the 3. I didn't try out the "Flerb" option because I already have a Flanger, so I didn't really need to hear what the Flanger and Reverb together would sound like. Overall, I liked it, but found it to be a little too toppy for my taste.

Then I went on to try the Hall Of Fame, and my golly, that pedal was absolutely to die for! So many options, so much tweakability, and WAAAAY less brittle sounding than the Holy Grail. I guess that's because it has a tone knob for me to adjust how bright or how dark I want it, and so to me, that was a plus. On the other hand, it had SO many different types of reverbs to choose from, and the decay time, to really get some out of this world type of sounds.

I haven't tried the Verbzilla, but I think the final verdict says that I'll be going with the Hall Of Fame. By far, THE best sounding reverb I've heard so far.

Comment

It is really a Verb buyers market out there now. Wasn't that way just ten years ago.

A couple rooms or halls, and a plate - and I'm good.

You might really dig the Grail Plus…

But again; there are as many verb flavors as dirt boxes. And a tone of parameters to tweak if you want. I don't!
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X