If you haven't owned this pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you haven't owned this pedal

And you if you do any soloing at all, make sure to get one. Got this yesterday and rehearsed with it last night. Any other pedal you can take at gunpoint but you'll have to pry my 808 from my cold dead hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by astrozombie; 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling.

Re: If you haven't owned this pedal

I used to love my TS808, but I think it's fallen out of favor. Not that it's bad by any stretch, but I'm not in love with the clean boost, and as a solo boost I'd like something creamier. But it's still one heck of an OD.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Its the standard for a reason and I'm glad that you like it, man.

I'm really digging the DOD 250 reissue I picked up. That thing can be downright nasty when cranked into a filthy amp. It gets a pretty great stoner-rock sound. (not a doom/sludge sound )
       Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Had one of those 20 some odd years ago and it disappeared one night , poof! Great pedal , really nothing bad you can say about it. Congrats ! We like New Pedal Days ! Even when it is an old pedal.
        Originally posted by Oinkus
        I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Back in 2000
          A music store in PHX was going out of business
          And they had an 808 for $59

I was gonna grab it on the way out
          Someone got it just ahead of me

I kick myself for not grabbing it

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Never understood what all the fuss was about tube screamers. Not enough gain and sizzle on the top. Though I did recently pick up a TS-7 for $20 at a yard sale and found that I actually like it on occasion. I've used it straight in to my Picovalve with the pre-gain at about 5 or 6 and it gives a nice edge.

Comment

Had an 808 briefly, but didn't care for it and sold it. A Maxon OD-9 replaced it, and it's been my go-to tubescreamer for about a decade. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Homebrew Electronics Para Drive for the voicing options & built-in clean boost.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Not my cup o' tea but there sure are a ton of folks out there loving 'em.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Even if I have a Fulldrive 2?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Never understood what all the fuss was about tube screamers. Not enough gain and sizzle on the top. Though I did recently pick up a TS-7 for $20 at a yard sale and found that I actually like it on occasion. I've used it straight in to my Picovalve with the pre-gain at about 5 or 6 and it gives a nice edge.

Not enough gain or sizzle is exactly what they are about. Its not a distortion box its a overdrive. Using it to slam the front of an already dirty tube amp is where they shine. Crank the output and just a touch of drive.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Simmilar idea, but i prefer the Tube Blower.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Had an 808 briefly, but didn't care for it and sold it. A Maxon OD-9 replaced it, and it's been my go-to tubescreamer for about a decade. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Homebrew Electronics Para Drive for the voicing options & built-in clean boost.
                        I have a Paradrive snd I love it. It's far too overlooked in my opinion. I find it can go from a ts-esque boost to a standalone british tone very well.
                        There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                          Simmilar idea, but i prefer the Tube Blower.

I've had his Mercer box before and I was underwhelmed to be honest. I am curious about the tube blower but I already have a sd-1 that does the tubescreamer thing as well as anything I've ever tried. It also has a great buffer which is nice.

I think the tubescreamer gets kind of a bad rap because of how ubiquitous it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                            Not enough gain or sizzle is exactly what they are about. Its not a distortion box its a overdrive. Using it to slam the front of an already dirty tube amp is where they shine. Crank the output and just a touch of drive.
                            Yeah, I know, which is why I think that it sounds good in front of my Picovalve. When I use distortion, I like to have it in front of a super clean amp like a JC-120 for that Iced Earth tone.

Comment

808s are nice pedals, but like all pedals they are not all things to all people.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X