A/B switch? Would this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/B switch? Would this work?

Im weeding out some gear and evaluating my amps. The Splawn sounds amazing dirty with a bridge pup, but the marshall jcm absolutely sings with the Jazz neck of my Charvel. (and other neck pups for leads) . Im gonna start playing with the splawn using some pedals to try to get the same type of tone with the neck pup for leads, but for now.
    Can these be switched with an A/B switch? Im guessing so. If so, what A/B is a good one? Are there any 3 channel switches?

The way I wanted to run my rig is one clean amp with my Rockman unit and then one amp for dirty. However, if I cant get the splawn to get me in the same ball park, I may have to go:
    A) Splawn high gain
    B)Jcm800 for neck leads
    C) PV ultra plus clean running thru the rockman

thanks in advance for any insight. Tune in tommorrow when you'll hear Blood ask. "ok, so how do I configure my pedal board with 3 amps?"
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: A/B switch? Would this work?

there are three way switches out there. are you planning on just running one amp at a time? never combining them?

Comment

I use a DOD a/b to swap amps but the A channel is louder then the B channel. This is what you want http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-switch?pfm=sp used one for 82 bucks, The George Lynch model is fancier but 100 bucks or so
      Originally posted by Oinkus
      I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Try the Radial ABY . here's the link .. http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotaby.php

a few of the specs : True-bypass ABY amp selector with tuner out
        On-board transformer to eliminate hum & buzz
        180° polarity reverse to phase-match amps
        100% passive, does not require a battery or power
        EVEN SPLIT FOR EACH AMP....

Comment

I love the ultras cleans! I can see why you want that for a clean channel

Comment

I have a loopmaster A/B/Y. I use two amps a lot (a Bogner Shiva & Komet 60). I like the idea of running two amps, although if you play out it gets old lugging all the gear around. The way I do it is I use my Bogner for my gai/solos. I use the Komet for cleans and occasionally for solos. I have very similar effects in each amp. The Shiva has a loop so I have a Chorus and delay running into the loop and a TS9 going straight in. The signal from this amp foes to one side of the A/B/Y. The Komet does not have a loop or Reverb so I have a Reverb pedal, Chorus, Delay, overdrive going straight in. From this to the other side of the A/B/Y. From the A/B/Y I go to a wah(so I can use it in either amp) and tuner to guitar. So now I can setup the amp before I switch to it and the same for the others.

There are many very good A/B/Ypedals out there. Lehle is the best IMHO. In some cases you may need an A/B/Y that has ground loop transformers to eliminate any noise. Some amps work on a different frequency then others and when connected they can cause some buzz or in worse cases bleed from one sdie to the other.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've had no problems with the Morley ABC.

I've read that lots of people have problems with the Lynch model not being grounded properly.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                there are three way switches out there. are you planning on just running one amp at a time? never combining them?
                most likely. But if possible, Id like the option to combine.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by cwebb View Post
                  I love the ultras cleans! I can see why you want that for a clean channel
                  Yeah, its really pristine for a high gain amp! The amp is pretty great overall

Jol Dantzig

Comment

By far the best A/B/Y box I've ever tried. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years now with no probs at all.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      By far the best A/B/Y box I've ever tried. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years now with no probs at all.
                      Silly me. I forgot to include the reference link...

Get the guaranteed best price on Switch Effects Pedals like the Radial Engineering Tonebone Twin-City Active ABY Switcher at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Silly me. I forgot to include the reference link...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...b-y-footswitch
                        Haha! Yeah, thanks for adding this! I read your first post and was left hanging going, "ok, what one???"

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm surfing hard for an ART Coolswitch for my acoustic stuff
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            Haha! Yeah, thanks for adding this! I read your first post and was left hanging going, "ok, what one???"
                            I'm getting a little forgetful in my old age. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes tragic.

Comment

Are you going to use them through the same cab and want to switch heads or are you using one cab per head and just changing which one your guitar signal goes to?

If you are looking at using all 3 through the same cab, then an A/B switch won't do it. You need something that keeps a load on the amps while they are not "switched" to the cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                              X