Volume Pedal or OD/Boost Pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volume Pedal or OD/Boost Pedal?

Keeley Katana. If you want more mids, pull the knob out.

Comment

Before you buy anything, definitely play with the Solo boost feature. I know on my Lonestar 100/50, I just used the Solo boost, I never needed a clean boost pedal until I got rid of it. If that doesn't work, then as others have already said, you really can't go wrong with the MXR Micro amp.
      Go Packers!

Comment

My favorite boost for solos is a simple EQ in the loop. I actually use two, one for tone shaping, another for boost. I've tried other things for a boost, but the EQ seems to work the best.

Comment

MXR Micro Amp - allowing everyone to hear what a hack I am above the band for over twenty years….
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
            Before you buy anything, definitely play with the Solo boost feature. I know on my Lonestar 100/50, I just used the Solo boost, I never needed a clean boost pedal until I got rid of it. If that doesn't work, then as others have already said, you really can't go wrong with the MXR Micro amp.
            I'm gonna try it one more time at the next full band rehearsal to see where it goes. If not, then it'll be pedal hunting I go!

Comment

Another trick is you can use a volume pedal in the effects loop. Cut the volume back a little for rythm and stomp it off for leads. You can mAke or buy a simple volume box for this or also even use a volume pedal.
              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I basically just cranked the solo channel output and I got much better results this time. Turns out I don't need to buy an extra pedal after all. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys! I feel like I'm still going to get a boost pedal just in case if I get a different amp in the future, or play on a different amp without a solo boost. I would hardly ever use it, but it would just be for backup.

Comment

For crying out loud just get an ep boost

Then you can hear why/how they make everything awesome
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                    For crying out loud just get an ep boost

Then you can hear why/how they make everything awesome
                    But see, I was steered wrong earlier in this thread. Now you got me wondering! So far it's been a toss up between the EP Booster and the TC Mini Spark. I just love the idea of the mini sized pedals. They're fun, and they definitely seem to get the job done. One Knob, One switch, and go. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Here's the thing with an EP boost - it's not really a clean boost per se. It does something to your sound, hard to describe but easy to hear and feel.

Most people who use them use them as an always on tone enhancer and then go from rhythm to solo sounds with the volume knob on their guitar.

I've heard but cannot verify that some of the magic comes from the non-linear amplification of the circuit, whether or not this is true I don't know.

The boost adds a texture to your sound that to some people sound like you're 'taking a blanket' off of the amp, but without the corresponding boost in treble, which you can dial in if you like with the EP boost.

The Xotic isn't exactly the EP preamp - but then again there's only a handful of fairly expensive pedals that are. I don't know you'll hear a big enough difference to make it worth while. The Xotic EP Boost from everything I've heard sounds absolutely fantastic, and the one I played certainly was exemplary. As a boost or an always on pedal they're hard to go wrong with.
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Working...
                      X