• Show
Clear All

• Marshall JMP-1 Preamp in a pedal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403999308771.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5834109

I'd like this flavor dirt in a pedal form. Any suggestions?

Re: Marshall JMP-1 Preamp in a pedal?

There's a lot of different kinds of sounds in there - got any particular faves? Some are super scooped and heavy, some more midrangey low/mid gain kinda stuff. I like the "midlands" preset myself, with a few minor tweaks. A floor POD would get close to it I think. Doesn't one of the pods even have a jmp-1 patch?

Found it - number 34 on a pod x3: http://www.vettaville.nl/vvpodx3.html

Dang, I forgot how many amp models that thing has. I kinda want one.
    Last edited by DankStar; 06-28-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      There's a lot of different kinds of sounds in there - got any particular faves? Some are super scooped and heavy, some more midrangey low/mid gain kinda stuff. I like the "midlands" preset myself, with a few minor tweaks. A floor POD would get close to it I think. Doesn't one of the pods even have a jmp-1 patch?

Found it - number 34 on a pod x3: http://www.vettaville.nl/vvpodx3.html

Dang, I forgot how many amp models that thing has. I kinda want one.
      I'm looking for the OD2 channel aka modern gain. Not interested in classic gain styles.

Comment

I thought the XTS Atomic overdrive sounded more like a Marshall than anything I've played before, but the issue I had with it is that it sounded great at low volumes, but at high volumes it makes the sound smaller than I'd like.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm a bit confused myself, is there a difference between the JMP1 preamp vs the JMP amps?

And would the Dirty Little Secret or the Weehbo JMP Drive be what I'm looking for?

Comment

I haven't come across any pedals that do every shade of gain better than the Bogner Red.
            It's $300 new, but worth the money. Buy used if you want it closer to $200.

And yeah, I used a JMP-1 for a few years in the 90's. You can plug a Bogner blue or red into any amp and instantly have a great high gain tone. Low volume or high volume....you'll get what you're looking for.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

My POD had a Jmp-1 setting that was Def Leppard like.
              Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
              Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
              Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
              Epiphone LP Special w/JB
              Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
              Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
              1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
              Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                I'm a bit confused myself, is there a difference between the JMP1 preamp vs the JMP amps?

And would the Dirty Little Secret or the Weehbo JMP Drive be what I'm looking for?
                No different. Jmp-1 is a midi preamp with multiple sounds.
                Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  I haven't come across any pedals that do every shade of gain better than the Bogner Red.

And yeah, I used a JMP-1 for a few years in the 90's. You can plug a Bogner blue or red into any amp and instantly have a great high gain tone. Low volume or high volume....you'll get what you're looking for.

+1, those are hard to beat.
                  Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

You have to specify a JMP-1 sound….

There is no "Marshall" sound IMO - they have a bunch of good ones!!!! Kinda like original; PAF's - which one????
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There is a pretty big difference. The DLS or Weehbo JMP Drive are like the old 70's era metal panel JMP amps that are like hard edged and leaner sounding plexis (The DLS is more plexi-like).

The gain maxes out at what I would describe as medium on the DLS but the Weehbo can go to medium-high via an internal trim pot that can give a bit more gain than it comes stock from the factory.

Of course, there are three versions of the DLS... the available gain increases from v1 to v3. The current version has as much gain on tap as the Weehbo.

Weehbo does make the finest Marshall in a Box sounds on the planet IMO. They have a wide line with lots of models to evoke certain Marshall flavors.

Their JVM Drive sounds like it is right up your alley.

Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

My mistake, I didn't realize the hundreds of options the jmp1 had.

I'm definitely not looking for anything in the plexi range. I want something that is high gain. Ever heard the song Jellybelly by Smashing Pumpkins? Something that heavy, more of a modern gain type.

I'm going to check this video in a bit, when I'm on a proper computer

Comment

My mistake, I didn't realize the hundreds of options the jmp1 had.

I'm definitely not looking for anything in the plexi range. I want something that is high gain. Ever heard the song Jellybelly by Smashing Pumpkins? Something that heavy, more of a modern gain type.

I'm going to check this video in a bit, when I'm on a proper computer
                          For recording MCIS Billy primarily used a JMP-1 / Mesa Strategy 500 setup, but he also used an ADA MP-2 preamp for some of his overdubs. James used a JMP-1, Mesa Triaxis, and Digitech 2101 into Mesa 2:90 poweramps. Another thing to remember is that the Pumpkins records are HEAVILY multi-tracked and overdubbed. It's unlikely that you'll ever be able to duplicate their recorded sound from any era. Their live tones are a bit different, but should at least be reasonably possible to duplicate.

As far as actually doing so, I haven't heard the pedal in person but the Boger Ecstacy Red (as rec'd by GJ above) should be able to do the OD2 sound from the JMP-1. That's probably what the Pumpkins used for their heavy sound in the MCIS era as OD1 doesn't get much beyond Plexi territory IME.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            For recording MCIS Billy primarily used a JMP-1 / Mesa Strategy 500 setup, but he also used an ADA MP-2 preamp for some of his overdubs. James used a JMP-1, Mesa Triaxis, and Digitech 2101 into Mesa 2:90 poweramps. Another thing to remember is that the Pumpkins records are HEAVILY multi-tracked and overdubbed. It's unlikely that you'll ever be able to duplicate their recorded sound from any era. Their live tones are a bit different, but should at least be reasonably possible to duplicate.
                            Thanks for all the tips everyone.

You seem to know everything about the Pumpkins that I want to know. I should just PM you directly next time. Yes, your absolutely right that the MCIS tones or any studio tones are not attainable via any gear I purchase, partly due to the layering. BTW I saw James' triaxis for sale a while ago, and some other MCIS gear.

As you know, I have the bat strat ready to go, just filling in other pieces. I aim for the SP sound, but I'd like the pedals I acquire to have versatility so I can create my own tones as well.
                            Last edited by Kais; 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              As far as actually doing so, I haven't heard the pedal in person but the Boger Ecstacy Red (as rec'd by GJ above) should be able to do the OD2 sound from the JMP-1. That's probably what the Pumpkins used for their heavy sound in the MCIS era as OD1 doesn't get much beyond Plexi territory IME.
                              Many votes for the Bogner Red. I checked it out and it's extremely versatile. I think that could be my ticket for this and a whole lot more. But it's a bit pricy, $300. I'll look around for one. Is there any complaints against it?

How does it handle lighter overdrive tones? Or plexi tones?

I currently have a rat deucetone, and if I picked up the bogner red, would offload the rat.
                              Last edited by Kais; 07-02-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X