banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remove batteries with a powered pedalboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove batteries with a powered pedalboard?

I just got a Pedaltrain Jr and a Voodoo Lab ISO-5 power supply.

I had what I thought was a really dumb question until I Googled it and saw that there seems to be a lot of disagreement: Is it necessary (or advisable) to remove the batteries from the pedals when you're using a powered pedalboard?

While I understand that each DC jack cuts the power to each battery, some maintain that since you're not using the battery it could potentially leak.

Also, what about when you're not using the board? That is, if you leave all the 1/4 jacks and the DC jacks plugged in, but the pedalboard isn't connected to AC, will the the batteries drain since the 1/4 jacks are plugged in?

This is new territory for me--sorry for what some might think are silly questions.

dg
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: remove batteries with a powered pedalboard?

My biggest concern would be forgetting about the batteries in there and having them explode.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The battery is auto disconnected when there's a DC plug adapter in the jack, so it doesn't matter whether you have power running to the board or not, as long as you leave the jumpers plugged in to the individual pedals you're fine.

There's two things to consider, and decide which is more important to you.
      -With the batteries installed, you have a back up in there in case one of the DC adapter jacks gets dislodged from a pedal. So you won't lose your effect while playing, instead it would just revert to the battery for juice. I've had things work loose on me before because some pedals have their DC plug set back more inside the casing so you don't get as firm a connection.
      -The flip side is that a battery does have a shelf life even when it is not being used. What can happen is you forget all about the batteries inside the pedals (since you're using DC power 99% of the time) and they will expire. What eventually happens to most batteries after expiration is that they will begin to bulge and the casing leaks acid which corrodes the connections. I've seen this happen in a number of kids toys that we've been given second hand. In many cases the original batteries that shipped with it from the factory are still in there and are pretty much bursting.

So, if you're going to leave the batteries in there, just make sure to check them twice a year and make sure they're still in good shape.
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Is this 2014?

I thought so.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in and clearing this up. I'll leave them in for now and maybe take them out later.

dg
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

I always take them out. I don't care much for acid inside my pedals eating away at their innards.

If you leave them in, it is inevitable that they will eventually leak. Who will actually take all of their pedals off their boards twice a year (AT LEAST) and check batteries that they aren't even using?!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

PS: it's sooooooooo much better to be safe than sorry.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                PS: it's sooooooooo much better to be safe than sorry.
                Agreed...I think I'll take them out...

Thanks.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                X