Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axe FX 2 and Kemper

Hi Guys,

I'm Curious to know if anyone here is using an Axe Fx 2 or the Kemper Profiling amp live,
    From Clips and reviews both units sound great but usability live isn't something often discussed from what I can tell.
    I'd really like to know how you find either in respect to ease of use, tweaking on the fly, how they sound in a live band situation, and performing with it once you have everything programmed the way you want, Also are preset/sound changes seamless?

The Axe FX 2 has the dedicated MFC-101 controller which looks like a very versatile and functional piece of kit, requires One single cable to control and power it.

The Kemper relies on 3rd party midi controllers or modified EPROMs in a behringer FCB1010.
    From What I can tell you still need to power the FCB seperately and use 2 midi cables (Transmit and receive) for full functionality.

For on the fly changes the Kemper would on the face of it appear to be better there (More dedicated controls)

I'd be using it in a covers band doing most music from Top40 to folk to Abba to Pantera, Although I wouldn't intend on using 30 different tones for 30 different songs.

My main reason for considering these 2 units is consistent live sound, ease of setup, and most importantly - no tap dancing!!
    I have also been considering more pedals and a loop switching system like a gigrig (http://www.thegigrig.com/) but the real estate it takes up might be an issue on some of the smaller stages we play, and by the time I'd aquire and audtion all the pedal and routing options i'd have had an axe fx 2 and MFC bought and programmed and probably change left over.

I'd intend on using either the Kemper or Axe FX 2 direct to PA/Monitor without a traditional tubeamp and guitar cab.

Really appreciate any input!

Thanks
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Axe FX 2 and Kemper

kemper foot controller should come out! still they are working on it

kemper is what I really want, but I do realize that adjusting gain and EQ settings do not work well since that kinda messes up the sound since it is already a profile set in stone and those adjustments sound bad

Comment

Axe FX for over four years. Absolutely love it. The most versatile piece or music gear I've ever owned. Started with the Ultra, upgraded to the Ax II. Just keeps getting better. Approaching 190 amp models. Excellent effects. You can build amps that don't exist. You can run them hotter (virtually) than you ever could in a real amp. It sounds fantastic.

I've never used a Kemper so I can't comment.

Comment

I haven't heard a kemper or axefxII clip with good sounding fuzz pedal yet...

but ya for Top40 to folk to Abba to Pantera it would be nice with axefx to avoid the pedaldance with axefxII foot controller

Comment

I don't have either one, but I've come to a conclusion about them.

If you're a "set it and forget it" type of guy, get the Kemper.

Of you're the kind of guy that likes to constantly tweak settings (like me), get the Axe FX II.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Saw these guys a little while ago, both guitarists were using Axe FXs:

Seriously, you could load up 30 different tones for 30 different songs. That's what these guys were doing.

I owned a Kemper. I'd go straight for an Axe FX if I had the money for one.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
              I don't have either one, but I've come to a conclusion about them.

If you're a "set it and forget it" type of guy, get the Kemper.

Of you're the kind of guy that likes to constantly tweak settings (like me), get the Axe FX II.
              Actually for the Kemper, you either have to have a good setup to profile, or you need to rely on other people's profiles. If you've got a sound in your head, you may not find it with the Kemper.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Thanks for the input so far guys!
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Happy AxeFx user here. I've never been the kind of guy to tweak settings during a gig so I set my rack off to the side of the stage.

At rehearsals, I put it on an amp stand and use the front panel to adjust. For stuff that folks want to adjust in the course of a gig (e.g., delay mix), expression pedals are the most common approach.

Scenes are a powerful tool for live use. They're like presets within your presets where you can store FX state, X/Y state, overall level (e.g., solo boost), and scene modifiers (two control values to adjust parameters within a block like delay mix or amp gain). You can treat a preset more like an amp/cab/FX rig and then use scenes for different amp "channels" and FX states. I find it makes preset maintenance much simpler because most of my presets are variations on a theme as far as amp/cab/FX setup. This lets me do my thing with much freeway presets to maintain.

Finally, theres the MFC foot controller. To me, the biggest benefit to that particular device is it's integration with the AxeFx. When you load a preset (or scene) the MFC polls the AxeFx for preset info so the preset name and FX state is reflected on the MFC. FX that are on have green lights, red if they're off, and no light if that effect is not present in the preset. Other controllers I've used needed to be programmed with that info preset by preset which became a major PITA when editing or moving presets. Finally, the MFC has the ability to display tap tempo beats and tuner display for convenient onstage tuning.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

Thanks!

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice little setup!
                    I'm heavily leaning towards going the Axe FX 2 and MFC-101 route,
                    I'll just really need to decide now which kidney I should sell on

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                    Happy AxeFx user here. I've never been the kind of guy to tweak settings during a gig so I set my rack off to the side of the stage.

At rehearsals, I put it on an amp stand and use the front panel to adjust. For stuff that folks want to adjust in the course of a gig (e.g., delay mix), expression pedals are the most common approach.

Scenes are a powerful tool for live use. They're like presets within your presets where you can store FX state, X/Y state, overall level (e.g., solo boost), and scene modifiers (two control values to adjust parameters within a block like delay mix or amp gain). You can treat a preset more like an amp/cab/FX rig and then use scenes for different amp "channels" and FX states. I find it makes preset maintenance much simpler because most of my presets are variations on a theme as far as amp/cab/FX setup. This lets me do my thing with much freeway presets to maintain.

Finally, theres the MFC foot controller. To me, the biggest benefit to that particular device is it's integration with the AxeFx. When you load a preset (or scene) the MFC polls the AxeFx for preset info so the preset name and FX state is reflected on the MFC. FX that are on have green lights, red if they're off, and no light if that effect is not present in the preset. Other controllers I've used needed to be programmed with that info preset by preset which became a major PITA when editing or moving presets. Finally, the MFC has the ability to display tap tempo beats and tuner display for convenient onstage tuning.
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Working...
                    X