banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining AMT Electronics F1 with amp's real pream section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NecroPolo
    replied
    Re: Combining AMT Electronics F1 with amp's real pream section?

Thanks mates for the tips. It was a good read.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Ok, and I just found this video where someone else already did it with an EVH amp.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied
    Yep, I think I will bite the bullet regarding amp's weight, get myself that marshall and later one of those F1.[emoji3]
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-12-2014, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Ok, for those interested on actually using the F1 as an additional clean channel and keep both DSL40C on overdrive/distortion modes, I double checked with AMT e-mail support.

Me: So just to clarify/double check: When the F1 is off then the sound comes from the Marhsall pream and when the F1 is on the sound comes from the F1 preamp .

AMT: All will work as you want
    Sweet!

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Ok, for those interested on actually using the F1 as an additional clean channel and keep both DSL40C on overdrive/distortion modes, I double checked with AMT e-mail support.

Me: So just to clarify/double check: When the F1 is off then the sound comes from the Marhsall pream and when the F1 is on the sound comes from the F1 preamp .

AMT: All will work as you want

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    Nope, I'm more interested in the SS-30. I actually prefer solid state distortion.
    I prefer solid state distortion, too. I tried the SS-30 a few months ago and I felt both the clean and distortion channels were a little lacking. It's been a few months so I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a case of limited headroom - like the tones never opened up and breathed even after jacking the pedal's output level and the amp's output level. However, that may be attritubable to me not having tried it with the 18 Volt power supply option.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

Did you try the SS-20? Is it me or it sounds Marshally? I liked this because imho it seems to have a realistic British sound (it has a 12AX7) that goes from mild to crunch to kind of "ultra".
    Nope, I'm more interested in the SS-30. I actually prefer solid state distortion.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    The only reason I haven't snagged an SS-30 is because I'd only use the highest gain channel on it anyway, so an S1 or P1 would suffice.
    Did you try the SS-20? Is it me or it sounds Marshally? I liked this because imho it seems to have a realistic British sound (it has a 12AX7) that goes from mild to crunch to kind of "ultra".

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

If you can test drive an ISP Theta preamp, do it. It's solid state, but there's tons of good tones in it.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

No problem kingswebe, I understand what you mean and since you achieved goal with another pedal your feedback is very important. I just got a super short answer from AMT saying "you should be fine". In the process I also learned about an interesting preamp AMT's SS-11A, AMT's SS-20, ISP's Stealth... More options and I just need to balance portability/price/tone/reliability.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-10-2014, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Thanks, that is a good alternative that should work with any amp and preamp !! As long as nothing gets fried
    Well, I looked up the specs for the F1 and it's owner manual, and I think I have to recant on saying earlier that your original scheme would not work. The F1 has a special "Channel" In and Out (as you did say) in addition to a traditional FX Loop send and return. The manual and the AMT's website say that the Channel In and Out alow you to switch other preamps on or off. So I think you're original scheme is valid, and if I can be of at least some added value on this thread, none of the jacks involved are "speaker out" types, so there is no risk of frying anything. Sorry for the wrong info. Earlier.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
    Imenator, I don't believe that connection scheme you outlined in your first post will "skip" the amp's preamp signal when the F1 is on. I think the preamp signal will be present whether the F1 is on or off.

I devised and succesfully tested a similar connection scheme a couple months back that utilizes a BOSS Line Selector pedal and posted it at this forum thread.

The pedal doesn't have to be a BOSS line selector, just some kind of line switcher [EDIT] with a buffer pedal somewhere as early in the signal chain as possible due to the long cable runs. One advantage the BOSS pedal has in this regard is that it itself is buffered (like all BOSS pedals))
    Thanks, that is a good alternative that should work with any amp and preamp !! As long as nothing gets fried
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-10-2014, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

Imenator, I don't believe that connection scheme you outlined in your first post will "skip" the amp's preamp signal when the F1 is on. I think the preamp signal will be present whether the F1 is on or off.

I devised and succesfully tested a similar connection scheme a couple months back that utilizes a BOSS Line Selector pedal and posted it at this forum thread.

The pedal doesn't have to be a BOSS line selector, just some kind of line switcher [EDIT] with a buffer pedal somewhere as early in the signal chain as possible due to the long cable runs. One advantage the BOSS pedal has in this regard is that it itself is buffered (like all BOSS pedals))
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-10-2014, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

The only reason I haven't snagged an SS-30 is because I'd only use the highest gain channel on it anyway, so an S1 or P1 would suffice.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Hey dominus, that SS-20 sounds very cool and versatile. Clean and overdrive sound better than the F1 and any other of the LA series. It is really making me think about getting the SS-20 plus a power amp and a cab for a portable and loud rig, 3 or 4 times loud power than a real tube amp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X