banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining AMT Electronics F1 with amp's real pream section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominus
    replied
    Re: Combining AMT Electronics F1 with amp's real pream section?

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Are you actually using any of those? Are those tube based preamp pedals? What power amp you using? Are you the one that owns the Crate Power Block?

I am willing to think out-of-the-box as long as it sounds good and I can afford it. For example I know at some point I can get a ISP Stealth and some preamp then buy a cab. Thas option gives the most watts per dollar but not sure how good can it sound compared to an actual tube amp.
    ISP stuff is awesome. A little pricey, but seriously crazy good. I had the Theta Preamp pedal and it was amazing.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

I haven't tried the SS-20/SS-30 yet, but I have tried the P1, R1, S1, E1, B1, and D2, so I'm familiar enough with their tech. The SS-20 is tube, the SS-30 is solid state.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    The SS-20/SS-30 can give you a better clean AND distortion than the Marshall amp.
    Are you actually using any of those? Are those tube based preamp pedals? What power amp you using? Are you the one that owns the Crate Power Block?

I am willing to think out-of-the-box as long as it sounds good and I can afford it. For example I know at some point I can get a ISP Stealth and some preamp then buy a cab. Thas option gives the most watts per dollar but not sure how good can it sound compared to an actual tube amp.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

The SS-20/SS-30 can give you a better clean AND distortion than the Marshall amp.

Leave a comment:

• IMENATOR
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    Rather than getting the F1 pedal, get one of the x2 pedals. (S2, D2, R2, P2, etc.) They have a clean that I believe is based on the F1 clean, AND will give you the OD channel.

Or, spring for a little more, and get the SS-20 or SS-30 and you'll have a bunch of channels to choose from.
    Thanks, those could certainly be used directly into a stand alone power amp (maybe the crate powerblock or isp stealth) and you are right about those are meant to have an F1 type of clean but I am more interested in making the F1 wok with an amp's power section and still being able to use the overdrive/distortion from the amp's preamp section. Think of the Marshall DSL40C I was asking about in the other thread I created yesterday, the clean channel can actually have some nice overdrive, so I want to use two overdrive levels from that amp and still being able to play clean.

If the F1 can work that way then in the future I can focus more on overdrive/distortion when getting a new amp and then pay less attention on the headroom of the clean channel.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

Rather than getting the F1 pedal, get one of the x2 pedals. (S2, D2, R2, P2, etc.) They have a clean that I believe is based on the F1 clean, AND will give you the OD channel.

Or, spring for a little more, and get the SS-20 or SS-30 and you'll have a bunch of channels to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• Combining AMT Electronics F1 with amp's real pream section?

F1 seems to be a slightly complicated pedal so this questions is for owners out there in the forum. This is a preamp pedal meant to provide Fender Twin clean tone into the amp's power section (FX Return).

The interesting thing about this pedal is it has a loop for Channel Send/Return which is meant to work with an external preamp. All the examples I have found show the use of other preamp pedals for overdrive/distortion from AMT but the concept seems to be generic and I wonder if it can be used with the actual preamp of an amp!

This is the signal flow I think could be used, please let me know if you think it can be done and not fry anything

[Guitar] -> [F1 Input] -> [F1 Ch Send] -> [Amp guitar input] -> [Amp FX Send] -> [F1 Ch Return] -> [F1 Out] -> [ Amp FX Return]

Everyting between [F1 Ch Send] and [F1 Ch Return] is "skipped" when the F1 is on and providing Fender tone but it becomes "active" when the F1 is off so the external preamp comes in to provide overdrive/distortion.

To better undestand what I am after, for exampel I may use both channles of a Marshall DSL in overdrive/distortion tone and then switch to the F1 for a clean sound, trying to artificially turn it into a 3 channel amp.

Also, I looked for a support phone number for AMT but I cound not find it. If you know one please share, I would liek to ask the question too to the guys at AMT if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM.
Working...
X