Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pedal can do this tone?

Hey bros,

I am looking for a pedal that has a tone like Billy Gs on the song World Of Swirl

Here is a link so you can listen:

now I know that you need the right studio, mic placement etc, but the basics should be able to be had with a pedal.

I have a Les Paul with a Pearly Gates and a Marshall VS100 combo. The Marshall isnt ideal but should be able to get in the ballpark. Also, what replacement speaker would be good for the Valvestate combo for this tone?

I am limited by budget and availability in Denmark, so I can get pedals from: Boss, MXR/Dunlop, Way Huge, EWS/Xotic, Zvex, Fulltone, Keeley and Pigtronix. A few more perhaps, but I cant get Lovepedal etc and alot of the boutique stuff is way to expensive.

What kind of pedal has this tone? I have heard that the MXR CAE Boost/Overdrive has the fuzziness, and I was also konsidering a Keeley Fuzzhead perhaps, but I dont think its a full on fuzztone, sounds more like a very thick fuzzy overdrive. I usually use other kinds of overdrive so this kinda tone is quite new to me, so I am drawing a blank here.

Hope you can help me guys

Thanks
    Last edited by Axl H; 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM.

Re: What pedal can do this tone?

Forget the CAE for that sound, way to skinny!

Comment

I would deff give the Fuzz Head a serious test!
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
        Forget the CAE for that sound, way to skinny!
        Bummer. Any suggestions?

Thanks jack, i Will try that one
        Last edited by Axl H; 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Honestly, I think an Electro Harmonix Soul Food (Klon clone) does that overall, extremely warm, full mids tone, and if you stack it with something in front, any overdrive of your choice, you will get that saturated, harmonic happy lead tone. Check out some YouTube videos of the Soul Food, I think you'll agree. It's about $65 USD on ebay.

Comment

Try any pedal, like the Fuzz Head, that can do an overdriven fuzz tone.

Analog Alien Alien Twister
              Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
              Rocket WTF Fuzz
              Proco Rat - can deff do a fuzzy-overdrive

Then again, you can always stack a Fuzz with an OD pedal !!!
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Are T Rex pedals cheaper in Denmark, since they're made there? One pedal you'd dig is the Mudhoney. There's magic in that pedal.....sonically pleasing ugliness.
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  Are T Rex pedals cheaper in Denmark, since they're made there? One pedal you'd dig is the Mudhoney. There's magic in that pedal.....sonically pleasing ugliness.

I really like my Mudhoney II

Comment

I know this is not the cheap solution but I get a great Billy tone using my BBE Freq Boost with my TWA Triskelion. I also use a Marshall VS100.

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for late answer.

I managed to trade my way to a Mooer Cruncher (Crunchbox clone supposedly), and it can do a passable World of Swirl tone. It isn't spot on, but its in the ballpark. It will do the job for now, but I will be looking for something more specific.

GJ -> T.Rex cost roughly the same over here. They arent cheap. I have never actually tried the Mudhoney, so I will look into that. Better not tell Niels though

I will look into the other pedal suggestions as well Thanks bros for the help.

Comment

I too have owned a Mudhoney, or actually the TC version, for some years now. It sounds good. I've seen the older version go pretty cheaply used around here, I'd expect it to be even more so over there.
                        There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

OCD is pretty hard to beat for those kind of tones on the low peak setting.
                          The other one thats pretty good is a rat, but with the first set of clippers lifted.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                          X