No announcement yet.

Overdrive pedal for new amp: to boost cleans, and tighten mid-high gain channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive pedal for new amp: to boost cleans, and tighten mid-high gain channel

I got myself a Tubemeister 18 and I think I'd like a tweakable overdrive to use in the following instances:
    1) add some light transparent OD to the clean channel for leads
    2) add some ooomph to the gain channel
    3) tighten gain channel for metal tones

It'd need to clean up well on the guitar's volume and, at risk of using a useless cliché, really add harmonics and dynamics to the tone (in particular on the clean channel, where a sensitive OD could do wonders).

I'm hesitating between these:
    1) Keeley Luna
    2) BB+ (the dual-version)
    3) Wampler Euphoria (or other Wamplers?)
    4) Mad Professor Simble
    5) I forgot! The MI Audio Blues Pro. Had two of them. Always great pedals but needed money back then.
    It needs to be avalaible in Europe, mostly through http://www.thomann.de/lu/distortions3.html or http://www.musicstore.de/fr_FR/FRF/G...ARRE-GITFXVERZ.

Tweakability and dynamics/headroom are very important; I am not looking for an amp in a box or another channel

Thanks!

PE
    Last edited by Pierre; 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM.

Re: Overdrive pedal for new amp: to boost cleans, and tighten mid-high gain channel

When I read the title my first impulse was "OCD."

My first impulse is usually correct.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Re: Overdrive pedal for new amp: to boost cleans, and tighten mid-high gain channel

1) add some light transparent OD to the clean channel for leads
      2) add some ooomph to the gain channel
      3) tighten gain channel for metal tones

On the cheap . . . i would get (i have one) a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

1) it does the light transparent boost perfectly
      2) it has massive amounts of headroom. You can use it as a tone shaping clean boost, or adding extra fire power to your gain tone.
      3) it's an OD, it automatically tightens your tone (the one aspect about pedals with my amps that i do NOT like)
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I use a Lovepedal Kalamazoo with my tubemeister and it is better then good.
        Originally posted by Oinkus
        I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Originally posted by Oinkus View Post
          I use a Lovepedal Kalamazoo with my tubemeister and it is better then good.
          Much better than good.
           Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

It sounds like you'd benefit from a Klon clone. I use a Rawkworks Light OD (the new version even has separate bass and treble controls) but take your pick of the many on the market. I hear great things about the ARC effects Klone.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

If it hasn't already been mentioned, look into the TC Electronic Spark Booster, or even the Mini Spark. Also, definitely the LovePedal PurplePlexi. That OD just sings through just about any amp.

Comment

I use an Ibanez Tubescreamer with my Peavey 6505+ and it tightens up the flubby high gain channel big time, gives me more punch and squealies are easier.

Different pedals will work with different amps though so its a matter of taste. The TS9 is popular though to boost or tighten up tube amps, hence the name, lol.

Comment

Working...
                X