Another Soul Food thread... ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Soul Food thread... ;)

So I finally tried one out today. I couldn't decide between necro-bumping an old thread or adding a new one to the pile but in the end I thought it best to let some arguments stay dead so I started a new thread where we can start NEW arguments. But I digress.

Long story short, I liked it!

I expected it to be more along the lines of an overdrive pedal and it's really got enough gain to be a distortion pedal. You can use it as both, though. It reminded me of an OCD but a tad less juicy sounding and more percussive with less compression, which I thought was super cool because it really lent a good amount of definition to legato playing and responded well when you dug in hard.

I played it with my Music Man and an SG through a JVM, for the record. It did work very well with that amp right off the bat and dialing it in just made it more so.

When using it as a stand alone distortion pedal through a mild crunch or clean channel was very classic rock sounding. With the gain up it was really easy to get some near-infinite sustain going, and not the type where it shifts into the higher harmonic, just that infinite propulsion you get when frequencies are just right. Think Europa by Santana.

Using it as an overdrive on a boosted amp did raise the noise up someone but it added definition on the top and body on the mids. There was some slight low-end rolloff but you can dial around that.

All in all a fun pedal! I'd like to see how it compares to the KTR.

Re: Another Soul Food thread...

This popped up today - it's probably the best I've heard the SF sound so far; certainly better than I've heard mine sound

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Jeff Beck uses that klon to great effect with his Marshall DSL head. You can really hear it on some of his recordings once you learn that tone. It can and does work well with EL 34 tubes. The SoulFood is close to the Klon in many ways and I have never tried it with EL 84 tubes like per say....on a Vox. I know the pedal sounded crazy good with the distortion and treble maxed with the volume up half way thru a super sonic 22 with 6v6 tubes cuz it drove those tubes into an amazing cliping tone. All I did was turn down the treble on the amp a little to adjust for the treble on the pedal which acts like a presence control. I didnt use the "Fat" setting on the super sonic I used the standard clean setting as it let the pedal come through better I felt with the guitar that I was useing at the time...a cheap mexican strat with a humbucker at guitar center. I really wonder how much better the JHS mods would make it sound. On YouTube they sound cool but we all know YouTube is compressed somwhat so who knows. I will probably mod mine with JHS mods and let you guys know if I think it was worth the extra money.
      I am also interested in the EH EXT-ortion pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
        This popped up today - it's probably the best I've heard the SF sound so far; certainly better than I've heard mine sound

Interesting - I had the pedal/rig I was using dialed up to sound much fatter than that!

Comment

I am not impressed with the Soul Food.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I am not impressed with the Soul Food.

FWIW that fake poop looks way too light-colored to be convincing or even mildly gross. It just looks like a weird pretzel or something.

What didn't you like about it?

Comment

Working...
            X