banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boost pedal for Leads w/ Sustain, velvet/silky/creamy tone and output....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost pedal for Leads w/ Sustain, velvet/silky/creamy tone and output....

Hi GUys, Hows it going?
    i did a quick search but didnt see any thread similar, so i posted this one(correct me if im mistaken).
    I own a EVH 5150III 50 watts head, with a handmade 2x12 Cabinet loaded with 2 wgs LIBERATOR speakers.
    and i obviously play SKA.(AHAHAHAHAHAHAH NOT REALLY, METAL, THE FAST, HEAVY, AND AGGRESSIVE ONE) , and i need this pedal to change the amps Tone to something creamier, silkier, smoother, velvet than the original lead or regular 5150 IIII distorted channel, to increase the sustain when soloing, and of course to raise the output when im going to do a lead.
    I have no experience with this type of pedal and always get confused with the clean and distorted boost thing. BUT Lets forget this clean and boost thing. What i would like to know is : Is there a pedal that could do it for me? if so, which one?!?!
    Q: )
    Thank you very much in advance
    JP
    Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
    Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
    Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
    Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
    Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
    Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Re: Boost pedal for Leads w/ Sustain, velvet/silky/creamy tone and output....

Wampler Velvet Fuzz
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

The Mesa Flux Drive with the 5-band EQ would do it.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

PRice? Stand alone pedal on clean or boost on overdrive?

Do you need anymore effects? If do get a tc electronic nova system. They for for a couple hundred used. Now only does it have killer modulation which tc is known for but a very good clean boost. Clean boost doesn't add any gain into your signal rather just increases the volume.

In terms of playing on a clean channel y
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

On clean you could go with fulltone fatboost or ocd, z vex box o f rock or metal has both, fryette makes nice pedsls
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Honestly, a used TS9 with tone knob down and gain up, should work with that amp….

But I was also thinking Fuzz of some sort for the sound you are describing, or a distortion box. Maybe a DS1.

I know those are 'old skool' solutions, but with a serious tube amp, they would both work. It sounds like EQ is more the issue here, and gain.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

hey guys,thank you for all the nice tips
              but i guess i did a mistake here
              i started the thread saying that i needed a BOOST pedal.But im not sure if thats what I NEED. I Guess i formulated the topic slightly wrong.

I need a Pedal, that will give me a bit of "highlight" when my turn to dothe solo comes up. But Its not ONLY that. i need THAT, but i also need the tone to Get Smooth,oily and fluid with sustain. a Good refference would be CARCASS - HEARTWORK cd. jump to 2:04 to heart the solos
              Artist - CarcassAlbum - HeartworkSong - Death CertificateGenre - Death Metal Year - '93Lyrics:A grim myraid, a grey kaleidoscopeSterile, contrastingBorn and ...

and here jump to 5:00 to hear the second solo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDuiHzo81gI
              and here at 2:15http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meeyG7Wa9Uk
              thats enough i guess.

ah, i use a delay(mxr carbon copy) and a wah (slash wah with distortion). thats all
              ah, of course i would not be using the Wampler triple wreck, but since all of you mentioned the FUZZ thing, the wampler HAS A boost thats a FUZZ. but i either dont know how to set itup properly ori dislike it.
              Last edited by WITH FULL DISTORTION; 08-10-2014, 10:17 AM.
              Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
              Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I was going to suggest a setup a la Gilmour. Obviously he's not playing with the same sort of tones, but he sometimes uses a Big Muff into a Tube Driver to get his creamy lead tones. Some sort of fuzz, to give you the gainy sound, into a Blues Drive type pedal to eq/smooth the tones.
                I use a BMF Aries Fuzz, into a Blackstar HT Dual, set on the lower gain side to get smoother tones.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Obviously the song is not the sort of stuff that you play! I'm using the HT Dual higher gain side for all the lead tones, and the lower gain side for the chords until I get to the solo at 3:12. Then I add the Aries Fuzz. It's not really more gainy, but it is smoother than the HT Dual on its own.

Edit: I'm also using the neck pickup until I get to the solo when I switch to the bridge. it would obviously be creamier in the neck position.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

thanks man, could you re send the link?!?! i couldn reach it
                    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

ah, i got it. thanks
                      Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                      Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

This is in the ballpark of what you might need http://www.lovepedal.com/hermida-audio-dover-drive/ Dover Drive. I use many different kinds of boosts and OD on any board I put together , my current fav is the Lovepedal Kalamazoo. If you just need a boost in volume put a EQ in your effects loop and boost it there by setting it up loud when turned on ie a boost. Will make distorted sounds much louder in volume not really what OD does. A very well liked pedal is the Xotic EP but most use it as an always on ambience type thing , can be setup as a boost. Heck my Dunlop CFH wah is a nasty boost sort of OD too , uh 6 of the 8 pedals on my board have some sort of a boost geez .
                        Originally posted by Oinkus
                        I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

You would probably be ok with a tubescreamer as Aceman said, but I have been looking into the MXR FET Driver for solos as well. It does creamy and smooth really well, but I'm not sure how that will work in the context of metal leads. Another option is an EQ with a mid-hump, and gain and volume boost like Slash does.
                          Originally posted by Rockstar216
                          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

for death metal you want your leads to sound velvet/silky/creamy???

hails to the extreme deaththrashfusion mayhem!! you need full assault not wussy shizzle!!!

Comment

Treble booster
                              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
                              X