X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleven Rack Opinions?

A pretty cheap option, but how are the toonz

Re: Eleven Rack Opinions?

Tones are very good. I had mine in an era when I also had a few great tube heads to compare it directly to, it had/has the tube tone and feel. It's all how you dial it in. It was the most realistic running into my SS Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (old, 2-space version), into my Marshall 1960B in stereo config. But I was able to cop some great tones running DI into the PA as well. I've got a friend who's got some awesome gear, who's chosen to gig his 11R and Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro rig direct to the PA for the past 3-4 years exclusively, and his live tone is great. So I really don't think you can go wrong with them if that's what you're looking for.

I liked the on-the-fly tonal/volume/gain adjustment with the front panel knobs, versus paging through parameters like on the Fractal, etc. When playing live, I need to be able to reach over and twist a knob to adjust something, rather than tapping a bunch of buttons to make a tonal change. I had the Kemper rack unit for a short time as well. Great unit, but I still preferred the 11R over it for my own purposes. Honestly, as far as multi-FX modelers go... I still much prefer the Vox Tonelab LE over all the rest. I've had two of them and they are great. No... they're still not my all-tube rigs. But they do sound close and the price is right (especially now).

Here are a couple of recordings that I did with a local band using my 11R several years ago. Acoustic tones were run through the unit as well as crunch rhythm and lead tones. This project was a last-minute deal and hurried. I have no doubt that I could've tweaked the unit for smoother/tighter gain, but it was rushed and and only had like two hours to setup my tones and record them. Probably should have hauled my Bogner XTC and Uberkab up there and done this, but it was on a 2nd floor studio and I was recovering from back surgery... so that wasn't gonna happen. I'm rarely every satisfied with recorded tone for long, but the lead tones here (especially the wah stuff on the first tune) still sound pretty juicy to me after several years of living with them.

Btw... the mushy rhythm tone that you may hear is the other player's POD.

https://soundcloud.com/jwflamenco/the-return-cobwebs

https://soundcloud.com/jwflamenco/th...ohn-versus-jon

Last edited by Red_Label; 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Well that's a glowing review. Acoustic run into it? That works well?

Comment

my opinion is to save up for the Kemper

much better

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
          Well that's a glowing review. Acoustic run into it? That works well?
          Did work well. I prefer an LR Baggs Para DI or my Fishman Loudbox Mini for plugged-in acoustic work, but the 11R did well.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
            my opinion is to save up for the Kemper

much better

I'm not into endless tweaking. I'm a "Ronco: set it and forget it" kind of guy. For that, the 11R was far superior to the Kemper. The 11R can certainly be endkessly tweaked, but it seemed more user friendly and quicker to nail down a tone for me than the Kemper did. I honestly didn't care for the Kemper's tone either... whether run direct to the board or running into the power amp-in of a tube amp.

Comment

I have one at home. It's useful for demos, quick recordings and general messing around. For some reason, my unit is kind of noisy (though that could be a ground loop or interference that I haven't isolated). It is fairly easy to use, for a Protools based rig. I do like mine, it seems like it does a decent job of emulating various different type of guitar tones and has a good set of plugin FX, etc. I like that it has an XLR input so you can record voice and microphones, etc. It's basically a protools interface that is oriented toward guitar players.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with most of what's been said here. I don't own an Eleven Rack, but I've played one a few times. In terms of tone quality it isn't as good as an AxeFx (haven't played a Kemper), but bang for the buck is much better as 11R's are probably 80-90% there tone-wise and go for about half the price of a used Axe Ultra.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The Axe's strength is the quality of its FX and the routing options. The Kemper's models (or profiles) are generally considered to be more amp-like, and there are those who feel that the 11R's amp models are more realistic as well. My experience with the Fractal is less than my experience with the 11R and Kemper, but I preferred the latter two for amp modeling. Now... I will say that the Axe clearly owns the market in terms of FX. I'm seeing a LOT of pro touring rigs that have a pair of Axes for their FX (including Alex Lifeson's rig). Considering that these touring pros can put anything in their racks for FX, that's saying a lot. If I ever were to need to put together a rack again, I'd seriously consider the Axe because of that. I pretty much hate racks any more though. Most of my rack gear is long gone. Would rather use my gargantuan stage board with pedals and loop switching system... running straight into my pair of tube heads.

Comment

I have not tried any of the boxes above and am just judging on the clips which is all I care about since I am into recording if I am not using real tube amps, but I really dig IR impulses, and some dont have them internally and that to me does not sound as good with just an eq curve as a substitute.

for home use on the cheapest end, I recommend:

I use modelers I got for $30 each from amplitube and peavey revalver 3.5 with recabinet impulses; yes lots of lag time but I just record with ezmix amp sims first which dont have lag time, then mix with the heavy computer usage plugins.

Comment

You guys need to speak with Jolly on this topic.

His tone is pretty righteous. Maybe you just aren't using it properly….
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

check this shizzle out:

Comment

here is some stuff that I recorded a couple of years ago before I really even delved into it. I have some much better towns at the moment. I will try to get something new for you this weekend. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=158146

Comment

I don't spend gear pool money on 0s and 1s.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              I don't spend gear pool money on 0s nd 1s.
                              nobody cares what you think.
                              Last edited by JOLLY; 08-30-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X