banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Mythical Overdrive (a/k/a another Klone thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott_F
    replied
    Re: NPD: Mythical Overdrive (a/k/a another Klone thread)

What is a kick in my pants is I owned a Klon in 2007. Paid $340 for it at the time and couldn't justify the tone for the price. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Funny how 8 years your tastes can change. Considering they are going for 2G now, would have been a decent investment.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

Well, the good news is, they seem easy to unload if I'm not happy with it. And Ken offers a 2-3 day return policy which I don't believe I'd ever need to worry about. I like the soul food a lot but hoping to take it up a notch.

And, I"m Irish, my company is Celtic Amps and I'm quite partial to Green.

Leave a comment:

• jimijames
    replied

Never had a soul food but the MO is the bees knees. Since I got it I've found that my favorite sounds are all mid-gain but it's really hard to get a bad sound out of it at any rate.

The oa126 diodes supposedly distort less but my perception is that they also compress less and let some more treble through which gives the impression of a "harder" crunch.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
    Yes sir I do.

I imagine this is about a post on tgp by bluflames? (aka my username over there)

Edit: I saw that I offered to make a sound clip which I can do potentially over this next week if someone reminds me haha
    I just grabbed one of Reverb. Green 34/126 I might be selling the Soul Food!

Leave a comment:

• jimijames
    replied

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
    Still have the MO?
    Yes sir I do.

I imagine this is about a post on tgp by bluflames? (aka my username over there)

Edit: I saw that I offered to make a sound clip which I can do potentially over this next week if someone reminds me haha
    Last edited by jimijames; 12-27-2015, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

Still have the MO?

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Nice! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• NPD: Mythical Overdrive (a/k/a another Klone thread)

Got the mythical overdrive in the mail a few days ago, haven't really had time to play it until a little bit yesterday and a little more earlier today.

For those who don't know, it's built by a guy named ken who lives on Oregon. He seems to have a decent amount of the special sauce oa126 diodes (which I believe have since been disproven as potential candidates for the unicorn tears mystery diodes of the original Klon) and 1n34a diodes, which I got in mine.

First impressions are that this is a seriously good overdrive and boost pedal. For clean boosts I still like my madbean fat pants more, but the clean/buffered sound of the MO is very good indeed. Subtle but sweet, where as the Fatpants (it's an EP-style boost) has more definition but is definitely less "transparent" for lack of a better word. Also it doesn't do drive.

The 1n34a is much smoother and more compressed than the oa126, but they're both still worlds more open sounding than even my beloved GGG MBB/Prince of clone conversion pedal. The MO is the first drive I've used that acts and feels more like a clean boost than an overdrive. The strong articulation is particularly good.

Unlike most dirt pedals, the MO has an active tone control/treble boost which is nice but on my telecaster the second half of the range is mostly ice pick territory. The drive control also changes the eq subtly but noticeably - higher drive setting have more girth. This is all well and good for my single coil equipped guitars but for humbuckers which already have that mid-low mid range push that the MO does, it would be nice to dial it back some.

The character of the OD/Distortion is righteous - it has this great breakup and snarl that can be strident on its own but sounds glorious with an already cooking amplifier. It always remains very clear and feels less compressed than any other pedal I've played. The word "transparent" gets thrown around a lot but I wouldn't call it that exactly... It's just a clear, very high headroom pedal that kind of works in a frequency range your amp doesn't normally occupy. I don't know if that makes sense but it definitely sounds huge and clear.

I really dig this pedal for what it is... Perfect for country and blues, all the way to 80s crunch (though there are pedals like the proco rat that do 80s crunch better I suppose) and really good for goosing a hot amp. The oa126 setting is really good and has a nice tight bottom end which is great for riffing.

I'll post a video on here when I get a chance to record one. It might not be for a while though but I do think a clip would show better what I'm talking about when I describe this pedal.

If you haven't yet, you should definitely check out rimrock effects. Ken is the man and I couldn't recommend his product more highly. Well worth the money if you're curious about trying out a Klone but want a high quality copy at a great price point.

Edit: Photo

Last edited by jimijames; 09-26-2014, 06:27 AM.
Working...
X