Compressor Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Suggestions

For the longest time, well, pretty much my entire playing life, I never used a compressor in my rig. I tried a few here and there at shops and guitar shows and only one blew me away; the Keeley Compressor (2-knob version). However, the Keeley is beyond my budget. I know my clean tone can benefit greatly with a compressor and have been looking at a few.

Joyo Dyna Compressor
    MXR Dyna Comp
    Boss CS-3 (and get Monte Allums Opto Plus Mod)

I don't want to spend a lot and used is definitely an option.

So, what's everyone's favorite compressor these days and recommendations for one on a tight budget?

Re: Compressor Suggestions

I use the Boss CS-3; I have one on my electric board and one on my acoustic board. No problems of any kind, knock on wood. I'm sure there are "better" ones out there. Price, value, durability...it's hard to beat a Boss.

I should add that I use only a slight amount of compression/limiting, but typically it is always on, and I'm not using it as a boost pedal. I set it so I can hear it pump, and then back it off. I would use the Dyna-Comp or the MXR Super Comp the same way. With these settings, noise has not been an issue.

I could be wrong, but I don't feel that a compressor is a pedal that I want to spent huge amounts of money and time obsessing over. It works or it doesn't.

Good luck.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

My fave is the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone.

Dunno if it costs more or less than the Keeley, though.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I had an MXR custom comp a few years back that was pretty cool. Been using the comp built into my G-Major 2 a bit lately but since it's in the FX loop of my amp it's not an ideal situation. So that got me looking into other comp pedals and I keep hearing good things from and reading good reviews on the Mooer yellow comp. It's a Diamond opto comp clone, thus why it gets good reviews. Also said to be quiet which is a plus.

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

If you like the Keeley get an MXR Custom Comp.

You can thank me later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Have you tried the Xotic SP comp? It's got quite a few features in a tiny package for not much money. I like that it has a blend knob, I found it a very useful feature when I had a Wampler Ego.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
              Have you tried the Xotic SP comp? It's got quite a few features in a tiny package for not much money. I like that it has a blend knob, I found it a very useful feature when I had a Wampler Ego.
              I like the SP a lot. I've got a Dyna Comp at the moment that I'm not overly fond of. I will be replacing it with an SP, hopefully sooner rather than later.
              Go Packers!

Comment

I have the Joyo Dyna Compressor
                three knobs Attack, Threshold, and Level
                True bypass
                doesnt add noise on its own

compressors are compressors they all do what they do
                some just have more knobs

I have had the DynaComp two knob rascal

the Joyo seems the be exactly the same but with a level out knob

less than $30 on Amazon

I would say the Joyo is the budget leader
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Get a hold of a good Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer clone. AnalogMan's Juicer will be the best but there are other less expensive versions... don't know how good they are though.

The Orange Squeezer is the compressor that has been copied, tweaked and ripped off for years. I have one of the originals and it is VERY good... almost too good. lolz!

The best combination of squish, attack & sustain you can find in a compressor. The circuit is simple yet elegant and iconic.
                  Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Check the trading post, I think that someone there has a Keeley 4 knob for sale at a decent price.

Comment

if you like the keeley, you will be disappointed with those listed. never tried the joyo, but the mxr dyna comp is pretty dull sounding. the tone knob on the boss makes it sound nicer to me. i second the vote for the xotic sp comp.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        My fave is the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone.

Dunno if it costs more or less than the Keeley, though.
                        This is an awesome comp!

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                        Get a hold of a good Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer clone. AnalogMan's Juicer will be the best but there are other less expensive versions... don't know how good they are though.

The Orange Squeezer is the compressor that has been copied, tweaked and ripped off for years. I have one of the originals and it is VERY good... almost too good. lolz!

The best combination of squish, attack & sustain you can find in a compressor. The circuit is simple yet elegant and iconic.
                        I have a orange comp clone Surgeon here on the forum built me. It's an amazing pedal. I definitely recommend checking out the analogman juicer.
                        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

+1 on the Xotic SP great comp not too expensive. If you want a much cheaper one you probably won't find what you are looking for in a Keeley
                          Originally posted by Oinkus
                          I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

I love my DBX163X. Not exactly a "pedal" per se, but as a half-rack unit, it still fits into a guitar rig nicely. One of the nice features of this unit is its 1 meg front panel input impedance, which makes it perfect for guitar or bass. I also like to run my SFX-01 Pickup Booster in front of it. Those two together can make for some sweet punch in a mix.

And, they tend to sell for not a lot of bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBX-163X.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5781141

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. A few here I hadn't thought of.

Comment

Working...
                              X