Pedal Board update/rundown/signal chain/NPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Board update/rundown/signal chain/NPD

So - my skills have escalated quickly (Thanks to advice/inspiration from many here!). Thought I'd run through a few things….

I'm pretty sure you guys have never seen me in "band mode." And last time, I was running a Boss ME-6. But I used to have like 25 boxes and did all kinds of funky effect stuff. So here is the latest!

This is my board as I'm using it in my 80's Metal band. We play Poison, Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken, etc….I generally am playing a Dean Cadillac with either a JB8 in the bridge, or a set of Pearly Gates. These run into a MArshall 100watt Valvestate. I run the OD1 channel for main rhythm and OD2 for a lead volume boost.

I keep all the cables zip tied for on stage tidy, and the masking tape attached the Amp switch and Onespot, since I may want those arranged differently or separately from time to time. The little yellow/red tape tabs are for fast setup/teardown by anyone NOT colorblind.

The Signal Chain goes:

Guitar >

Planet waves Tuner - got that from evan at User Group day. It tunes, and it mutes. Plus, easy to see onstage. >

Washburn Stack-In-A-Box - Dual MOSFET chips really make this thing seem like a seething Modded Marshall. I generally don't use it, but It would be through the clean channel for leads. My original 80's dirt box! >

Boss HM2 Heavy Metal - Because it IS that sound from the 80's. Again, generally not used, but available. Rhythm tone through clean, if I were to use it. >

Amp

Amp Switch - for clean/OD1 and OD1/OD2. I use this for all leads, fills etc

Then, in the loop:

Digitech CF7 Chorus Factory - This is set for TC electronics Chorus-Flanger. An 80's staple. I love this pedal for the additional controls besides the usual ones. I add a bit of extra highs. Used for any chorus rhythm setting, and with this music, that's pretty much all Poison, def Lep, Twisted Sister, etc….

Washburn Flanger - I use this for the solo on I Wanna Rock - Twisted and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - VH, or anywhere for cool impact effect. It boosts the signal a bit much for my taste. I had to repair the switch on this (Thanks guys!).

Visual Sound Garage Tone Delay NPD! I got this because I needed a third delay, and waged something fast/cheap/ez to use. $30 on the bay. Great pedal. Solid basic sound and does what it should. Great construction. I have this set to do delay for Cold Blood - KIx, and the knobs are easy to grab-see and adjust for You're In Love - Ratt. So if I need something on the fly, I'll use this. Will likely mark box with wax pencil for settings

Boss DD3 A 20+ year veteran of my stable. Can't do this music without it! Set for a tight more metallic delay, down in the mix. I usually use this for things like Talk Dirty - Poison, Shake Me - Cinderella, Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot. Something to get a different tone from the other guitar and that extra crunchy tone those songs have.

Boss RV-3 I got this for Delay/Verb combo settings for acoustic vocals actually, but here it is pulling duty as a long delay for leads. Cool pedal. 3 delay settings, 4 Reverbs, and delay/reverb combos! Boss should reissue this.

The Orange VH box is a Behringer Vintage Phaser I painted. It is there just to fill an empty space on the board. The other guitar player has a real MXR VH Phaer. Has a vintage/modern switch. SOunds great IMO, but I'm not a Phase geek.
    Last edited by Aceman; 11-04-2014, 08:03 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Pedal Board update/rundown/signal chain/NPD

39 views and not a comment???

was it really that meh?

Comment

Looks like a solid setup for your gig. To be honest, I was a little surprised (and excited) to see three delays. You're almost to the point that a DD-20 would be nice space saver. Any plans for a more robust snake? (I really like the Snake idea, when I gigged it was unnecessarily difficult to run cables back and forth)

Since you are all setup with YouTube, let's see a demo of your tones and the way you use it!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Nice stuff, the power supply socket might be wobbly on the garagetone, I have their phaser & OD. I used hot glue to stick it solid to the metal case.

If ya ever decide to reduce the stuff in the loop or shrink the board to one row, i found something that would work for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUScYulIQ4 It sounds fantastic in the vid although its in stereo but still makes me want to go grab one for early christmas treat.

Comment

Youtube vid - Great Idea! I could run through the intro of a few tunes….nice! Stay tuned.

And I was thinking about a few different Multiu-FX approaches; Digitech RP in the Loop, Line Six M5, a few others, including these Zoom boxes.

I think reality is that

a) I'm enjoying pedals at the moment (more is more in big 80's land…)

b) When reduction time comes, I'll be going with a POD

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Looks like a solid setup for your gig. To be honest, I was a little surprised (and excited) to see three delays.
            I was shopping possibly for a Line 6 Delay pedal, or even a Zoom 507 (This things are EXPENSIVE!!!!!)

Can't have too many or too many different delay pedals!

Comment

Working...
            X