• Blog: The SD Pickup Booster Pedal

Click HERE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	large-300x300.gif
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	5835071
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Blog: The SD Pickup Booster Pedal

Why can't people play the same thing when comparing settings? If you really want to demonstrate the difference between a switch set on 0, 1 or 2; then playing the same piece of music with the same settings (other than the one you are demonstrating) would make a lot more sense to me.

Comment

I chose to play the piece without the effect, then with it. I think I provided enough clips to understand what this pedal does. It will sound different with other guitars and guitarists though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have wanted this pedal for so long and now an updated verison??

Awesome...May have to check it out. Using a Malekko Sloika now for always on thicken/boost and stack a Bass Big Muff PI into it for full blown distortion but using the SD Pickup Booster might be a good match too
        Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
        Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
        Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I want to check one of these out also, but I can't help but wonder why they went with a 250k input impedance. I would think that 1 Meg would better match the loading of most guitar amps. The older SFX-01 had 470K input Z. I know the Duncan engineers know what they're doing, but I'm curious as to the thinking behind this spec.

Comment

Maybe they don't know what they're doing.

Comment

I think they know what they're doing. It's me that doesn't know what they're doing.

Comment

My guess is they use the input resistance as part of the resonance switch, but honestly I have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

If it's not a typo, I agree with Artie, I can't make sense of it. In today's market saturated with all kinds of transparent and/or coloring boost pedals, this one seems to send a mixed message. If you pitch a boost as being transparent, and you expect the musician to plug the guitar straight into it (not after a buffer) then in my experiences the minimum input impedance should be 470k, with 1 meg or higher being optimal.

The Suhr is an example of someone offering a 1meg input, http://www.suhr.com/suhr-guitar-pedals/iso-boost/
                  While the Lehle Sunday Driver starts with 1meg, but a switch allows you to go up to 4megs: http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Sunday-Driver/MANUAL#go

Of course if you put it after a buffered pedal, then the signal is low impedance and it's entirely possible the new Booster IS adequately transparent for most players. But therein lies the product design and marketing conundrum: The resonance switches ONLY work as intended if the Pickup Booster is placed directly in line with a passive pickup guitar, no buffer in between. So the way I see it, it's EITHER a transparent boost when placed after a buffer, or with active/low impedance pickups, OR it's a less-than-transparent boost, but one that colors the sound in all three positions, 1, 2, and off. You can still sell a pedal like that in the marketplace, you just have to call it what it is, and teach people what to expect in their rigs.

If I were advising someone to buy this pedal, I would say place it after a buffer, and forget about the resonance switches, or absolutely try before you buy in a store, so that you can listen to what the 250k load does to your guitar's tone. You may like it, you may find it dulls the tone too much. I mean, it's basically like running an extra 250k volume pot hanging off your guitar. The engineers aren't stupid people, so I imagine they have an answer to this question. Perhaps it's addressed in the owners manual, or it was a decision made while listening to the sound of the pedal. Maybe Scott will chime in with a response from engineering like he did on the decision to use a different chip than the one first listed while marketing the 805.

Comment

Who cares about that stuff, Does it come in double creme?

Comment

Working...
                    X