banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the day when you get the EQ just right on your amp is glorious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the day when you get the EQ just right on your amp is glorious...

So today I have done nothing but play guitar and fiddle with my amps EQ, just found a spot on the amp that completely nails the tone from my two favorite thrash records and damn, it feels good! My eq will probably never move again on my hovercraft!

Re: So the day when you get the EQ just right on your amp is glorious...

Record those settings!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Oh I certainly have! I've been scratching my head since I found the sweet spot just because there are two dials pretty much dimed that I never have dimed on other amps do to clarity/note definition issues....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
        Oh I certainly have! I've been scratching my head since I found the sweet spot just because there are two dials pretty much dimed that I never have dimed on other amps do to clarity/note definition issues....
        Don't keep us in suspense! What two controls were they? I do know what you mean. I went through the same exercise with my little Blackstar. I decided to write my settings down on the chart that came in the amp's manual for future reference. I did come up with one setting and an alternate for both the clean and gain channels.

Studioplayer

Comment

I have the more common treble, middle, and bass tone pots and I hit tonal Nirvana when after reading an interview with Jeff Beck I turned the bass pot down.

I'm glad you hit the "glory hole".
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

It will all sound different tomorrow

Comment

Said it before, I'll say it again.

Learn to PLAY your amp.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I find a china marker to come in quite handy for such activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Studioplayer View Post
                  Don't keep us in suspense! What two controls were they? I do know what you mean. I went through the same exercise with my little Blackstar. I decided to write my settings down on the chart that came in the amp's manual for future reference. I did come up with one setting and an alternate for both the clean and gain channels.

Studioplayer
                  Had to bump the gain and the presence up, way up from where I usually have them, but I'm guessing when I can really crank at full volume I will be able to drop the gain!

Comment

wait till you play in a different room.
                    or with a different drummer
                    or bass player
                    or at a different volume level
                    or in a room that starts off empty, then fills up with people
                    or if you play outdoors
                    or in a recording studio listening to how its sounds in the monitors
                    or in a recording studio listening back to the mix with the rest of the band and other tracks.

nothing is set in stone. that's why they have adjustable knobs on amps. Every different stage you play on and every different player you play with requires re-tuning of your eq and other settings.
                    Its great that you have a killer amp and have found a killer sound, just remember to be flexible and trust your ears when you are in different sonic environments.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-10-2014, 12:25 AM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                      It will all sound different tomorrow
                      Happens all the time. There's days when my setup will sound great, and other days when it sounds really off, and I hadn't touched anything. Just how the ears work.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                        So the day when you get the EQ just right on your amp is glorious...
                        And then the weather changes, it gets real humid, and the whole rig sounds different.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

The controls on my amp are currently as follows:

Presence: 10
                          Bass: 0
                          Middle: 10
                          Treble: 10
                          High Treble: 8
                          Normal: 2

The only thing that changes is the High Treble (Volume 1) depending on how much gain I want to work with; everything else stays
                          and hasn't changed for years. That's the beauty of a simple Marshall-ish "4-holer" plexi circuit.
                          Last edited by LLL; 11-10-2014, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            wait till you play in a different room.
                            or with a different drummer
                            or bass player
                            or at a different volume level
                            or in a room that starts off empty, then fills up with people
                            or if you play outdoors
                            or in a recording studio listening to how its sounds in the monitors
                            or in a recording studio listening back to the mix with the rest of the band and other tracks.

nothing is set in stone. that's why they have adjustable knobs on amps. Every different stage you play on and every different player you play with requires re-tuning of your eq and other settings.
                            Its great that you have a killer amp and have found a killer sound, just remember to be flexible and trust your ears when you are in different sonic environments.
                            Conversely, you could just play and not mess with anything. It's always worked for me. For a guy who's pretty particular about his tone, I'm not very particular about my tone.

Comment

My amp's EQ never stays the same from one venue or rehearsal room to another. It's not possible for it to.

The advice I have is old as the hills but it's true. Start with everything straight up and tweak. Sometimes starting from the top and working down is how to do it.

A few times, the acoustics have been so bad, I've had my other guitarist play while I tweak and I've done the same for him. But sure, you don't always get a soundcheck. Being able to rough in your settings for a line check is all you get. Which is where knowing your amp really well comes in!

Comment

Working...
                              X