what distortion pedal for a Vox ac15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what distortion pedal for a Vox ac15

Title pretty much says it all. A cover band wants me to join them and I need a a heavy distortion pedal. I will be playing everything from clean country and blues up to alice in chains and mastodon. My setup is a les paul junior into an xotic ep boost, jetter gold standard into a vox ac15. With the setup I have I can cover most of the music but not the heavy stuff. I know the guitar can handle it I tried it with orange rockerverbs and peavey 6505. The amp takes pedals well so it should be doable.
    So what would you guys suggest pedal wise? I know the best option would be 2 different amps. But funds and space will not allow it.

Re: what dostortion pedal for a vox ac15

Something like a Wampler triple wreck should be able to go as heavy as you want. A couple different pedals would give you a lot more flexibility.

Comment

The Palisades from Earthquaker Devices is a pretty sweet box with two gain options plus a boost.
      Originally posted by Rockstar216
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

The Bogner Red is Jerry Cantrell in a box. A man in a box!
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I will check out both of those. Around here about all I can try in person are mxr and boss pedals.

Comment

Keeley modded MT-2.

Comment

Re: what distortion pedal for a Vox ac15

If you are going to do music that spans so many genres I would suggest the Classic Distortion Plus. You can dial in anything from a clean boost to face melting metal. It has a 7 band programmable EQ and 6 presets. There is also a built in noise gate. You can get anything from Marshall or Boogie amp distortion to classic stomps like the TS9, RAT and Big Muff. I have used mine side by side with my vintage stomps and the Classic Distortion captures every tone and in some cases sounds better.

Comment

A RAT or one of its boutique variants.

Comment

Wampler Sovereign. It's the first distortion box Wampler made that is not based on an amp. Seriously cool. Another one that I have enjoyed is the Cusack Fuzz Screamer. A I can say is wow. A ts9 with a fuzz tone stack in a single pedal.

Comment

Honestly a vox ac 15 just doesn't have the headroom for "heavy". It can certainly do dirty, but heavy, no. They are a great amp for sure with a rich sound but 15 watts of class a el84 power is just not the tool for the job. No pedal can make it sound like a bigger class ab amp. Have a look around for alternatives if you need "heavy". I know the concept of a different amp seems expensive but you can easily waste a lot of money on pedals trying to fit a square peg into a round hole
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-09-2014, 05:25 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I managed to go try some pedals today. I took my amp and guitar with me so I could use my own setup. The pedals I tried were
                      bogner red
                      rat
                      Fulltone ocd
                      Jetter gold standard
                      big muff
                      fulltone fulldrive
                      mxr super bad ass distortion
                      eh soul food
                      mxr prime distortion
                      metal muff
                      I tried different combos of pedals and different orders. The rat sounded good but not quite what I wanted. The bogner red was nice but did not seem to like my setup. The OCD was the best soundong pedal. Until I tried the mxr super bad ass on a whim. I was completely surprised running through my vox and a single P90. It was keeping up with a peavey 6505 as far as gain. After tweaking the knobs a little I was able to cover alot of ground. I found a winner so I told the sales guy to box it up. He hands me a mxr prime distortion to try. I plugged it in and was surprised by it as well.
                      It sounded alot like the rat just a touch smoother. I was able to dial in zz top tones up to mastodon. I couldnt decide then the sales guy informed me since I was getting the super bad ass and a dyna comp that I got a prime distortion for free. As some sprt of a special they are running. So I jumped on it.

Comment

If I could only have one dirt pedal, it would be the RAT. A good treble booster (with adjustable freq. range) into that VOX could sound plenty heavy too and a bit more old school.

Comment

AC15 doesn't mate well with all pedals and for that metalz sound I had a hard time finding one and I just ended up getting another amp. But what worked sorta for me are a T-rex mudhoney (like a Rat); Devi Ever pedals like torn peaker and aenima, EWS Fuzzy Drive, and maybe the Homebrew full metal jacket.
                          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                            I managed to go try some pedals today. I took my amp and guitar with me so I could use my own setup. The pedals I tried were
                            bogner red
                            rat
                            Fulltone ocd
                            Jetter gold standard
                            big muff
                            fulltone fulldrive
                            mxr super bad ass distortion
                            eh soul food
                            mxr prime distortion
                            metal muff
                            I tried different combos of pedals and different orders. The rat sounded good but not quite what I wanted. The bogner red was nice but did not seem to like my setup. The OCD was the best soundong pedal. Until I tried the mxr super bad ass on a whim. I was completely surprised running through my vox and a single P90. It was keeping up with a peavey 6505 as far as gain. After tweaking the knobs a little I was able to cover alot of ground. I found a winner so I told the sales guy to box it up. He hands me a mxr prime distortion to try. I plugged it in and was surprised by it as well.
                            It sounded alot like the rat just a touch smoother. I was able to dial in zz top tones up to mastodon. I couldnt decide then the sales guy informed me since I was getting the super bad ass and a dyna comp that I got a prime distortion for free. As some sprt of a special they are running. So I jumped on it.
                            Congrats sounds like you found your tone. I love going super heavy with smaller tube amps. My 15 watt Excelsior takes to a high gain stomp very well. Big points for thinking outside the box and not being a tone sheep. There are enough guitarists out there that sound the same.

Comment

Glad you found something you like! That's the best distortion box MXR has ever made IMHO. But I'm glad you tried a bunch through your rig and trusted your ears. That's the way it should be done.
                              Originally posted by Rockstar216
                              Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Working...
                              X