what distortion pedal for a Vox ac15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what distortion pedal for a Vox ac15

I used the Super Badass for a bit before I committed to my POD as my only effects processor. It was pretty hard to part with it. The Prime Distortion is a really nice pedal for $40 that it costs. Next time you go to the shop check out the Classic Overdrive from MXR as well. It is a really cheap pedal but has a Tubescreamer clone and a Zakk Wylde Overdrive built in with the two switched between a jumper switch inside the box. A common mod (and one that I made) is to remove the jumper switch and replace it with an On/On toggle. Drill a hole in the chasis and you have a nice bluesy overdrive and a slightly ruder one.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
      Until I tried the mxr super bad ass on a whim. I was completely surprised running through my vox and a single P90. It was keeping up with a peavey 6505 as far as gain. After tweaking the knobs a little I was able to cover alot of ground. I found a winner so I told the sales guy to box it up. He hands me a mxr prime distortion to try. I plugged it in and was surprised by it as well.
      It sounded alot like the rat just a touch smoother. I was able to dial in zz top tones up to mastodon. I couldnt decide then the sales guy informed me since I was getting the super bad ass and a dyna comp that I got a prime distortion for free. As some sprt of a special they are running. So I jumped on it.
      Is that different than the 78 Badass Distortion? I just checked the deal, looks kind of cool. Is the Prime Distortion basically a modded Tube Screamer?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The super bad ass has more gain on tap than the 78. Plus the extra EQ helps. The prime distortion sound similar to the rat I tried. Has a decent amount of gain. It's not a smooth distortion. It has a some fuzz to it. Overall it's a pretty decent pedal.

Comment

Cool, sounds like a nice setup.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think a Rat is the ticket with your amp. Buy the oldest one you can get, there is a difference. A few high end pedals are the same price as an amp, especially used.

Comment

Sounds like you got a great deal on a great setup.

As soon as I read your title, the first thing that came to my mind was the MXR Super Badass Dist. That's a great, very versatile dist. with lats of gain on tap when you want it.

Congrats.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X