eq pedal vs compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eq pedal vs compressor?

i bought some new d activator xs from dimarzio as my pickups for my mockingbird, i like the thick sound but am a tad worried about it being a little too muddy as i am tuned to drop b, i wondering whether a compressor like the boss cs3 will tighten the sound up abit incase it gets muddy, but would a eq pedal work better? if you guys could recommend me any good eq pedals that would be nice too, im interested in the boss one cuz its not too big, i really dont have space on my pedalboard for any large pedals.

Re: eq pedal vs compressor?

I know this isn't too helpful, but if you want, you can conserve pedalboard space by getting your guitar set up with tighter strings so the strings flop around less when tuned that low.

I'm not a big fan of compressors because they can bring out a lot of noise that would be subtle without them, meaning I usually use them with a noise gate when I use them and that's more pedalboard real-estate if you don't already use one.

So my vote is for the eq pedal, though I have never used one in the way you're thinking of using it. Usually I see people using it to tweak their mids around. Mxr has a nice 6 band you can check out and try before you buy to see if it works for you, pretty small too.
    From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Yah eq pedal will "tighten" your sound by reshaping the eq (which affects how our ears perceive said sound) vs a compressor which will just boost and limit your sound to keep the level consistent.

But I would follow FOtBT's advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

i have a noise gate and use it all the time, i have earnie not even slinky 12s, and they are very tight

Comment

i guess, i could just tighten the bass abit and give a more upper mid and treblish sound to give more clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Chazzy View Post
            i have a noise gate and use it all the time, i have earnie not even slinky 12s, and they are very tight
            With that kind of set up, I don't see you having much trouble without either pedal.

Have you played your whole rig together with the D-actx's in your guitar yet?

Comment

you can use a tubescreamer to cut out some low end and boost the upper mids.

Comment

The CS-3 with it's attack dimed and the tone control at or near maximum can tighten up a flubby signal to a certain degree.

I use both personally... not because I have a flubby signal but because I really like it tight. I use a parametric EQ after the compressor/overdrive/distortion section of my board to cut any offending frequencies.

But since you are tuned down... you might not want to cut any bass frequencies because it will impact your power... the CS-3 can tighten up the tone without removing too much bass. With the tone control at or near maximum, the CS-3 will suck a little bass frequencies but it will be an ever so slight cut. You have to put the sustain on zero and then it's not limiting or compressing any more... it's an "attack booster" which is basically using the CS-3 as it wasn't intended, but harnessing it's unique circuit to your advantage in an unorthodox manner.
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

no but i am worried as i heard they are good rythm pups... i played it with my pegasus and it slightly muddy on the low b string however i was able to slightly tighten it up with a little less resonance but not quite as clear as id like...

Comment

i always use a boss super overdrive, i will likely get a tubescreamer one day but the sd1 seems to handle well enough... but it didnt give the clarity boost i wanted

Comment

are there any pedals that do only that, that are a little cheaper? if i can save buck thatd be cool

Comment

I think the real issues here are…

#1 Wrong pickup. They are a fairly even voiced pup from what I understand. They are NOT called "D" for Dropped D tuning. MAybe a Distortion or Full Shred, or Black Winter.

#2 Guitar player trying to play Bass; B is for Baritone. Scale is too short, strings not big enough, and everything else.

I am just not feeling you will be getting the sound you want/need period.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          MAybe a Distortion or Full Shred, or Black Winter.
                          The Black Winter sounds super tight in dropped tunings. Very articulate.

Comment

Standard B tuning on Gibson scale length guitars works fine. I played a Flying V with EMGs (Dimarzio Super Distortion later on) and sounded as tight as I played. Just get some 13-56 strings (or higher even) and maybe a Tubesceamer to tighten things up even more.
                            Compressors actually work counterproductive when it comes to achieving a tight metal rhythm sound. The less compression, the tighter it will sound (depending on your playing ofcourse).

Comment

the short scale is not a big deal tbh... i got some decently thick strings... set up by a tech properly... the pegasus i have in it sounds good and i am capable of pulling great leads... it just simply doesnt have the aggression i want period. Also short scale length shouldnt effect to much from what i understand... i just get extra buzz which sucks but its something that doesnt bother me as much as other players... plus my fretwrap seems to eliminate some of that

Comment

Working...
                              X