Overdrive Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive Overload

Since I haven't used pedals lately and haven't owned an overdrive or distortion in almost a couple years, I thought I'd do a little research, both old and the new.

I gotta say, there's so many options out there now that it makes it rather difficult to pick just one out. It almost makes my head spin. I remember when I started playing and there was but a handful from Boss, MXR, ProCo and DOD, along with a few other oddities.

Anybody else feel overloaded when checking out pedals of a certain type? Doesn't have to be just overdrives and distortions.

Re: Overdrive Overload

I hear ya. I love options, but I totally eye glaze over when I see yet another marshall in a box, tube screamer ripoff or any number of booteek drive pedals with goofy paint jobs. Its ridiculous.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Well, TimmyPage does...

I get wrapped up in it from time to time, but then I remember there only like 10 gain circuits, so most are variations on a theme (TS-808, DS-1, Fuzz Face, Big Muff, Tone Bender, Bluesbreaker, FET based mu-amp etc.) if I have a pedal I like (like a Fulldrive, TS derivative) another TS based pedal isn't going to get me much different. I probably need to explore my playing technique and amp/pedal settings.
      Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-11-2014, 08:33 PM.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Well as far as pedals go OD/distortion pedals are by far the most numerous, but if you asked me why I couldn't tell you.

That being said I am entirely too enthusiastic about pedals... If I had infinity money I would buy a barber gain changer, a rook royale, a bogner red and a bogner blue pedal, a proco rat along with all the OD/distortion/fuzz boards from madbean and a couple of delays... I could go on and on too.

Fortunately I don't have infinity money so I have to spend my time practicing rather than testing out different pedals haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

I jusat bought a used TS808. Its a little touchy as the switch appears to be a bit sensitive. I plan on sending it to Keely to be modded. Once I do that then I will see if I use it or not. I have two TS9's. One was modded by John Spina of this Forum and it is a great overdrive, the other I bought on Ebay and it is also really good. I also have a Maxxon 808, but I really don't like it. It seems like it is lacking in the amount of gain it has. I will probably sell it at some point down the road. Its basically brand new. I think I used it two times. Still in the box!
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Figured I wasn't alone thinking this. I've always been a Boss fan and the OD-3 is real nice and I like what I hear from the OD-1x but haven't been able to find one locally to try out. I even like the Ibanez Tone-Lok series. They're rather inexpensive and get the job done. The delay/echo is one I've kept when it comes to store-bought pedals. Been thinking of picking up the TS-7 and upgrading some of the components since I know how to do that stuff.
            Last edited by ErikH; 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I have discovered the joy of the BEST overdrive, called the DOM, (Dynamic Overdrive Machine). These are handwired pedals from the owner of Exoduxamps(.com) and I have never played an OD that compliments your sound instead of taking it over. It has variable settings for tone & gain, as you can see in the pics. They aren't even available in the USA except through me. I am the only Authorized Dealer for Exodus Amps in the USA. I've played it through 6 different amps since I've got it and improved tone by a good 80%. I have been playing for 20+ years and by far, this is the BEST OD around!!!
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thereby demonstrating why the overdrive market is clogged with so many choices - anybody with a drill, a soldering iron, and a Sharpie can make a boutique OD pedal.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I used to think there were "best OD's" until I owned a whole bunch of them and a whole bunch of amps. Then, I ran every OD into every amp, and found that it's much like dating. You can't predict which ones match up perfectly. One circuit mates with another circuit in a way that several others don't. It's true you get what you pay for in a lot of ways, but price isn't always a determining factor. I've had plenty of $30 OD pedals sound better than $250 pedals, just because the circuit was probably simpler and had no bells and whistles cluttering the signal path.

Once you figure out the best OD for a particular amp, don't sell it!
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I really like my Raptor. I have the typical TS-9 and SD-1 and they are good tools, but the Raptor just has more of everything.
                    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Speaking of bells and whistles, I find that my favorite pedals tend to be simple and rely on component choices, for example the best buffer I've heard is a jfet based reproduction of the echoplex preamp running at high voltage with carbon comp resistors.

I've heard carbon comp reacts irregularly to high voltage, same thing with the mpf102 transistor, that it has a nonlinear response characteristic that we hear as midrange detail.

I also think (but have no evidence or other scientifically valid data to back this up) that higher voltage usually sounds clearer/better unless you're going for something that deliberately smashes the guitar signal like a fuzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Well, I scored a DS-1 on eBay for $25.75 shipped. It needs a knob but I'll probably replace them with the type that Keeley uses. The plan is to do the AMZ Fat Mod to it.

It's always been a reliable pedal and I've had a few before. Modded them like mad but I'm wanting to not overdo it with this one. That Fat Mod alone improves the tone significantly.

Comment

So many options yeah...I prefer Fuzz and OD pedals with simple 3 or 4 knob layouts. They are more straight forward and maybe only do one thing but do it well.

I prefer the malekko sloika for OD/Slight breakup clean always on and a Bass Big Muff PI stacked into it for fuzz.

Both are 3 knob pedals.
                          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Figured I wasn't alone thinking this. I've always been a Boss fan and the OD-3 is real nice and I like what I hear from the OD-1x but haven't been able to find one locally to try out. I even like the Ibanez Tone-Lok series. They're rather inexpensive and get the job done. The delay/echo is one I've kept when it comes to store-bought pedals. Been thinking of picking up the TS-7 and upgrading some of the components since I know how to do that stuff.
                            I really liked the Maxon SD9 I sold to the guitar player in my daughter's band. It was great but I just have too many ODs and Distortions. Right now I'm digging by Klon (ish) pedal with a little Black Pharaoh mixed in when necessary, and my KOT is resting.
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Having two ODs around is fun for two different flavours on tap, i'm waiting for a 2nd one to arrive. I might get a big muff & a fuzz next, argh the bottom row of my board will be occupied just by drive related stuff.. Looking forward to it though, alot of options available below $80 new or used these days

Comment

Working...
                              X