Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb vs Delay

Ultimate Showdown!

Seriously though, for adding space, breathing room and atmosphere, both reverb and delay can be used for the same thing. Well, short delay with a decent amount of repeats/feedback. And live, delay can often sound cleaner without cluttering the band mix, whereas reverb can make things a bit more difficult to mix. On the other hand, there's nothing like a nice spring reverb to add some spank to that space/breathing room.

What are your thoughts? How do you like to use reverb or delay, and/or which do you prefer?

Re: Reverb vs Delay

I dont like reverb and i sold my delay pedal

Comment

bit of both for bed room showdowns. as the place gets bigger i turn down levels, preferably opting for one of the two. for clean patches I prefer reverb and for gain stuff the passages permitting delays. not a big fan of long delays anymore.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Comment

I only play at home in my basement, so both are a must for me.

Comment

For softer passages I like a little reverb, but as the volume increases reverb moves the guitar too far to the back of the mix or track. I always use delay but just enough to add some dimension. I have one setting accessed with a favorite switch the has multiple delays with a splash of reverb.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Typically, the louder I need to turn my amp up the less I find myself using 'verb. It's awesome when practicing in a small room though.

Short delays are fun to have on when playing lead, but they tend to annoy me for rhythm parts (unless the part is built around the delay effect like the Police, the Edge, etc.)
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Both, for my more alternative rock/indie band usually delay only reverb for certain songs as live through an amp it can wash out the sound to much. On recordings however I use plenty of reverb. For the shoegazey band I joined the reverb is on all the time and I add delay for extra atmosphere.
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                Ultimate Showdown!

Seriously though, for adding space, breathing room and atmosphere, both reverb and delay can be used for the same thing. Well, short delay with a decent amount of repeats/feedback. And live, delay can often sound cleaner without cluttering the band mix, whereas reverb can make things a bit more difficult to mix. On the other hand, there's nothing like a nice spring reverb to add some spank to that space/breathing room.

What are your thoughts? How do you like to use reverb or delay, and/or which do you prefer?

I use both. I have several amps, but my promary amps are a Bogner Shiva 1 12" that has Reverb that Rivals any Fender. IMHO its actually better then my Deluxe Reverb. I also have a Super Reverb and the tank is a bit bigger in this and the Reverb is just beautiful. But my primary amps that I play through everyday are the Bogner & a Komet 60. The Komet has no reverb, no effects loop or Master volume. It is raw tone and just kills everything else. Beautifully clean but when I attack the strings it barks with great harmonics and every note just blooms. When I first bought this amp I added a Reverb pedal(Verbzilla) just to wet the signal a bit, but I also use a Boss DD3 in both the Komet and Bogner. It just adds a bit of ambiance to my sound. I use it when playing clean with the Komet and overdriven tones with the Bogner.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I echo the comments above... For practice a little ambiance is very nice, otherwise it's an effect and should be used as such. I like splashy spring (surfy sound), cavernous hall (post rock style) and short plate (EVH style). Same goes for delay, a short doubling for thickening rhythm, a mid length delay to add space to leads and tempo based rhythm a la The Edge/Run Like Hell. Finally, multiple, clashing delays (darker tone) with a long tailed reverb is lush ambient heaven.

But definitely agree, adding reverb and delay without a specific reason will have adverse effects to your live and recorded mix if not careful.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Both...Delay set on slapback w/ fast decay.
                    Overall, I prefer delay (slapback) especially if the room has natural reverb.

Comment

Reverb for smaller rooms to add some sense/illusion of space. Added very subtle (as in you can't hear it
                      till it's gone).
                      Delay for fattening up slower solos, rhythmic patterns and more pronounced slapback echos.

Comment

I never use reverb. I always have a delay on.

Comment

I almost exclusively use delay for this, but that's mostly due to gear limitations. My gigging amps don't have reverb, and I don't have any stomps either, otherwise I like a splash of 'verb on my cleans. I'm ok with having a short delay for ambiance though. Like CTN said, it's a bit "cleaner" live.
                          Originally posted by Rockstar216
                          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I use a little reverb on clean stuff and only use delay when I'm covering something that absolutely needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              I never use reverb. I always have a delay on on on on.

fixed
                              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                              X