Power Consumption data for pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Consumption data for pedals

Hey guys, I took some power supply readings of some of my pedals & from some friends as well and thought I'd share it.

EHX Stereo Electric Mistress: Bypass-155mA, On-163mA

EHX Memory Boy: On-31mA(for lowest delay setting), ~25mA-medium & above delay settings, reverse happens with the modulation rate as in faster=more,slower=less. This pedal is a little strange, its requires 20secs or something to warm up, so I'm not sure if it does that in bypass mode, in which case the bypass mode uses the same amount of current as in when the pedal is turned on

Turbo Tuner ST200: Bypass-0mA, On-42mA

VS Garagetone Phaser: Bypass-6.2mA, On-9.6mA

VS Garagetone Tremolo: Bypass~8-10mA, On-15mA. Values go up depending on the wave knob, higher equals more.

VS Garagetone Drivetrain: Bypass-10.7mA, On-17.7mA

VS Open Road: Bypass-11.2mA, On-17.5mA

MXR CAE MC404 Wah: Bypass=On-6mA

Digitech DF7: Bypass-60.5mA, On-61.6mA

Those are all I could get my hands on. Funny, I had emailed digitech wanting to know the power requirements for the DF7 pedal & they replied saying 90mA. Well I guess some manufactures don't want to share stuff with random individuals or want to keep things on a much safer side by stying quiet. The one with the ehx memory boy is also lower than whats stated in the product manual.

In any case, thats about it

Re: Power Consumption data for pedals

Typically there's quite a lot of variance from pedal to pedal of the same type . . . plus you don't ever want to run something right at the edge of the limit, so usually engineering values offer some sort of safety margin, which would explain why the manuals show something different than what you're reading.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah thats true. I do like that the Sonic Research, MXR & VS approximate values are fairly accurate & closer to the documented ones.

There seems to be something wrong with my MXR 404 wah, its sorta gives me tone suckage if I don't place a really good buffer in front of it, doesn't matter what I place after it. My memory boy & turbo tuner don't do that. Now I keep it separated from the board & only plug it in if the song requires it. Very odd considering it's truebypass & doesn't behave like one in isolation either, compared to the other TB pedals of mine. On the same note, love the VS buffer, I feel that for cheapo price that their chainsaw distortion sells, it's worth having that just for its buffer, I think they even make a dedicated buffer thingy pedal too, not sure. The digitech buffer is good too but tends to add a little midrange.

I also got me some Amphenol right angled nickel connectors, i don't remember which series it is but its not their latest innovative one I think. Anyways, I have neutrik NP2RX-(BAG?) gold connectors that I've been using. I noticed that if you have more than 4 of those in a chain then the capacitance goes up, maybe has to do with the gold plating being a factor I guess. It gets worse if the a long cable is used with them at both ends. Most of my instrument cables come with gold plated tips, I have planet waves & some warwick stuff. I tried out the nickel plated ones on the warwick cables I had & noticed an improvement there as well, I'm tempted to change the connectors on my planet waves american stage cables, but I'll just leave them alone I guess & switch to all nickel ones once they go bad. I'm starting to feel the all gold plated thing is handy if the cables are always plugged in the same location/device for days/months like in a studio environment, so concerns of corrosion won't be present much. But these seem to get scratches sorta from daily plugging in/out. Defintely not a good idea for instrument cables in my case imo.

Comment

Good data to have. There's some good data here too: http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
        Some of it says stated, and I think those aren't tested. Then others have been tested. It's good to know this stuff, especially if you're going to decide which pedals you'll have on a daisy chain, vs. which pedals will come directly from an isolated power output. In other words, if you have a Pedal Power for example, put all your low current pedals on the daisy chain, and run isolated power to the higher consumption (and digital) pedals.

Comment

^Thanks for the link, love the data, actually came across a pedal in there I wasn't aware of before too

I made a battery supply using rechargeable AA enelope cells, for my board that consists of the drivetrain, st200, 404 wah, oil can phaser & memory boy. The daisy chain works fine but had to go with high amount of filtering(i think i put three 6kuF caps on the output) to get the wah to play nice. When reaching the heel position & with od or inbuilt boost engaged, I used to get a bunch of underlying motor sound, I guess since it sweeps through some very low value freqs in that position. Not a big deal though, it worked out in the end. I also got a new idea for an alternative high capacity power bank from that site you linked earlier, should be able to power my board for weeks before a recharge is needed.

Comment

Working...
          X