Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a new distortion.

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Shoving it down everyones throats in a thread asking for distortion pedal advice is cork sniffing.
    I'm not seeing how posting my personal opinion and experience on the topic is "shoving it down everyone's throat".

Cork sniffing is when you buy cheapass lacquered balsa-wood knobs for your tube home stereo; $800 for a set of two... in the hopes that
    the product description, "vastly deepens the soundstage to the point you'll want to dive right in!" rings true.

Sure, some of my suggestions are different from the norm, but some people may find that thinking "outside the box" is helpful for them.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      I'm not seeing how posting my personal opinion and experience on the topic is "shoving it down everyone's throat".

Cork sniffing is when you buy cheapass lacquered balsa-wood knobs for your tube home stereo; $800 for a set of two... in the hopes that
      the product description, "vastly deepens the soundstage to the point you'll want to dive right in!" rings true.

Sure, some of my suggestions are different from the norm, but some people may find that thinking "outside the box" is helpful for them.
      When it MUST be a plexi, When the BEST NATURAL tone is blah blah blah... this is when it becomes cork sniffery. Offering another point of view is cool, but when you give off the attitude of "stomp boxes suck you gotta use a plexi cause it HAS to be power tube distortion" this isnt offering another point of view.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
        Diego is onto something with the Jackhammer. I found the Guv'nor to be another great drive from Marshall. I suggest either of the MXR "Badass" Distortions. The Super Badass is probably more flexible, and IMO, has better tone. The '78 Custom Badass isn't bad either, it's just a different flavor, and not quite as heavy.
        I recently got the super badass. It seems to keep a lot of depth of the guitar's tone: sometimes I find fuzz can kind of "generic" your tone, if you know what I mean.

Comment

You can mod the RAT to sound more suited to your needs.

Swap one of the silicon diodes for a germanium one or swap both for LEDs and see if doing so helps.
          Originally posted by Myaccount876
          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            When it MUST be a plexi, When the BEST NATURAL tone is blah blah blah... this is when it becomes cork sniffery. Offering another point of view is cool, but when you give off the attitude of "stomp boxes suck you gotta use a plexi cause it HAS to be power tube distortion" this isnt offering another point of view.
            I can't help you, but I can suggest this: You should ask yourself why other people's opinions and experience bother you so much.

I'm not discussing this further; that's enough sidetracking.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              I can't help you, but I can suggest this: You should ask yourself why other people's opinions and experience bother you so much.

I'm not discussing this further; that's enough sidetracking.
              I missed where I asked for your help... People sharing experience doesn't bother me in the least. Where i took exception was that a guy asked for a stomp box suggestion, he got told the "best natural tone" came from a cranked amp...
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

hi
                i saw 2 MXR pedals : badass 78 and superbadass (grey)

great sound or not ?

Comment

Not sure how high gain of a distortion you're looking for but you might want to check out the Wampler Triple wreck.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Get a good low wattage tube amp. Then you can crank it without tearing holes in the walls. On a recording, it actually sounds about the same. Maybe even better.
                    Here's an example of what 5 watts can sound like. https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/iba...with-sh-6n-and
                    Last edited by Demanic; 12-13-2014, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X