Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Tube Classic questions

Hi everybody,

First post here. Been using a Heritage H535 with SD Antiquities for seven years and a Twin Tube Classic for 2.5 and have been loving them for an equal amount of time. Just a few questions about the latter:

- Ever since I bought the Twin Tube (second hand) it's been giving off an electronical smell. It's been opened up but the source of the smell has never been found, could it be the tubes? No dust inside there either...
    - Had an awful gig last Tuesday and my Dunlop DC Brick has stopped working along with the power supply of the Twin Tube. Our keyboard player's keyboard stopped working as well so I guess there was something fishy with the power at the gig. I emailed SD for a replacement power supply but am wondering if the pedal itself might have bitten the dust too. Repair guy said he won't know until I get a replacemet power supply. I know it's a long shot but maybe someone had a similar experience and knows what happened to my gear? I've had people say the power could have been set to 380V but wonder if it's even possible to hook guitar gear up to that?

Any insight is welcome, thanks a bunch!

Re: Twin Tube Classic questions

Thanks! There's definitely no glowing anymore. I can plug it in but it won't turn on. I can try to make a few pics of the vents on the outside with a peek inside but is that of any use?

Comment

The Twin Tube Classic runs on 16v AC. Any other type of power supply is likely to fry it.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 380v might refer to the plate voltage.
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Sounds like your power supply is damaged. If you have a multimeter (you should buy one if not) plug in the power supply, switch the tester to Volts AC and see if you get a reading. Should read 16 volts +/- a few volts at least. If it reads anything else, it is faulty. So then you would need to purchase a new power supply. Hopefully you haven't damaged the Twin Tube Classic, which would seem like a stretch because the first thing that would go if there were a huge voltage spike would be the power supply. I have a SD Twin Tube Blue which I love and it works beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
          Sounds like your power supply is damaged. If you have a multimeter (you should buy one if not) plug in the power supply, switch the tester to Volts AC and see if you get a reading. Should read 16 volts +/- a few volts at least. If it reads anything else, it is faulty. So then you would need to purchase a new power supply. Hopefully you haven't damaged the Twin Tube Classic, which would seem like a stretch because the first thing that would go if there were a huge voltage spike would be the power supply. I have a SD Twin Tube Blue which I love and it works beautifully.
          Thanks! I did try the pedal with someone else's power supply and was very glad it still worked. At first I thought Ebay was the only place I could buy a replacement but at least there's that German site. All will be well!

Comment

Keep in mind that the TT "power supply" is simply a transformer. There's no "electronics" per se, inside. Any decent transformer will work as long as it has the proper voltage and current capability. If your tech has an auto-transformer, that would work too. Just dial it down to 16 volts.

Comment

Very glad all will be well with your SD Twin tube.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulDesmondTutu View Post
                - Ever since I bought the Twin Tube (second hand) it's been giving off an electronical smell. It's been opened up but the source of the smell has never been found, could it be the tubes? No dust inside there either...
                OK, my TT Classic "let the smoke out" a while back (like you our power is a bit all over the place, regularly cooking things). It took out the 16VAC wall wart too.

Turns out the step up transformer overheated, fatally, with bubbles of melted plastic. I've not worked out if anything else died, before or after. Now my local SD repairer has been told that there's nil stock of the transformer in the supply chain. Which is not surprising given when SD stopped making the SFX-03.

The transformer is a Thailin TL99-0016-018 who have an office right there in Hong Kong. I'm currently hunting for distributors who might sell me one.

If anyone knows where one is (or has a dead TTC) please let me know!
                Last edited by thoglette; 11-19-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulDesmondTutu View Post
                  Hi everybody,

First post here. Been using a Heritage H535 with SD Antiquities for seven years and a Twin Tube Classic for 2.5 and have been loving them for an equal amount of time. Just a few questions about the latter:

- Had an awful gig last Tuesday and my Dunlop DC Brick has stopped working along with the power supply of the Twin Tube. Our keyboard player's keyboard stopped working as well so I guess there was something fishy with the power at the gig. I emailed SD for a replacement power supply but am wondering if the pedal itself might have bitten the dust too. Repair guy said he won't know until I get a replacemet power supply. I know it's a long shot but maybe someone had a similar experience and knows what happened to my gear? I've had people say the power could have been set to 380V but wonder if it's even possible to hook guitar gear up to that?

Any insight is welcome, thanks a bunch!
                  380v is the plate voltage.. The rectifier is converting the 16 volt power supply to 380 volts across the rectifier..
                  Don't mess around in there if you don't know what your doing.. 380 volts is lethal..

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
                    Don't mess around in there if you don't know what your doing.. 380 volts is lethal..
                    +1 several.

SD did put a surge arrestor in there (the reversed diode after the HV rectifiers) to protect the tubes if the incoming voltage is too high. If you're lucky the wallwart dies/shutsdown before any damage is done. Not so lucky in my case - it seems the step up transformer died then the (slightly too big) wallwart died.

Next powersupply set-up gets a fuse in the 16VAC line!
                    Last edited by thoglette; 11-21-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X