DI boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DI boxes

Does anyone on here use one for their live setup mainly? Been reading about the Radial JDX, do I actually need one for live venues?

Re: DI boxes

yeah i do. I use a Radial JDI whenever i'm required to hookup my Boss GT-6 direct to FOH mixer to make the few patches that sound good going direct to the board sound nicer. without the JDI, if I go direct to the mixer (even with the 'output select' set to 'PA' in the GT6) the low end goes missing and mids are never complete. though the sounds i get everyday are not the same going into different boards, PAs, etc. I feel i almost always get something i can live with after few tweaks. it sure cuts down on; time required to properly mic cabinets, issues with un-accommodating sound guys, and accidentally knocking mics off that precious angle. I love the JDI for what it does, and would recommend it to anyone having a similar setup.

However i'd be lying if i say it is as sweet as the tone achieved through the same rig with a miced up cabinet (the speaker simulation is downright horrible in GT6).

Though the JDI is supposedly capable of going in between amp head and speakers (with built-in pads) i've never tried that, but i'm pretty sure that JDX is made to do just that. I think with more DI features dependent on the JDX you might get something better. be prepared to experiment with things you wouldn't do normally with the tone stack. also be aware of possible frustrations, where you might get somewhat different tonal responses inbetween what u hear from the cabinet and what is sent to the FOH and back to you from a monitor. chances are that the signal sent from the DI are more uniform relative to what you send from a miced cabinet venue-to-venue. in a live situation i would always value a DI box as an essential tool, because i find i can settle for decent tone in the least amount of time spent with minimal complications. needless to say this also opens up avenues where you can experiment by sending both the miced cabinet signal and DI'd signal to the board for mixing if you have the patience to sort out complexities and time to do so. in live situation that is exactly what you get very little of.

so i would still recommend a DI in a live situation, because it is one of the most economical ways of sending what you do to the FOH.

Comment

I have been using Torpedo CAB
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I would, someday, like to build a vacuum tube DI box. Anyone have a schematic?

Comment

Working...
        X