Looking for boost recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for boost recommendations.

My black strat is in the shop for bigger frets, nut etc. I mainly want it for getting my blues on. The rest of the set-up will consist of a '73 Pro Reverb, Uni-Vibe, TS9 and Boss delay and maybe a wha and fuzz at some point.

I've never used a booster so give me the quick 411 in the context of a blues rig.

Re: Looking for boost recommendations.

treble booster or clean boost? how loud you have that pro turned up?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      treble booster or clean boost? how loud you have that pro turned up?
      That's the thing...I don't know from treble or clean save the difference on paper. That's the main reason I'm asking people who have actually used them in this context. The amp doesn't see much action past 3.5 on the volume knob. It begins to open up just under 3 but 3.5 is better still. 4.5 to 5 would be ideal but now we're talking really loud. I'm also not opposed to trying less efficient speakers to make the amp work harder. Right now it's loaded with a 10+ years old Carvin gold back and a proprietary marshall celestion from an old DSL combo. The Utah's that were in it long ago when I bought it were utter crap.

Comment

im sure speakers would make a big difference but they can be expensive and thats another discussion.

for pedals since your amp isnt breaking up then its going to be a volume boost after your ts9 or a gain boost in front of it. a treble boost into the ts9 might be cool but after would probably sound less than stellar. treble boosters work great into cranked amps but i really dont like em into clean amps

Comment

That's the kind of info I'm lookin' for. Thanks!

Comment

I love the clean boost of my Fulldrive mosfet 2
            Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
            Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
            At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

A treble boost rolls off the bass frequencies so it doesn't get mushy and farty.
              Most clean boosts are full range....some can colour the tone (like the EP Boost) and others have much more transparency.

Comment

The Catalinbread Naga Viper is a treble booster that can do a clean boost on a clean channel if you turn it's gain control down. It also has a range knob which will let you do anything from a treble boost to a full ransge boost. It's silicon and sounds a bit smoother to my ears than the Java Boost for example. Also more gain on tap and far less noisy.

For a regular clean boost the MXR Micro Amp or the newer Micro Amp+ are excellent. The latter also has an active 2 band eq, which can be subtle but extremely useful I've found.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Fulltone Fat Boost FB-3
                    description here: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FatBoost3

Comment

Keeley Katana Boost is both a clean boost and a slightly dirty one, both modes sound great with my tube amps.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                        The Catalinbread Naga Viper is a treble booster that can do a clean boost on a clean channel if you turn it's gain control down. It also has a range knob which will let you do anything from a treble boost to a full ransge boost. It's silicon and sounds a bit smoother to my ears than the Java Boost for example. Also more gain on tap and far less noisy.
                        IIRC the way the range control on the catalinbread works is by changing the input impedance (The Runoffgroove omega does the same thing) while the "heat" changes the bias of the transistor. What that means is that it's a very versatile design but it goes more from a treble boost to a LPB-1 style boost than an EP boost which while not being a true clean boost is going to be more hi-fi than the viper. I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember about the circuit.

An ep-style boost like the Xotic or dunlop echoplex booster are going to add some bass, which is great for a guitar like the strat. They can sound great with humbuckers too, you just have to make some adjustments to the amp to compensate. They also have some more clarity on the top end which is partly due to the higher (and fixed) input impedance and partly due to the fact that they control the volume from the source of the transistor rather than at the end of the circuit (in which case they work kind of like a volume knob on your guitar and can roll of some of the higher frequencies).

Then we have the z.vex SHO which has massive input impedance - something on the order of 5 meg. It changes with the volume because like the EP boost the volume control of the SHO is on the source of the MOSFET transistor. Incidentally that's why it causes a crackling noise - if you moved the volume control to the output of the circuit that noise would go away but you'd lose some of the 'sparkle' that many people like so much about the SHO.

Those are all transistor-based booster pedals - there are also a bunch of op-amp booster pedals available as well. In fact, the prince of tone on the 'clean' setting is a pretty spectacular clean boost pedal (if it's anything like the GGG Marshall Bluesbreaker I converted to PoT specs as a clone anyways). I'm trying to think of another example but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Basically, I would recommend something like the xotic EP because it has internal DIP switches to allow you to change the EQ of the pedal to something you like, and it is a great sounding boost to boot. If price is no concern, the clincfx EP-Pre has an onboard charge pump and the badgerfx trilogy is as good as they come. The effect is subtle but definitely noticeable.

Lastly, for about the same price, you can get a klone (there's about a million around) and just turn the gain all the way down - when you do that it's one of the better op-amp boosts out there. It has a ton of gain on tap, and plus has a low-mid push that's designed specifically to work with fender guitars and amps - it really fills out your sound without taking away any top-end clarity, which would be the case with a pedal like the naga viper or seymour duncan pickup booster which use input impedance to alter the frequency response of your guitar.

If I find any more op-amp boosters I'll post them here but that should be enough info to get you started.
                        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Getting my knowledge on!

Thanks.

Comment

Never underestimate the power of a simple EQ... not only can you boost select frequencies, you can shape the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                              An ep-style boost like the Xotic or dunlop echoplex booster are going to add some bass, which is great for a guitar like the strat. They can sound great with humbuckers too, you just have to make some adjustments to the amp to compensate. They also have some more clarity on the top end which is partly due to the higher (and fixed) input impedance and partly due to the fact that they control the volume from the source of the transistor rather than at the end of the circuit (in which case they work kind of like a volume knob on your guitar and can roll of some of the higher frequencies).
                              The Belle Epoch also has an internal trimpot which let you boost your dry signal like an EP would. Never owned a real EP, but it really does a nice job fattening up a Strat or Tele. It also has delay btw. and a very nice one indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X