X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aleclee
    replied
    Re: NPD - Atomic Amplifire

It does fine in either role. The broad dispersion gives you much better FOH coverage than a beaming guitar cab.

Leave a comment:

• tone4days
    replied

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
    Haven't played the neo variant but it supposedly sounds identical to the (awesome) CLR I've for about 3 years now. Whether the neo is worth the upcharge will vary by individual's taste and finances. If I was still gigging and using the CLR live, I'd seriously consider the extra benjamins to shave 13 lbs off the wedge. I'd rather play the CLR in mono than most anything else in stereo.
    thanks
    if my new project decides to play out regularly, think a neo wedge will ge a serious look

do you use yours as backline or a stage facing personal gtr monitor?

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

Haven't played the neo variant but it supposedly sounds identical to the (awesome) CLR I've for about 3 years now. Whether the neo is worth the upcharge will vary by individual's taste and finances. If I was still gigging and using the CLR live, I'd seriously consider the extra benjamins to shave 13 lbs off the wedge. I'd rather play the CLR in mono than most anything else in stereo.

Leave a comment:

• tone4days
    replied

sorry to bump a zombie, but Alec, have you heard/played their neo wedge?

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I remember Atomic being the company that makes powered speaker cabs for modeling rigs.
    So, I guess the Amplifire is tailor made for their powered cabs.
    It is. I have one of their CLR wedges and it's a kickass piece of kit.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

I remember Atomic being the company that makes powered speaker cabs for modeling rigs.
    So, I guess the Amplifire is tailor made for their powered cabs.

Here's their video

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
    How many & what types of amps are we talking?
    Currently there are about a dozen amps. A couple Fenders, Vox, a few Marshalls, Recto & 5150 and a few others. I don't expect they'll get to the dizzying array that's in the AxeFx but they do seem committed to broadenin the selection.

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    replied

How many & what types of amps are we talking?

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    started a topic NPD - Atomic Amplifire

NPD - Atomic Amplifire

Some of you are aware that I turned to the dark/digital side a number of years ago. When I was at NAMM a few weeks ago, I was invited to get a sneak peek at Atomic Amps' newest product, the Amplifire. I did a writeup on TGP's webzine but the bottom line was that it inspired gearlust like I hadn't experienced in years. It's a 8.5"x6.5" pedal that has terrific amp sims (courtesy of Studio Devil), impulse response based cab sims (allowing you to load your own free or commercial cab sims), a full complement of effects (wah, drive, compressor, delay, modulation, EQ, reverb) all for an introductory price of $600.

The amp sims were what really got my attention. This was the first device I'd played that made me think I could live without my AxeFx. It's not nearly as tweakable as the Fractal device but it's very usable with the dedicated amp knobs on the top panel.

They finally started shipping last week and I got mine yesterday (paid $600 + $20 S/H). I'm still in the honeymoon stage but it's everything I remembered from NAMM and more (they added a few features since then). The amp sims are great and I used an acoustic impulse response (IR) to put together an acoustic sim preset. Speaking of IRs, the ones in the Amplifire are good but not quite my cup o' tea. That's where the ability to load your own IRs is a great feature. People often don't like the cab sims in modelers. Giving folks the ability to swap in the cab sim of their choosing is a brilliant move IMO.

I'm looking to use this as the core of a new live rig. Being old and lazy, the idea of going to a rehearsal/gig with a 15lb pedalboard (Amplifire + a few pedals) and my 5lb Parker Fly in a gig bag has me positively giddy. As this little red box becomes more widely available, I suspect that there's going to be quite a bit of (well-deserved) buzz.
Working...
X