• Show
Clear All
    Lucy Diamond
    Super Toneologist

• Lucy Diamond
    replied
    Re: This pedal seems to have flown under the radar

This is very interesting.

I absolutely love my ep booster and it gets along with my amps so well I was going to get another one but after reading this I may get the echoplex one just to have a little something different.

We'll see.

Thanks man.

Enjoy in good health.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Heh. Wow. One year.

I still use it! I mostly use it as a boost for leads these days, as opposed to a tone enhancement for my rhythm tone. Since I have got my DSL, I'very had less need for it on all the time.

That said, I still think it's coolest function is the ability to set it so you get less gain and retain the chunk of your tone. Very neat. That still works very well even with the DSL.

It's not very versatile, but does a great job within its limitations.

Leave a comment:

• GilmourD
    Burritotoneologist

• GilmourD
    replied

So, one year later, do you still feel the same JeffB? I'm looking at some EP type preamp pedals and trying to figure out which one.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    Peaveyologist

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    If it runs on 9V but gets 18V internally, they have a charge pump inside that increases the voltage. It's a nice way to make a pedal board friendly without needing a separate power supply.
    The Soul Food does that also, but I believe they have there's configured for +/-9-volt operation. That gives you a true bi-polar supply so you can eliminate some caps in the signal path.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• Matt42
    replied

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    In addition, you really need to be playing LOUD to get the full effect.
    I think that was part of my problem.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Here is something fun I discovered. Backing off the gain below unity on the pedal cleans up your amp in a very cool way- it reduces pre amp saturation but retains the beef in the eq, giving the sonic impression of a very low gain amp dimed ala a twin reverb or a hi-watt jacked way the f up. It doesn't thin out though like if you just reduced the pre amp gain on the amp itself.
    Last edited by JeffB; 03-15-2015, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
    I always loved the funky square wave type of clipping that the preamp stage of the tape units had. It gave a nice edge and plumped up your guitar sound before hitting the amp.
    Bingo.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    Darkness on the edge of Tone

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    Just the pre, Ben.

FWIW, I think this and other EP pre pedals are not the kind of thing most people will try in a store and say THIS HAS TO GO ON MY BOARD, NOW. Instead it is a very specific sound that was used by a lot of people in a certain time period and is very subtle, but it can give ya that missing frequency,pop, and slight grind. Most people are not looking for it or care. And in that case you are better served with a typical clean boost or od. In addition, you really need to be playing LOUD to get the full effect.
    Thanks for the clarification. I have no interest in it, I have tape emulation, echo units, and an actual tape echo unit if I need that type of coloration.

Leave a comment:

• idsnowdog
    Imperator of Indignation

• idsnowdog
    replied

I always loved the funky square wave type of clipping that the preamp stage of the tape units had. It gave a nice edge and plumped up your guitar sound before hitting the amp.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Just the pre, Ben.

FWIW, I think this and other EP pre pedals are not the kind of thing most people will try in a store and say THIS HAS TO GO ON MY BOARD, NOW. Instead it is a very specific sound that was used by a lot of people in a certain time period and is very subtle, but it can give ya that missing frequency,pop, and slight grind. Most people are not looking for it or care. And in that case you are better served with a typical clean boost or od. In addition, you really need to be playing LOUD to get the full effect.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    Darkness on the edge of Tone

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

I am curious: is this tape emulation? Or a recreation of the EP's preamp? Both?

What you are describing sounds a lot like Deck 1 on the strymon DECO, which is tape emulation/saturation.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• Matt42
    replied

I tried it at a GC right after it came out. I wasn't super impressed, but I might have to give it another shot after your post.

Leave a comment:

• jimijames
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• jimijames
    replied

I dunno if a charge pump is to make it more pedalboard friendly or what, but they do have a slightly different sound compared with running it straight 18v like with the xotic. I don't want to call it sag but it's something qualitatively that I prefer.

Just be careful when you're using it with a digital delay because some charge pumps can cause a heterodyning noise - people have had this problem with klones but idk if the Dunlop pedal has them.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    Joyfulnoiseologist

• Hoss
    replied

Sounds like the kind of stuff I'm getting out of my EM DRIVE.

Leave a comment:

• the toad
    Tone Member

• the toad
    replied

Awesome, thanks for the post, I've been eyeing boost pedals lately. Specififly these two as well as the TC spark...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X