banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Drive/Gain/Fuzz/Distortion pedals do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many Drive/Gain/Fuzz/Distortion pedals do you use?

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    I use a Super Comp. if we are indeed counting compressors
    Compressors add gain, so they should be counted, as should boost pedals.

My typical chain is usually:

JColoccia Horus > fuzz/drive 1 > fuzz/drive 2 > [modulation] > compressor > echo > boost

It takes a decent amount of work to end up with a tone that's still dynamic and touch-sensitive but also has harmonic richness. Here's an example of what I am talking about: in the clip below, the guitars are using the chain described above plus some other goodies added at the mix phase.

The intro guitar cacaphony is not me, it's a field recording I made at Guitar Center Union Square.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-05-2015, 07:18 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have one for LP types (Boss turbo OD with turbo turned off), one for Strat types (BSM HS) and I use a Big Muff (forgot which variant) for the "singing".

However, my amps have as much gain as I want (Shiva, with the ENGL Blackmore probably replacing it) so pedals are not in that great demand.

Comment

5 in total - 3 fuzzes and 2 overdrive/distortions.
        The fuzzes are a Joyo Ultimate Octave, A big muff clone and a Boss Hyper FuzzThen a Crazy Cacti OD and a Wampler Pinnacle. I mainly use the Boss pedal as a boost (has a gain boost mode) and the big muff and ultimate octave have pretty different tones. My amp is usually on the edge of crunch which works well with most of these pedals.
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

I use my amp gain or my big muff Π at the moment. I would consider adding the right overdrive pedal to my setup but I haven't found the right one yet.
          Soundcloud

Comment

I have two, but it is one or the other; I don't mix them. A treble booster and Scarab Fuzz. I would like to add a Bogner Ecstasy dirt pedal and then I think I'd be set. That way I'd have two classic old-school methods of dirt, and one killer, more modern method of dirt.

Comment

Scarab or Scarab Deluxe?
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

SD Pickup Booster and SD Tweak Fuzz on just about all the time. I've got another fuzz and OD not on the board, plus a berhinger overdrive that is on the board and gets used on occasion.
                ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Typically, none. I'm usually playing rhythm on a Mesa, and when it comes to playing rhythm pedals kill the feel of the amp for me.

On the rare occasion I'll play a lead I bring an FD2 for the added sustain and mid bump.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

On my board at the moment there are two. I have a Lovepedal OD-11 for my main gain sound, fairly transparent and biting. I also have a Spark Booster pedal after it, but I don't really use it as a boost. I generally just keep it on my board as an amp fixer, eg in case I get to a gig or practice space that has a poor backline, I just use the Spark Booster as my main 'amp'. I've even played gigs straight to the board with just the Spark shaping my basic clean tone and adding a bit of responsive grit to it.

The gigs that I get a really good backline (actually, most gigs to be honest, most places have some basic fender tube amp laying around) then the pedal never gets used the entire set.

I'm looking into getting a fuzz pedal to use as well, though given how dynamic they seem to be from the ones I've tested, it might just outright replace my OD-11.

I'm a big fan of minimalism on my board, having the bare minimum to get the sound I need, nothing wasted, nothing for 'oh just one part of a song'. Any more and I get a bit obsessive and spend the night tapdancing rather than playing.
                    '
                    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                    Andrew - None

Comment

Lemme see:

ZVex Fuzzolo: for splatty fuzz, or with guitar volume rolled down, barely fuzzy fuzz.

Home made LSB boost: A friend made it based on the Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster but with rotary switches to control input & output values. Total genius into a dirty amp or pedal.

MXR Classic Overdrive: It's a Tube Screamer. Green and everything. I use this to bump up mids and sustain from time to time. It's more of an emergency pedal for when my too-gainy setup loses all definition.

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff: Soon to be replaced by a Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest, which is more of a fuzzy overdrive. The Muff is for big, buzzy distortion. Remarkably it goes last in the chain and works very well with other pedals. It can tolerate any amount of input gain and still sound like a Muff, which is both its blessing and its curse.

I also have:

Drat: A friend made me this Rat clone, but it's a pretty polite Rat. I use it occasionally.
                      Joyo Crunch Distortion: Marshall-in-a-box just ain't for me.
                      Devi Ever Bit: My favorite fuzz of all time, but it often doesn't cut through well live.

Really, though I'm early in the process of weeding out. I've generally used one overdrive and one fuzz or distortion., and I imagine, I'll get back to one overdrive/boost, one splatty fuzz and one distortion into a clean amp, or one fuzz and one boost into a dirty amp for alt rock, doom and scuzzy pop. The splatty fuzz is like a special effect, it's not too distracting. I need a bunch of different levels of gain for the type of music I'm doing right now, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.
                      Last edited by Maggot; 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I run my amp to the point of break up and use a Wren and Cuff Mercy Phuk as an overdrive for my base tone. For leads and heavy doomy drones I use the Caprid, and for leads and some rhythm stuff I'll use a Tall Font Russian.

I use the same stuff on bass and lap steel. Also have a Skreddy P19, Lunar Module, Hoof, and Stomp Under Foot Green Russian, but I'm just really vibing with the Wren and Cuff stuff right now.

Comment

1. ProCo Rat 2
                          2. Mad Professor Golden Cello
                          3. Mad Professor "1"
                          4. EHX Metal Muff w/Top Boost

All through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a modded gain channel.

Comment

I like my options. I've been in the loooong process of building up my selection of guitars and pedals to make sure I can get *exactly* the sounds I want, when I want - not making do with what I have on hand, then trying to fake it with processing.

Which basically means buy a few things, play 'em, learn 'em, and see how they change the palette.

Right now, I'm using two MXRs (a Classic Overdrive, and a Classic Distortion), a 7XL Pi Fuzz (made by a local guy, John McNeece - sounds awesome!), a Joyo Baby Boom fuzz, an EH LPB-1... I think that's it, though I have an Ibanez TS-5 with a broken switch I'm thinking of putting into a metal case and lightly modding... All go into an Egnater Tweaker, which - while I'm happy with the variety of gain voices I have on hand - seems to really be lacking bass response.
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

i have a ton of them but usually use some where between none to three. none if i can crank the amp and have a long cable. one if i can sorta crank the amp or only have 12' and need a cable jumper. usually the pedal would be either a red dot sunface or vox valvetone with the analogman silver mod. if i cant crank the amp so its pretty clean ill use my little board that has timmy and a jetter red shift. sometimes ill put the sunface at the front of that.

Comment

At the moment, I only have my Real Tube 901(12AU7) on my board. It doesn't get used very often with my Mesa amps, but has come in handy over the years when I have to use someone else's amp. The real secret weapon on my board is an old DOD FX10 Preamp that I use for just a slight amount for an always-on clean boost, mostly with the G&L Legacys and their vintage single coils.

I am thinking that I would like to have some kind of M-I-A-B pedal for Malcolm's tone. A fuzz would be interesting to have, perhaps the EH Satisfaction, it really nails that nastiness. The Soul Food seems so versatile, might have to pick up one of those too. I really like the TWEED mode on my Mark V's clean channel and I'd love to capture that in a pedal.

Bill
                                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                                X