banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Drive/Gain/Fuzz/Distortion pedals do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many Drive/Gain/Fuzz/Distortion pedals do you use?

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    Scarab or Scarab Deluxe?
    Homebuilt Scarab Deluxe

Comment

Amp = clean. Breakup only when picked hard.
      Pedals: DOD 250 (OD, and for "clean" solos) -> Modified RAT (main distortion)-> Wampler Pinnacle (secondary distortion)

I don't know exactly *how* it was modified, and I'm not willing to divulge my benefactor's secrets, but I know that it clips asymmetrically (1 Ge diode, and 1 Si diode), and that the bass is increased while the high is softened. Sits very well in a band mix. I had a friend of mine try it for a week, and all of his circle came asking him how he got such a nice tone at a low-volume gig out of the RAT.
      Last edited by Archer250; 04-06-2015, 07:06 PM.
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I have two from visual sound, the open road & drivetrain, both ods but different sounding from eachother. The OR doesn't have a lot of mid boost but sounds sorta amp like in its gain sound, the DT on the other behaves like a tubescreamer but with bass & treble controls to adjust. I like using less gain on the amp & using these alone or stacked,helps to keep ghe white noise down that way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          .........................I really like the TWEED mode on my Mark V's clean channel and I'd love to capture that in a pedal.

Bill
          Have you tried the Wampler Tweed 57?

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
            Amp = clean. Breakup only when picked hard.
            Pedals: DOD 250 (OD, and for "clean" solos) -> Modified RAT (main distortion)-> Wampler Pinnacle (secondary distortion)

I don't know exactly *how* it was modified, and I'm not willing to divulge my benefactor's secrets, but I know that it clips asymmetrically (1 Ge diode, and 1 Si diode), and that the bass is increased while the high is softened. Sits very well in a band mix. I had a friend of mine try it for a week, and all of his circle came asking him how he got such a nice tone at a low-volume gig out of the RAT.
            I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but that sounds like he changed a couple of caps and run a 1n34a/1n4148 or something - honestly something like a bat41 would work really well too and is closer to the fv or a germanium so it would only be slightly asymmetrical.

I say 1n34a because those are the most common germanium diodes, but it could be a 1n60a or even an oa126 or d9e, all of which are popular choices.

If I were going to mod a rat, I would go for something like two red LEDs instead because those have a really high fv and aggressive bite which IMO pairs sounds great in that application. But, germanium is definitely something I'd like to try... Hmmm
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

The turbo Rat is LEDs, right?

Thinking about picking up an OCD... I need something more saturated for rhythm stuff with a Strat. Good choice?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I use one OD which is always on and one fuzz for added flavor.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                  I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but that sounds like he changed a couple of caps and run a 1n34a/1n4148 or something - honestly something like a bat41 would work really well too and is closer to the fv or a germanium so it would only be slightly asymmetrical.

I say 1n34a because those are the most common germanium diodes, but it could be a 1n60a or even an oa126 or d9e, all of which are popular choices.

If I were going to mod a rat, I would go for something like two red LEDs instead because those have a really high fv and aggressive bite which IMO pairs sounds great in that application. But, germanium is definitely something I'd like to try... Hmmm
                  He used the stock You Dirty Rat Ge diodes, apparently.
                  Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    The turbo Rat is LEDs, right?

Thinking about picking up an OCD... I need something more saturated for rhythm stuff with a Strat. Good choice?
                    Yes, they are. Stock RAT 2 is Si, You Dirty is Ge, and Turbo is LED.

Comment

I'm down to 3. I use an SP compressor for a little boost and sustain, a Boss SD-1W for 80's crunch/lead and a Wampler Velvet Fuzz for the big leads. I'm thinking of ditching the Boss and just running my Marshall a little hotter, since I roll back the volume for clean anyway.

EDIT: I traded the SD1W for a v2 Timmy - way more versatile! I'm running the Gain at 9:00 with the volume at unity. Now I can get bluesy with guitar volume at around 5, crunch at 7 and lead at 10 - I'm liking it so much it may bump my fuzz off the board!
                      Last edited by GAS-a-holic; 04-21-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Got the slow Loris (madbean rat-alike circuit) populated the other day, along with the Jack orman booster/fulltone fat boost/ madbean fat boostered circuit. Need to drill the enclosure but when it's up and running it will be an 18v rat with selectable diodes and a boost pedal strapped on the end.

So right now I have that, the madbean flabulanche, the madbean 8ball, the General guitar gadgets bluesbreaker, a heavily modded boss SD-1, a rimrock mythical overdrive (klone), a dual boost pedal (one side is the runoffgroove omega which is a jfet-based treble booster, and one half madbean fatpants with added compression) and the rullywow queen of bone (king of tone with onboard charge pump for 18v internal operation)

The goal is to have one drive pedal lol... The reality is I have a constantly rotating inventory of pedal projects to satisfy my boost/drive obsession haha
                        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                          Have you tried the Wampler Tweed 57?
                          I tried it once and wasn't impressed, but I was in a hurry that day and didn't really get to give it a full test. I'm told the Wampler Plexi-drive might work too.

The quest continues...

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                            I tried it once and wasn't impressed, but I was in a hurry that day and didn't really get to give it a full test. I'm told the Wampler Plexi-drive might work too.

The quest continues...

Bill
                            Bearfoot Honey Bee Overdrive or the Mad Professor Sweet Honey overdrive. Not sure how they will stack up with the Mark V mode, but they both sound very Tweedy to me!
                            Go Packers!

Comment

Before I got into tube amps and began playing shows with the band (years ago) I used a toneblaster on the clean channel with a Line 6 uber metal distortion pedal. to this day..I still think it was the best pedal for distortion I have ever owned. you could Dial in just about ANY sound from it AAAND it had a built in noise gate. I thought it was the best thing in the world haha, until I got into tube amps and hush pedals lol. I also owned the BOSS mega distortion and the Behringer ultra metal pedal..which was junk lol.

Comment

My Marshall JVM has a footswitch. OD channel, gain on 4, and Slay away.

Comment

Working...
                                X