banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Pedal board question and a rate my rig type question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pedal board question and a rate my rig type question..

First, I have decided to go with a Pedal train board. Id prefer some of the other brands as I like a flat deck and enclosed case, vs the open rack style of the PT. But Im going to have to finance and I cant finance one of the other brands.

First the question.. Im running 7 pedals, may go 8 tops. most are normal size except the mxr 10 band eq and one is a wah. Approx what size board do you suppose Ill need? I was gonna go with something similar to the one I built, but it is pretty square, 18x19, so it really doesnt match the sizing of the pedal trains as they are more rectangular. So, which size would fit about 8 pedals?

Next, here is what Im running. Please tell me if I have most of my tonal bases covered if I were to start gigging. And if I have something that would be useless.

1) Im getting a Jerry Cantrell wah. (replacing my vox)

2) Im getting a MXR Carbon copy. (replacing my Boss DD7) Delay

3) Holy grail Nano. reverb

4) Boss NS2. noise reduction

5) MXR Ten band EQ. shape (really helps with the Splawn)

6) Green Rhino. (boost)

7)Boss CE5 . chorus

Thats what Im thinking for a standard set up. Anything I might should add that I may need regularly? Or anything that I have listed that may be pretty useless? I have a bunch of other pedals I can rotate in if the situation calls for it. Such as a Phase 90, MXR Flanger, etc..

Most likely, once I get my main board dialed in, I may use my current board for a "flavor board" and mount flavor effects on it , such as the Phase, flange, etc.

Thanks for your input!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Another Pedal board question and a rate my rig type question..

Www.pedalboardplanner.com

Wah on-board would probably be a PT Jr., but consider using the Wah off-board and see if you can squeeze them onto a PT Mini. Also, if cost is an issue, you can make a very similar board (to custom size) out of wood stock, glue and screws for a lot cheaper.

For feedback items, if those are your pedal requirements, they look good. One thing to think about, how will you power? 9V, One-Spot or Power Supply?
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-13-2015, 09:09 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Wah on-board would probably be a PT Jr., but consider using the Wah off-board and see if you can squeeze them onto a PT Mini. Also, if cost is an issue, you can make a very similar board (to custom size) out of wood stock, glue and screws for a lot cheaper.

For feedback items, if those are your pedal requirements, they look good. One thing to think about, how will you power? 9V, One-Spot or Power Supply?
      +1
      the pedal board planner is what I used
      the pedal train I got came with a soft case/bag that it fits in
      for just a bit more you can get a hard case

once you decide what lay out you want
      the pedal board planner has an option to save a jpeg
      which you can post here sose we can see.....so we can see.....what tomorrow might bring
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for the info! Im currently using a homemade board and planning to upgrade. Years ago, I made a huge enclosed box and had all my pedals in it and had something like an industrial 20 plug power strip mounted in it, warts, adapters. The thing was ungodly heavy. Worse thing is, the latches I installed werent up to the task of keeping the lid attached to the bottom. But the thing weighed probably 80 lbs..

I more recently build a nice little 18x 19 inch board with 2 levels and it works pretty well. Have a power strip mounted under neath and it looks somewhat tidy. So, as I said in my orig post, once I buy a board for my main setup, Ill use that board and mount my "flavor" or color pedals to it. Phase,flange, etc. So If I need those, Ill have em ready. I just want to get streamlined where I can set up rather quickly and all. After I buy a board, and get it paid off, Ill then buy a proper power source for it. Either the PT one or a voodoo labs. That way, I dont have all the wiring mess zip tied up underneath . Less failure prone too. My current setup, got a short somewhere and it was a nightmare trying to figure out why it kept failing..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

With that in mind, the Pedaltrain Jr, 1, 2, 3 & Pro are far easier to mount one or more power supplies to, the angle and spacing are ideal, and there are specialty brackets for VL Supplies as well as generic brackets. As far as I know, only the Volto fits under the Mini without modification. (You can still fit a supply in the trough of the Mini quite well though)

I'm not sure about this new line of boards they are introducing this spring.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What, no Metalzone?

Comment

My pt2 came with brackets for power supply and velcro
              And the soft case with an external pocket and shoulder strap

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

dd7 to carbon copy is a drastic change. One is dark and brooding, the other is bright and almost sterile. I'd consider something like the new duncan delay that has a bright yet warm sound, and seems to be the best of both worlds..
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I know most people expect a materialistic answer from me, but no. Stay Calm, and play your guitar. LOL
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hey PFDarkside, Wife is out of town, so getting the bck to this project. (FINALLY) You asked about power supply.. I have come a long way.. I used to use separate adapters for every pedal, then had to use the adapter things with the flat pad to plug the adapter into that turns into a single cord. (cant think what its called) Then plugged those into a power strip mounted on the board. Then I bought a couple of one spots. Big diff in looks, weight and clutter reduction.. I have recently bought a little power source thats about 6"x2" that will power 8 pedals. Ill mount that underneath (soon as I get some brackets).

I have my color pedals on the top row and others on bottom. Ill be able to chain them all into the front or can run color pedals into amps loop.

Getting things narrowed down. Top row is gonna be : MXR 10 band EQ - Boss chorus - MXR Carbon Copy - Holy grail Nano verb to the loop

Bottom ROW : Jerry Cantrel Wah - FTL Drive (this may change) - Way Huge Green Rhino - Noise suppressor to the front end of the amp

I have a few diff dirt pedals, but am not completely sold on any of them. I know I want a Tubescreamer type, thus the green Rhino, but not sure what other one. Ive yet to try an OCD or Suhr Riot. both of those intrigue me.

Thoughts on the order? Sound like Ill have a plenty of bases covered?

As I said before, Ill build another board for more color pedals.. Flange, phase etc. Right now Im just trying to cover basics with this one..
                    Thanks

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Pedalboard planner is awesome BUT they don't have the Mad Professor Golden Cello, Stone Grey Distortion and "1"... lol I just used the other MPs that were the same size. lol

Cool thing and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        I have recently bought a little power source thats about 6"x2" that will power 8 pedals. Ill mount that underneath (soon as I get some brackets).

I'm going thru the same process myself, and it's not as simple as I thought it was. I used to think you could just plug 'em in and go.

- Have you checked to make sure all your pedals have a negative ground? A few have positive grounds and can burn out with a negative ground power supply.

- Do you know whether your pedals are true bypass, buffered, or hard wired? Having everything true bypass isn't necessarily a good thing when you have a number of pedals on a board.

- Also, what's the output of your power supply in MA, and do you know the current draw of your pedals? Some pedals are power hogs, and you may not have enough current to go around if you have multiple pedals on at the same time.

There's plenty of info online about what order to put your pedals in.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Regular gigging board without a TUNER pedal is blasphemy! Lol

Well i dont use one anymore since i got the NS micro tuner by daddario recently. I was gonna do a ngd thread since i redid by entire live setup but later on with that. The carbon copy can be too dark with a not so bright amp, to a point where it may not even be audible in a mix. I would suggest the truetone single tap delay is worth looking into, as is the flashback & hardwire dl8.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                            Regular gigging board without a TUNER pedal is blasphemy! Lol

Well i dont use one anymore since i got the NS micro tuner by daddario recently. I was gonna do a ngd thread since i redid by entire live setup but later on with that. The carbon copy can be too dark with a not so bright amp, to a point where it may not even be audible in a mix. I would suggest the truetone single tap delay is worth looking into, as is the flashback & hardwire dl8.
                            Ha! Thankfully my USA Fender Strat stays in tune (proper setup at work here) and I only tune all 6 strings once a month–the high E and B strings usually need just a slight tweaking after some lead playing. I've debated about getting a Polytune pedal but my ancient lil Korg CA-30 works perfectly...

EDIT: But I still feel like a Polytune will be a purchase someday soon

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                              Thankfully my USA Fender Strat stays in tune (proper setup at work here) and I only tune all 6 strings once a month

You're obviously not bending nearly enough.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X