banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Pedal board question and a rate my rig type question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Pedal board question and a rate my rig type question..

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    You're obviously not bending nearly enough.
    Ha! I play Rock/Blues style at a Church every Sunday plus my practice time. 2 Point tremolo set up correctly stays in tune remarkably well

Comment

I'm going thru the same process myself, and it's not as simple as I thought it was. I used to think you could just plug 'em in and go.

- Have you checked to make sure all your pedals have a negative ground? A few have positive grounds and can burn out with a negative ground power supply.

- Do you know whether your pedals are true bypass, buffered, or hard wired? Having everything true bypass isn't necessarily a good thing when you have a number of pedals on a board.

- Also, what's the output of your power supply in MA, and do you know the current draw of your pedals? Some pedals are power hogs, and you may not have enough current to go around if you have multiple pedals on at the same time.

There's plenty of info online about what order to put your pedals in.
      I "THINK" Im ok there.. I know a couple of my pedals are 18v as opposed to 9 and such. I think maybe my ADA flanger is one. IIRC there arent any 18v ones going on this board. My power supply does have a couple of extra ports for oddities. One 18v and something else. I think and HOPE Ill be ok.. If not, Ill have to keep some quirky rigging going on..

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      Regular gigging board without a TUNER pedal is blasphemy! Lol

Well i dont use one anymore since i got the NS micro tuner by daddario recently. I was gonna do a ngd thread since i redid by entire live setup but later on with that. The carbon copy can be too dark with a not so bright amp, to a point where it may not even be audible in a mix. I would suggest the truetone single tap delay is worth looking into, as is the flashback & hardwire dl8.
      I will invest in a good board tuner down the road. I have a nice one (arion) thats ancient (think I bought it in 1984..??)) I also have a nice little Sabine unit that I could probably mount on the board. But mostly Ive been using my headstock clip on one.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Be sure to account for space taken up by input/output jacks. The mini plugs made by Lava Cable can save you real estate if you just don't have quite enough space.

And +1 on the onboard tuner. The Korg Pitchblack is great because it has BIG letters and is easy to see onstage, it has a 9V daisy chain output on it so you can power another pedal, and it acts as a stage mute when engaged. I have two, one for each board. I gotta have a tuner cause I play like an ape.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          Hey PFDarkside, Wife is out of town, so getting the bck to this project. (FINALLY) You asked about power supply.. I have come a long way.. I used to use separate adapters for every pedal, then had to use the adapter things with the flat pad to plug the adapter into that turns into a single cord. (cant think what its called) Then plugged those into a power strip mounted on the board. Then I bought a couple of one spots. Big diff in looks, weight and clutter reduction.. I have recently bought a little power source thats about 6"x2" that will power 8 pedals. Ill mount that underneath (soon as I get some brackets).
          Sounds good! I built up both of my boards when my wife was out of town, so much extra time as long as the honey do is complete. Are you using the Splawn still? If so, you have a lot of gain options available there, add in a TS style and possibly an OCD for a different type of boost and you've got a rockin rig!

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          Pedalboard planner is awesome BUT they don't have the Mad Professor Golden Cello, Stone Grey Distortion and "1"... lol I just used the other MPs that were the same size. lol

Cool thing and thanks for sharing!
          For the ones that aren't in their database, I use the same brand/size, then use MSpaint if I want an accurate visual representation. Also, they have a generic size that you can input dimensions to if you want. Finally, they say all they need is a high quality photo and an accurate size and they'll add a pedal to the database. The one I really miss is the new mini Fuzz Face.

I'm going thru the same process myself, and it's not as simple as I thought it was. I used to think you could just plug 'em in and go.

- Have you checked to make sure all your pedals have a negative ground? A few have positive grounds and can burn out with a negative ground power supply.

- Do you know whether your pedals are true bypass, buffered, or hard wired? Having everything true bypass isn't necessarily a good thing when you have a number of pedals on a board.

- Also, what's the output of your power supply in MA, and do you know the current draw of your pedals? Some pedals are power hogs, and you may not have enough current to go around if you have multiple pedals on at the same time.

There's plenty of info online about what order to put your pedals in.
          Really good point about polarity. There are a few off the wall Japanese pedals that are positive ground. I think most are older, but always a good idea to check. Also, why don't all pedals have a reverse voltage protection diode? $.10 part can save a pedal....
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
            Ha! Thankfully my USA Fender Strat stays in tune (proper setup at work here) and I only tune all 6 strings once a month–the high E and B strings usually need just a slight tweaking after some lead playing. I've debated about getting a Polytune pedal but my ancient lil Korg CA-30 works perfectly...

EDIT: But I still feel like a Polytune will be a purchase someday soon
            Are those locking type tuners on it, the kind that don't turn if someone or thing bumped into them? I dont have locking ones on any of my guitars(all floating trem), wasn't much interested in the idea, strings stretch themselves depending on heat & other stuff, so the idea of permanent lockdown never seemed useful, since temperatures vary on gigs or home & along with humidity can cause me tuning grief since i live along the coastal side.

Lucky though yours stay in tune even with bending alot, change the springs every two months or something like the tremol-no installed in there? Actually something like the tremolono has been on my get to list someday..

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Really good point about polarity.

I have a recent-production tuner pedal that's positive ground. Some pedals have the key specs printed right on them, many are either incomplete or have nothing. As I'm redoing my pedal boards, I'm checking mfg sites and taking notes on specs so I can get everything set up right.

If you have 4 or 5 true bypass pedals on your board, you may need a buffer in there somewhere to boost frequencies and output lost travelling thru all those cords and jacks. How pedals are designed effects their power consumption and whether they're 'tone suckers' when off, which is something you need to be aware of.

Like was simpler without pedals...
              Last edited by blueman335; 10-17-2015, 10:41 AM.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

For the ones that aren't in their database, I use the same brand/size, then use MSpaint if I want an accurate visual representation. Also, they have a generic size that you can input dimensions to if you want. Finally, they say all they need is a high quality photo and an accurate size and they'll add a pedal to the database. The one I really miss is the new mini Fuzz Face.
                EDIT: That is what I did, just used another Mad Professor that was the same size

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                Are those locking type tuners on it, the kind that don't turn if someone or thing bumped into them? I dont have locking ones on any of my guitars(all floating trem), wasn't much interested in the idea, strings stretch themselves depending on heat & other stuff, so the idea of permanent lockdown never seemed useful, since temperatures vary on gigs or home & along with humidity can cause me tuning grief since i live along the coastal side.

Lucky though yours stay in tune even with bending alot, change the springs every two months or something like the tremol-no installed in there? Actually something like the tremolono has been on my get to list someday..
                Mine does not have locking tuners on it–I got it in trade for a MIK Ibanez SZ2020. It has a 2000 MIA Standard Neck neck on a 2001 USA Deluxe Body. Just the standard USA Tuners on it. Once set up right properly the tuning was phenomenal–one of the most stable guitars I've played. I use to not like traditional Strats for tuning reasons but there are some helpful YouTube videos on how to set it up properly.

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                  Be sure to account for space taken up by input/output jacks. The mini plugs made by Lava Cable can save you real estate if you just don't have quite enough space.

And +1 on the onboard tuner. The Korg Pitchblack is great because it has BIG letters and is easy to see onstage, it has a 9V daisy chain output on it so you can power another pedal, and it acts as a stage mute when engaged. I have two, one for each board. I gotta have a tuner cause I play like an ape.
                  Thanks for the tip, but yes, I did leave room for cables/jacks. I actually built the board with enough room that I could jam another pedal or two on it if I had too. Trying to keep space enough to make accurate changes and all.

I'll probably to with an onboard tuner down the road.. thanks for the suggestion!
                  Sounds good! I built up both of my boards when my wife was out of town, so much extra time as long as the honey do is complete. Are you using the Splawn still? If so, you have a lot of gain options available there, add in a TS style and possibly an OCD for a different type of boost and you've got a rockin rig!

Really good point about polarity. There are a few off the wall Japanese pedals that are positive ground. I think most are older, but always a good idea to check. Also, why don't all pedals have a reverse voltage protection diode? $.10 part can save a pedal....
                  Sadly, not getting much done with the spousal unit being gone. Still have work and still dealing with my youngest daughter that is giving us fits right now. So Im not getting the time I was hoping for..
                  Yeah, still using the Splawn. I need to get my JCM800 refurbed. Yeah, the Splawn does deliver the goods gain wise, so Im not looking to go overboard. Thats why the Marshall Jackhammer and bunches of others are in a box... Also, the guy that sold it to me recommended using the MXR 10 band and that can juice it up some too. So Im pretty set with the Green Rhino and maybe or maybe not something else. I wanted a box of rock for years, but think that is more for Juicing up a clean amp and not overdriving a hot one. There is a dude on youtube that uses an OCD (IIRC) with many of the hot amps he demos and it just turns things up a notch. Thats why that pedal comes to mind. Think the dude is like fastredponycar or something. Been a coupla years since I checked him out, so dont hold me to that.. haha

Now ya'll have me scared on the polarity.. I think Ill be ok as most of my pedals (as mentioned) are pretty modern and I assume up to code and all. Now on my second board Ill be more wary as I have a slighty bigger mixture. (most are still modern) Phase 90, mxr flanger... But have an old PV chorus that sounds great..

One more quick side note, I couldnt find what I had in mind to attach the power supply, so just gonna velcro it. Once I decide for sure on the board layout, Ill prolly velcro the pedals too. Right now Im using some slotted anchors and zip ties. ( I was trying to avoid sticking stuff on the pedals, but the zip tie method is alittle floppy..)
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post

Now ya'll have me scared on the polarity.. I think Ill be ok as most of my pedals (as mentioned) are pretty modern and I assume up to code and all.
                    Some recent/current pedals are positive ground, so don't assume that only old pedals have that. You should really check your pedal, manual, or mfg website. Many players don't use pedal boards (especially in some genres), so not all manufacturers are concerned being 'pedal board friendly' as far as size, current draw, voltage, and polarity. It's better to find out what each pedal is before it's on your board, than to fry one.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Some recent/current pedals are positive ground, so don't assume that only old pedals have that. You should really check your pedal, manual, or mfg website. Many players don't use pedal boards (especially in some genres), so not all manufacturers are concerned being 'pedal board friendly' as far as size, current draw, voltage, and polarity. It's better to find out what each pedal is before it's on your board, than to fry one.
                      Oh yeah, absolutely! My previous set up, I was using the correct adapter for each pedal, so it was a no brainer. when I switched to the one spots, I made sure all the polarities were correct. I think there are 2 pedals that differ (one cuz it takes an 18v adapter), so Ive continued to use the adapters fir those 2. So, going to this power supply, Ill make sure to double check. One cool thing is that this supply has 1 cable that will reverse it if needed.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Forgot I had these pix..
                        Here is my orig board:

(look at that wiring fiasco!!)

Then I built this one:

Ive changed pedals on it. Will get a recent shot when Im done..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I don't know what kind of music you're playing, but if you're doing anything electric
                          through a tube amp and your singer doesn't sound like the Cookie Monster®,
                          I highly recommend an EP-3 preamp like so:

Badgereffects Badgerplex

It's the "always-on" pedal.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Not playing in a band yet. I try to play blues to metal with a preference for 80s type metal.. No Cookie monster or dropped thru the basement tunings... Play thru a Splawn quickrod.

Pretty cool looking pedal!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

+1 for ep-style pedals. I built a veroboard copy of madbean's "fatpants" which is an EP-style preamp that lets you adjust the bias for more or less saturation (more saturation = more bass/low mids so it sounds fatter)

Interestingly enough the xotic ep's volume control changes bias in the same way. Unlike the xotic though the madbean has an on-board charge pump which IMO sounds better than even using an 18-24v supply. Idk why but it allows me to use my 9v supply so no complaints there.

I just bought 3 boards from madbean as they released a Jr. Sized fatpants board. This version uses an additional cap and diode to up the internal voltage to 27v, which is fine for a j201 but too much for an mpf102 which is the closest thing to a tis58 that doesn't cost $20+ a pop. But, with a few more caps you can bring the supply voltage down to 24v which is dead-nuts where you need to be for an authentic ep style boost.

Basically I love EP-style boosts... They're so simple you can really tailor them to your needs and once you use one you won't ever want to go back haha
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Oh, some people have questioned why my bottom "shelf" is under the side beams and not on top.?? I debated a LONG time whether to go top or bottom. I went bottom to keep the most used pedals as low as possible. Esp the the WAH. Made the pull out to get the WAH almost floor level. With my diabetes, my ankles swell, so its more comfy if I dont have bend my ankles as far.. It was function over form. Id have liked the look better on top. Also, because of that, I had to cut a notch in the side for the cable to come to the side of the WAH.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X