X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jtougas
    replied
    Re: I give up - whaddaya do?

It's not as big as it looks - basically a double wide MXR.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

That actually sounds great, but I prefer something in an MXR sized enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

Greer Tarpit?

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    Did it start with Lazarus innocently asking to test out pedals without committing to take the new->used price hit?
    Not quite. It started with me not being totally satisfied with something I purchased. Most places will accept returns so that's not the issue. Since then I've decided to live with the fuzz I bought and adjust to it. I may keep shopping and hold on to this one too. It is part of the insanity.

In any case, it hasn't been given a fair chance on a guitar strung with month old 9s.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Did it start with Lazarus innocently asking to test out pedals without committing to take the new->used price hit?

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

Re-read the thread and get back to me...

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

I'm lost.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

We're working with hypotheticals here, dude, aren't we? ... (but yes, Universal Audio does have both physical hardware and digital emulations of their stuff)

I don't know of any manufacturer that does what you describe on pg 2 - letting you upload a sound clip, process it, and email it or a link back to you... the labor costs associated with it would be... yeah, no.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Wait this vendor has the same product as digital plugin and as pedal?

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

It's not devaluing the physical product, otherwise Universal Audio wouldn't be selling both the hardware and the emulation plugins. It's working to different market segments - the people that play the pedal on the floor in front of the amp will still do so, while the studio rats (like myself) will take that pedal emulation, and try it out on a drum track, a bass track, a vocal track, a keyboard track, and use it in ways we wouldn't otherwise be able to do as easily.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

I don't think that writing a digital emulation would make sense either sound wise or business wise. That's instantly devaluing the physical product.

It might still be cheaper than accepting lots and lots of returns. You aren't comparing a pedal tryout to a page load. You are comparing a pedal tryout to mailing it out and maybe back.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    I didn't mean emulation. I meant streaming through the actual pedal.
    Ummm, yeah, no. Servers don't generally have audio cards in 'em, for one. Second, you'd have to have an individual I/O for each pedal/user combination (can't run multiple people through the same pedal at the same time). And if you're a reasonably large company with a reasonably active fan base, that adds up to a *LOT* of soundcards and power for pedals in an environment where power's already on a budget and your temperature is closely monitored. And daisy-chaining effects? F$%^ No. I wouldn't want to wire that matrix, much less program it.

At one point earlier today, this website had 1076 people visiting it. Say half of them wanted to audition a pedal... 500 people * 7 pedals, plus power... No. Nope, not gonna do it.

The VST concept is much more realistic, but would still eat your server cpu cycles - you'd need to have clusters dedicated for it.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    Digital pedals would be easier - there's already sourcecode. Analog, and getting the emulation accurate? Not cheap. And that doesn't cover how you integrate it into a website. Flash development is going the way of the dodo, with HTML5 expanding.

On the other hand, they would also be able to convert it to VST plugin sales, sooo... *shrug*
    I didn't mean emulation. I meant streaming through the actual pedal.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

Digital pedals would be easier - there's already sourcecode. Analog, and getting the emulation accurate? Not cheap. And that doesn't cover how you integrate it into a website. Flash development is going the way of the dodo, with HTML5 expanding.

On the other hand, they would also be able to convert it to VST plugin sales, sooo... *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    I think the software development costs to pull it off would make it prohibitively expensive...
    You would want to do that with an in-house enthusiast. If you bid it out to a contractor you get non-working **** for a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X