Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I give up - whaddaya do?

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    One large board and one small board is all I need.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
      Sorry, did not mean to imply anything, just saying how my experience goes with pedals.
      No offense taken. If I seemed a little edgy it's because I have more than a few pedals that I researched to the Nth degree before purchasing and ultimately relegating them to the large "you don't cut it" bin in the closet.

I came home from work today to give it another run-through, and honetly it sounds pretty good. The amp just needs a push before the pedal comes into its sweet spot.

I am only slightly disappointed with its magnification of single coil hum. In the notch positions it's not a problem. I'm still not sure what to do, though. The small board is intended for places where stage volume is really limited.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

No offense take, and if I seem edgy it's because I have more than a few pedals that I researched to the nth degree before purchasing and ultimately relegating to the big bin in the closet.

I came home from work today to give it anoth run-through, and honetly it sounds pretty good. The amp just needs a push before the pedal comes into its sweet spot.

I am only slightly disappointed with its magnification of single coil hum. In the notch positions it's not a problem. I'm still not sure what to do though. The small board is intended for places where stage volume is really limited.
        That's exactly why Gilmour used an OD along with his BMP since he runs his amps clean.
        Nope...

Comment

I think the dirty little secret in the gear consumer world is that MOST New Pedal Days are bad ones... the effects pedal section of TGP is the most popular section. There is sooooo much to buy there and that's because most people are underwhelmed by their New Pedal Days.

My last 4 pedals were:

Wampler Pinnacle - Bad NPD (ultimately sold it)
          Lovepedal/Hermida ZenDrive - Good NPD
          Bogner Harlow - Good NPD
          Mad Professor Simble - lackluster NPD (ultimately sold it)

And I consider myself a crazy good & very informed consumer... I don't even average 50% success.

Makes me wish I lived next to Mad Ape. Instead, all I've got are GC and Sam Ash an hour away from me. My local store is a joke.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
            I think the dirty little secret in the gear consumer world is that MOST New Pedal Days are bad ones... the effects pedal section of TGP is the most popular section. There is sooooo much to buy there and that's because most people are underwhelmed by their New Pedal Days.

My last 4 pedals were:

Lovepedal/Hermida ZenDrive - Good NPD
            Bogner Harlow - Good NPD
            Mad Professor Simble - lackluster NPD (ultimately sold it)

And I consider myself a crazy good & very informed consumer... I don't even average 50% success.

Makes me wish I lived next to Mad Ape. Instead, all I've got are GC and Sam Ash an hour away from me. My local store is a joke.
            You didn't like your Pinnacle? What amp did you run it through?
            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
              You didn't like your Pinnacle? What amp did you run it through?
              Various blackface Fenders. I liked how dynamic it was but it just had a midrange voicing, low end and treble detail that didn't jive with my playing style. Which was really weird because I felt for sure it was going to be a winner.

I have a friend with some nice vintage British amps but I didn't even bother calling him and seeing if I could run the Pinnacle by. Those amps aren't mine, I just get to borrow them and I was looking for something to use with my rig which is blackface Fenders so that's why I didn't bother.

Been wanting to try the Marvel Drive... and of course I will buy any Weehbo pedal sight unseen or unheard, that company is crazy good.

The Dirty Little Secret was fun but I feel like the Marvel Drive could do the Plexi thing better based on what I have heard and read about it.

I was so happy with the (GC red version) ZenDrive that I had no qualms about selling the Pinnacle. I sold it for stupid cheap too!
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post

My last 4 pedals were:

If I remember correctly, "Pinnacle" is the new name that was given to Wampler's Ecstacy which is actually the OD that I have been testing the P19 with and the OD that will liklely find its place on the small board. It is one of those pedals that does many tricks but only one that works for me. In fact, it works very well for me, but only in the "open" setting.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

If I remember correctly, "Pinnacle" is the new name that was given to Wampler's Ecstacy which is actually the OD that I have been testing the P19 with and the OD that will liklely find its place on the small board. It is one of those pedals that does many tricks but only one that works for me. In fact, it works very well for me, but only in the "open" setting.
                  The Euphoria replaced the Ecstacy and is one of those Wamplers you don't find for sale on TGP. The Ecstacy is pretty much universally well thought of, so you are in a consensus there.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    FYI... I had very good results putting an OD in front of a BMP, like Dave Gilmour does. It smooths out the spikeyness and gives you a very Gilmouresque tone.
                    I tried it both ways yesterday evening and heard and felt little difference. However, I wasn't as loud as I usually play. That is, my ears quit ringing long ago.

I have company coming. When I've had enough I'll try it loud.
                    Last edited by Lazarus1140; 06-19-2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Whaddya do?

I'll tell you what you do...

"Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                        Whaddya do?

I'll tell you what you do...

Win one for the Zipper or land a plane

Comment

I have not tried one.

The guy controlling the pedal is Jeorge Tripps who originally started the Way Huge Pedal line and now has control of the company through Dunlop. He's got some great pedals that are really quirky but awesome at the same time. The Way Huge Green Rhino is an amazing overdrive. But This was my first fuzz and it could do everything.
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I tried it both ways yesterday evening and heard and felt little difference. However, I wasn't as loud as I usually play. That is, my ear quit ringing long ago.

I have company coming. When I've had enough I'll try it loud.
                            By BMP you mean a Big Muff Pi?

I just was messing with a Bass Muff with a TS9 in front of it, through a clean amp and was pleasantly surprised, I normally don't use fuzzes much.

sigpic

Comment

Have you considered building some kind of muff clone, then tweaking it it taste? Worked for me. Ended up selling my pharaoh.
                              Ill bet you can squeeze just the right sound out of a ramshead based unit with enough patience. You can fit muffs in the small hammond enclosure easy.
                              Re; warm not raspy...replace the first two clipping diodes in the muff with LEDs.
                              Also You only need to change the value of one cap also to control how much mid scoop you want. You can easily run a flat eq or even a mid boost with the value of this one capacitor.
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-22-2015, 05:10 PM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Pedalgenie.com !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X